DiRT Rally 2.0 - Input on Inputs!

I've found digital as a handbrake is fine, however, a button is useless every time for me, I've used the h shifter with a rubber band on it for ages.

• Agree 1

In general, the centering force and response of wheel alignment is very good, with the patch the feeling of road imperfections was greatly improved, in my opinion this last effect should be polished a little more, and as many say above, the option of sliding the wheels on the surface should be given, when they skate and when they skid sideways, or when the brakes are nailed, those sensations are the ones that are missing, the feel when the wheels are in direct contact with the track and when they are not (sliding), and also improve the sensation in the landings of the jumps, that do not feel.

Where did we discuss the ffb-thing?? It is not very well structured....

Hi @PJTierney,

Regarding:

Added support for "Manual H-Pattern or Manual Sequential" to transmission options.

Added support for "Manual H-Pattern with Clutch or Manual Sequential" to transmission options.

It works for manual sequential cars, but not for Hpattern clutch cars. I thought when I select the option "Manual H-Pattern with Clutch or Manual Sequential" then the game selects the correct way of shifting, just as in DR1.

17 minutes ago, MarcoMaas said:

Hi @PJTierney,

Regarding:

Added support for "Manual H-Pattern or Manual Sequential" to transmission options.

Added support for "Manual H-Pattern with Clutch or Manual Sequential" to transmission options.

It works for manual sequential cars, but not for Hpattern clutch cars. I thought when I select the option "Manual H-Pattern with Clutch or Manual Sequential" then the game selects the correct way of shifting, just as in DR1.

It should do exactly that, although it appears some cars (e.g. Audi quattro) are flagged as having the wrong transmission type.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caerphoto said:

It should do exactly that, although it appears some cars (e.g. Audi quattro) are flagged as having the wrong transmission type.

Add the Peugeot 205 RallyCross to that list. Do we have a central list somewhere?

And Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (it shows that this car is Manual sequential, but it's manual with clutch)

2 hours ago, virgism said:

And Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (it shows that this car is Manual sequential, but it's manual with clutch)

The Subaru WRX STI NR4 also has the same problem.

These cars have been reported as having a wrong gearbox in the 1.6 bug thread... Probably gonna be patched in the next release...

• Agree 1

Hopefully they also address some cars having the wrong soft lock in the next patch

On 6/14/2019 at 9:12 AM, CarBoyCam said:

Not sure if this has a place in here, but I’ll voice it anyway.

Please can you add support for the PlayStation buttons in the UI when using a T300RS with the stock rim?

When my wheel has buttons like X and O, it’s reallt frustrating that the game shows them as “Button 8” etc.

Pretty sure DualShock 4 controllers show the correct symbols so why not PlayStation wheels?

I'm also frustrated by having the button icons for my Thrustmaster TX wheel show as "3" and "5", instead of X-Box-style button icons like "X" and "A". In DR1 I was able to edit some xml files to change the icons to match how they're labeled on my wheel, and it makes all the non-driving parts of the game so much nicer to use. I was also able to fix the button icons in F1 2017 by editing some xml, so I had hoped that this would be a standard thing you can do for any Codemasters game. Unfortunately I never figured out how to customize the icons in either Dirt 4 or DR2.

It would be great if the button icons displayed correctly out of the box, but I would be happy if at least I could customize the icons by editing the xml configuration file for my wheel.

Hi, just made an account to provide some feedback and hopefully seek some help, using a Logitech Driving Force GT.

• How are you getting on with the input configuration options in-game?

OK, no real problems. Being unable to bind two buttons on the same device to the same action is slightly annoying (e.g. use either the paddles or DFGT shifter to change gears), and it seems a bit of a step backwards from DR1 just because the DFGT was fully supported out-of-the-box.

I've tried to import an XML file to get some better support for the DFGT, but I haven't been able to get it working at all.

• Are they easy to find, easy to understand?

Very easy to find, no complaints.

• Is it easy to understand in-game what each of the settings mean and do?

Slightly more difficult to understand what each setting does because there are no tooltips by the option as there was in DR1. The input settings guide is a great help here, but it's still irritating to have to Alt-Tab back and forth to figure out what an option does.

• Is there anything in this regard you think the team could do better in the future?

Definitely add tooltips as you hover over an option, like in DR1. There's space to the right of the UI, why not use that?

• How are you finding the in-game tools and configuration options?

Calibration was really easy and being able to do it in-game is great - plenty of others need a menu reload or even a restart to change settings like that.

• How do you feel about how the game handles external configuration files? (+How did you configure your unofficial devices?)

I tried making a custom preset for the DFGT following the Multi-Input Device Guide so that I could bind paddles & shifter to shift up/down (as it is in DR1), but couldn't get it to work - when creating a custom lg_driving_force_gt.xml, the game ignores it and loads my manually-bound controls instead. The device ID is correct in the XML and in device_defines, and I've even tried putting the device ID into another wheel's "slot" (e.g. G29) and using that XML instead - no luck. Even tried replacing direct_input_wheel.xml, which just results in the game refusing all inputs (even keyboard) and getting stuck at the title screen.

On PS4, I’m having a problem with trying to use the paddle shifters on the T300 to change gear and a TH8A as the handbrake. The paddles register as L1 and R1 but so does the TH8A no matter where it’s plugged in. I didn’t have this problem in Dirt Rally 1 as the TH8A input was registered as ‘gear stick down’. An update to fix this would be much appreciated.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:56 PM, bobradar said:

3. Make analog handbrakes available under "input reporting" and give us deadzone, saturation, etc adjustments just like pedals.

