Updated Rain effects

Posted (edited)

what do you think, just tried a quick game at night in heavy rain, vast improvement, but is it too much or just right?

I feel in heavy rain the windscreen should have more coverage of rain to add to that danger of racing through night time in heavy rain.

Edited by watzcoc

5 minutes ago, watzcoc said:

what do you think, just tried a quick game at night in heavy rain, vast improvement, but is it too much or just right?

I feel in heavy rain the windscreen should have more coverage of rain to add to that danger of racing through night time in heavy rain.

it's perfect as it it now,  it should be a little hard to see with hard rain, like IRL

dirtrally2_2019_06_11_13_56_24_056.jpg

• Agree 1

Droplets on screen will be updated in the next release then we will see real picture.

Yup, droplets adjustment didn't make it in this patch. 

• Agree 1

The windscreen droplets fix will be coming in the next patch, it missed the cut off for the 1.5 patch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, virgism said:

Droplets on screen will be updated in the next release then we will see real picture.

25 minutes ago, bogani said:

Yup, droplets adjustment didn't make it in this patch. 

How do you know?

1 minute ago, Esrever said:

How do you know?

Talking with Codemasters devs on Discord.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Esrever said:

How do you know?

The person who answered your post above (urgaffel) is Codemasters' effects wizard 🙂

• Like 1

How are you guys liking it so far? Ignore the windscreen droplets as those havent changed yet.

Compare with the needle rain we had before.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Riggs said:

How are you guys liking it so far? Ignore the windscreen droplets as those havent changed yet.

Compare with the needle rain we had before.

Seems to look great. But I want to wait 'til I get home to see it in motion.

5 minutes ago, warpengage said:

Seems to look great. But I want to wait 'til I get home to see it in motion.

Same.

It's a huge improvement on what it was. Looks great now. And very drivable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, urgaffel said:

The windscreen droplets fix will be coming in the next patch, it missed the cut off for the 1.5 patch.

Since you are responsible about visual effects like raindrops on windscreen, then maby you could tell why windscreen not get dirty even when you turn wipers off (at area where those affect)?
It would be nice to fix automatic wipers or possibility to turn them off when waiting start lights.

New rain effect looks now like it should be, maby some more luxes to headlights and it´s fine.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, SimFunny said:

It would be nice to fix automatic wipers or possibility to turn them off when waiting start lights.

Same about headlights.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SimFunny said:

Since you are responsible about visual effects like raindrops on windscreen, then maby you could tell why windscreen not get dirty even when you turn wipers off (at area where those affect)?

New rain effect looks now like it should be, maby some more luxes to headlights and it´s fine.

Not sure, if you park up the windscreen will get fairly wet. If you drive with the wipers off your screen will get dirty (depending on the surface) and wet.

not sure why you can’t turn off wipers or lights when you’re on the start line, I noticed that when I was working on the windscreen droplets 🙂 i has to wait until the countdown had finished before I could turn things off. However, it would have to be a programmer who’d have to look at that though, I’m just an artist.

headlight strength is also a coder issue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, urgaffel said:

Not sure, if you park up the windscreen will get fairly wet. If you drive with the wipers off your screen will get dirty (depending on the surface) and wet.

Water yes and maby mud but not dust, so at dry gravel.
Area where wipers would move keeps clean, at least with PS4.
But that´s not problem, bigger improve would be if someone could fix that inoperative "automatic wipers" setting at game options. Races are so intensive that there´s not time to push wiper button one second to turn them off :classic_smile:

Maby those coders are already at next project and we can´t get things like that fixed.

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 7:44 AM, urgaffel said:

Did the droplet fix actually make it into 1.6?

I was expecting something else I suppose. Like light rain and showers to have smaller but far more numerous droplets that build up and obscure vision if you aren't using wipers. As it is now, you still don't really need the wipers in most conditions, even with the dirt flying up there. Half those giant drops still vanish on their own after a few moments. Heavy rain drops don't obscure as much as they probably should, either, and light snow still does absolutely nothing at all, basically zero accumulation. Any snow should look like heavy snow does now if you go long enough without wiping, and heavy snow could still probably be amped up even more so.

The size of the rain droplets bother me the most, I think. A single droplet in this game must be made of 5-10ml of fluid, even in the lightest conditions, it's so strange seeing these large drops in any rain after a fresh wiper pass, it's like nothing I've ever seen in reality. Such a silly and minor gripe I know, but something like that still breaks immersion for me every time they appear. I'd beg you to rework all of it, but that's too much effort I know and I'm sure there's more pressing demands than some relatively minor droplet effects. I'm sorry for even posting all this nonsense, haha. Forgive my idiocy.

Edited by pyide
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, pyide said:

Did the droplet fix actually make it into 1.6?

I was expecting something else I suppose. Like light rain and showers to have smaller but far more numerous droplets that build up and obscure vision if you aren't using wipers. As it is now, you still don't really need the wipers in most conditions, even with the dirt flying up there. Half those giant drops still vanish on their own after a few moments. Heavy rain drops don't obscure as much as they probably should, either, and light snow still does absolutely nothing at all, basically zero accumulation. Any snow should look like heavy snow does now if you go long enough without wiping, and heavy snow could still probably be amped up even more so.

The size of the rain droplets bother me the most, I think. A single droplet in this game must be made of 5-10ml of fluid, even in the lightest conditions, it's so strange seeing these large drops in any rain after a fresh wiper pass, it's like nothing I've ever seen in reality. Such a silly and minor gripe I know, but something like that still breaks immersion for me every time they appear. I'd beg you to rework all of it, but that's too much effort I know and I'm sure there's more pressing demands than some relatively minor droplet effects. I'm sorry for even posting all this nonsense, haha. Forgive my idiocy.

Well.... ****. It did make it in and there’s more rain on the screen but now you tell me it’s the wrong kind of rain 😄 back to the drawing board (when I have time). I promise to rework it but can’t say when since I’m busy with other things at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 7/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, urgaffel said:

Well.... ****. It did make it in and there’s more rain on the screen but now you tell me it’s the wrong kind of rain 😄 back to the drawing board (when I have time). I promise to rework it but can’t say when since I’m busy with other things at the moment.

It bothers me personally, but I'd still say it's really not that big of a deal, and I am definitely not the judge of what's right and wrong. I'm sure most people don't and won't care about how rain droplets look and appear/disappear, and on top of that plenty of folks don't even use cockpit view at all. They could be even more like giant gobs of clear jam/jelly than water and it probably wouldn't phase most players.

I've barely seen anyone mention how the deep water splash on Wales for example disappears completely on it's own, when it manages to hit the windscreen (often times it doesn't). When it does it's a huge uniform sheet you can't see through for a moment, but then I wonder why it all magically disappeared in an instant after without wiping it clear? Why is it not 'dirty' at all? Why are there no residual drops and water streaks without a single wiper pass? I imagine the same goes for the size of the rain droplets and how they also vanish on their own, people really don't care about or notice something minor like that with everything else going on. What's in there still manages to do a decent enough job of impacting visibility in some weather types, but definitely not light snow, however. That still doesn't "stick" at all. Again, that's something most people wouldn't think twice about, so what does it matter? They probably don't even realize they don't need to use wipers at all in that condition. So it's a bit of non-issue of something fairly minor to begin with!

On 7/20/2019 at 4:24 PM, urgaffel said:

nah, don't bother. it's great. other stuff is more important.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:24 PM, urgaffel said:

It's a nice effect, but the accumulation without using wipers is important. (as you also saw for water splashes)

Hope you manage to find some time eventually. 🙂