Is there any news/progress on analog handbrakes? Whether it's being considered or prioritised...?

Besides the requests in this thread, there seem to be plenty of other threads, but I've seen no official statement anywhere yet.

Or at the very least, for those of us with an analog axis mapped to this binary input, please can we have some way of configuring a basic deadzone? Otherwise the in-game handbrake keeps engaging for fractions of a second due to vibrations or movement of the wheel/cockpit/whatever the input device might be attached to, which will obviously affect the control & pace of the car.

DR2.0's input-mapping & multi-device handling are so much improved over the original DR & other CM games, but the handbrake seems to be the one thing that I think I'll still need to use a 3rd-party tool for.

• Like 1

Finally, I found my best FFB configuration: I can feel the understeer, sacrificing a little the "sound" of the suspension.

I play on Xbox one with Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback, here is my configuration:

IMG_20190816_155050.thumb.jpg.7806f90e0465fbd2efc0f7154c4f3b9b.jpgIMG_20190816_155103.thumb.jpg.76d2ca9be109f1fa2f6b500496bcced3.jpgIMG_20190816_155059.thumb.jpg.f5f7c074a040a2113f5a99a609863d6d.jpg

I don't think I'll ever understand why every racing game I play seems to default to such massive controller deadzones. DR2.0 defaults to 20! Why? You've robbed so much accuracy from the controls, for what reason? To account for people with absolutely knackered controllers? My pad is no spring chicken and doesn't see any drift input on about 4 clicks. If your controller is seeing drift up around the 15-20 mark, then it's fit for the bin! Maybe prompt players to perform some kind of calibration on start up?

The advanced settings need descriptions too. It's almost impossible to tweak these without knowing *exactly* what they're doing to the mapping between input and in-game steering. It would be useful to move the input display sliders to this page also so you can see them in real time.

• Agree 1

On 7/25/2019 at 9:20 PM, Flens07 said:

Where did we discuss the ffb-thing?? It is not very well structured....

He is where PJ is monitoring and passing on info to the developers

Posted (edited)

Hi. I spent my day for epic try to create manual shifter for right thumbstick on ds4/sc. 

As result i have:

H-shifter in dirt-series games work only in "hold to gear" mode.

Therefore we no have neutral gear as bind.

Knowing amount of people, who for some reasons no have steering wheel with shifter, but want use manual gearbox i suggest option to "stick" gears and possibility bind neutral gear as separate key.

And sorry for my clumsy english :)

//upd: i wanna cry when see something like this

Edited by EzRoller

Hi 

t300/racing rig  ps4 /ps4pro

sometimes iracing on PC,

as a league owner of other racing sims I am enjoying dirt rally 2.0 ,

only stages I hate is Argentina as it doesn't work with ffb,

Rally X is excellent and 5 stars , I still wish we had pikes peak and Norway with the huge jumps but all in all I am pleased with dirt rally 2.0 ,

and I drive with all the assists off which is hard work rewarding fun,

5 stars for dirt rally but now I've said that please please don't spoil it with bug infested updates like f12019.

dirt rally 2.0 is definitely worth buying.

• Agree 1

Xbox with G920 here, and absolutely loving this game.

I really hope you bring these options to console, it's slightly painful to know what we're missing out on (UDP, FOV, limited seat adjustment especially). FFB and other input quirks barely register on my radar by comparison, the quality gameplay outshines them.

Next generation Xbox is due within a year or so, and there is a big emphasis on backwards compatibility which is encouraging. It brings things more into line with the PC development, and away from the 'end of lifecycle' trash treatment console games have historically received.

• Agree 1

On 6/17/2019 at 12:57 PM, caerphoto said:

You don't have to hit Enter. You can press button 1 on your wheel/pad (X if PS4-style controls, A if using XBox style), or click the left mouse button too.

Doesn't wotk with G27! None of its buttons
Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 does

ecqQgQv.jpg

Also íDirt 4 was able to spin the car in car park with D-pad of the G27's shifter - now only WASD-QE are working in Dirt Rally 2.0

TL;DR - I suspect Logitech borked up G920's in a recent (July?) patch, related to the device ID/name. (based on google results from PC users, I think Xbox has same issues. Wonky menu lock, soft lock, 'steering device changed' message every time you start a game, etc.)

So after 3 weeks of wrapping cars around trees and considering getting tested for Parkinsons disease, I finally disabled soft-lock and set steering saturation to 60..

Turns out I can drive afterall 😕

Is G920 calibration and/or soft-lock f'd on Xbox? Or have I fallen victim to a lack of tooltips..?

(Worst thing is I made this discovery after a bottle of wine. +100 Drunk driving XP)

Edited by SquirrelEsquire
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, RallyLover19 said:

Doesn't wotk with G27! None of its buttons
Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 does

ecqQgQv.jpg

Also íDirt 4 was able to spin the car in car park with D-pad of the G27's shifter - now only WASD-QE are working in Dirt Rally 2.0

Controls remain the same from DR and D4 with the exception of the view in the service area that you correctly found to be wasd-qe.

So with that in mind, button 17 is the equivalent of enter or mouse 1 - 15 is back - 16 is i think F1 and 18 is F2.  D-Pad navigates.

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX