DiRT Rally 2.0: Input on Inputs!

DiRT_Rally_2_OPM_Fiesta_RX_Corner_1.jpg

Hello everyone 🙂 

Back in May the DiRT team put together an Input settings guide for DiRT Rally 2.0.

If you haven't seen it yet you can download the PDF here.

Now that you've all had some time to get your wheels and devices set up the team would like some input on the input 😉 

Feel free to leave your thoughts in this thread, and here's a few things to get you started:

• How are you getting on with the input configuration options in-game? 
  • Are they easy to find, easy to understand?
  • Is it easy to understand in-game what each of the settings mean and do?
  • Is there anything in this regard you think the team could do better in the future?
  • How are you finding the in-game tools and configuration options?
  • How do you feel about how the game handles external configuration files?
  • What are your thoughts on how the game handles multiple input devices, and switching between them?

Please note that for this particular thread the team is looking for feedback on input settings/experiences only, and not force-feedback.

If you're on console please state that too as it may be handy for the team as well.

Your feedback is always valued and in this particular scenario it will help the team not only with the future of DiRT Rally 2.0 but also in the development and implementation of other titles that are being planned for the future, like GRID. 👍

• Like 3

I'll start with the obvious one: we really need the 'Sequential or H-pattern' and 'Sequential or H-pattern + clutch' options from DR1.

Beyond that, I definitely like the way multiple input devices are handled, it's a big improvement over DR1 and makes it much easier to configure my wheel, pedals, gamepad and separate shifter independently. And massive props for the PDF document, it's amazing and super useful/interesting.

Another thing we were discussing on Discord recently is the Clutch Override assist. Why is this considered an Assist? The R5 cars, for example, have actual clutch pedals, and yet when the game is set to Sequential shifting, my clutch pedal doesn't do anything with the assist set to Off. Maybe we need a Sequential + Clutch option?

edit: another thing I thought of is that it would be good to include high-end wheels in the config by default, in particular the various direct drive wheels. I've seen a couple of times now for example Jimmy Broadbent streaming DR2 after a patch and having to edit the input XML file each time, to much frustration. It's a fairly minor thing but it'd go a long way to creating positive impressions.

Edited by caerphoto
  • Agree 6

Adding UI text to each of the settings, with a brief explanation of what they do (like in D4 and DR1), would do wonders and I'm sure it would help a lot of people. There's some people complaining about that lack of guiding text in steam reviews.

Just take what's in the PDF, shorten it as necessary and paste it in the game for each setting accordingly.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 10

40 minutes ago, caerphoto said:

I'll start with the obvious one: we really need the 'Sequential or H-pattern' and 'Sequential or H-pattern + clutch' options from DR1.

This!!!!! Please, Please, Please, Please, Please... pretty please!!! 😞 

• Agree 1

1. "Sequential or H-Pattern +/- Clutch" option is a priority.

2. "Assists" - Have an option to select "Authentic" assists that correspond to the real-world counterpart.

3. Make analog handbrakes available under "input reporting" and give us deadzone, saturation, etc adjustments just like pedals.

4. Brief descriptions of options from within the GUI.

5. Let us choose not only a default steering device, but also a default menu navigation device, so that keyboard keys can show up instead of buttons.

Edited by bobradar
clarification
  • Agree 4

All of the above!

I also second the option to have keyboard shortcuts show in the menu with a wheel connected, I have no idea what button 9 million is on my wheel! 😞

Input setup/mapping is certainly improved over the original DiRT Rally. It's the first CM game in recent memory I haven't needed to manually edit XML files and/or use 3rd party input mapping tools.

One thing off the top of my head, it's good we can now map an action to multiple inputs & across multiple devices... eg. this allows shift up/down to be assigned both to shifter paddles on a wheel AND to a sequential shifter, so players can chop & change depending on their preference/the car being driven/whatever, without having to pause & dig into the menus, or without using external controller-to-keyboard mapping utilities such as JoyToKey (which I had to do with the original Dirt Rally).

Also, it's easier to get the game to cope with "unsupported" controllers, or controllers that don't have default mappings. And it doesn't nag every launch (as some previous CM games have) about controllers not having correct mappings for all the main inputs.

As for possible improvements...

bobradar already provided almost word-for-word the same things I was going to type here, so I'll quote the same list to show my support for those requests...

22 hours ago, bobradar said:

1. "Sequential or H-Pattern +/- Clutch" option is a priority.

2. "Assists" - Have an option to select "Authentic" assists that correspond to the real-world counterpart.

3. Make analog handbrakes available under "input reporting" and give us deadzone, saturation, etc adjustments just like pedals.

4. Brief descriptions of options from within the GUI.

5. Let us choose not only a default steering device, but also a default menu navigation device, so that keyboard keys can show up instead of buttons.

And I'll just expand a little on a couple of those points...

• Changing default menu/navigation controls in-game without having to dig around in the XML files (although the recently provided PDF was great for more detail on what's possible). This will be handy for VR users in future, or anyone with lots of controllers... even just to map "Pause" & menu navigation to something more static & easier to reach (a button box, or spare controller) rather than forcibly bound to specific buttons that may eg. be positioned somewhere unpredictable, because it's on a spinning wheel (especially when essentially blindfolded in VR). Understandably there's a risk of people messing up & getting stuck without a way to control the menus & edit controls... perhaps don't allow the primary keyboard controls to be edited in-game if needed, so there's always an escape route!
  • Tooltips / More detailed explanations of the various options are always welcome (not sure if more tooltips have been added since launch, but these seemed to be severely lacking in DR2.0 in general, eg. for car setup options, FFB options, etc. were much better covered in Dirt Rally... ok for players coming from that game, we may get the gist, but newcomers to DR2.0 will be doing a lot of searching/reading to work out what the options do... anyway, stopping before going further off-topic!)
  • Agree 1

There was a topic I made a while ago about a strange problem with multiple inputs on PS4, I'll put a link to it here:

• Agree 1

Not sure if this has a place in here, but I’ll voice it anyway.

Please can you add support for the PlayStation buttons in the UI when using a T300RS with the stock rim?

When my wheel has buttons like X and O, it’s reallt frustrating that the game shows them as “Button 8” etc.

Pretty sure DualShock 4 controllers show the correct symbols so why not PlayStation wheels?

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, CarBoyCam said:

Not sure if this has a place in here, but I’ll voice it anyway.

Please can you add support for the PlayStation buttons in the UI when using a T300RS with the stock rim?

When my wheel has buttons like X and O, it’s reallt frustrating that the game shows them as “Button 8” etc.

Pretty sure DualShock 4 controllers show the correct symbols so why not PlayStation wheels?

Subscribing this for the T500RS as well. PC Steam.

Edited by Riggs

There been lots of input since game released and I think many are tired to monologue.
You could look also to suggest box and give some comments from devs are those possible to make true or not.

Personally I would like most .pdf file for car setups because not so many here are car mechanics and know what each setup means.
At old times you got also printed manual for game.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, SimFunny said:

There been lots of input since game released and I think many are tired to monologue.
You could look also to suggest box and give some comments from devs are those possible to make true or not.

Personally I would like most .pdf file for car setups because not so many here are car mechanics and know what each setup means.
At old times you got also printed manual for game.

This thread is for feedback on the input methods, nothing else.

11 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

This thread is for feedback on the input methods, nothing else.

Understood that, but talked about that now they asking input after months of input what many gave for them here...and most of without any kind of reaction from game makers. 
Maby someone is tired to give input, no matter is it for inputs itself or maby some other.

Edited by SimFunny

Well, apparently you don't understand that.

This is literally a thread to give feedback on input devices\methods.

There are plenty of other threads on various topics for feedback, you appear to be misunderstanding the term input has two meanings and being played on for this topic title.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Well, apparently you don't understand that.

This is literally a thread to give feedback on input devices\methods.

There are plenty of other threads on various topics for feedback, you appear to be misunderstanding the term input has two meanings and being played on for this topic title.

After they replied for each other input what gamers gave for them in these months (gave because it´s not just moaning but way to make product better with greater sales, this and future ones) and I give input about inputs :classic_smile:

btw, gave also input about input (shifter and gearbox related one) but there´s not any comment from devs is it going to happen or not:

gearbox related.jpg

Edited by SimFunny

more force feedback options for individual effects.

the ability to change transmission type in service area rather than going into sub menus.

transmission detail of current car in service area.

visual DOR with actual angles eg: 540 degrees on a slider in the wheel menu.

Data out for console users so i can use my phone as a dash.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, watzcoc said:

transmission detail of current car in service area.

visual DOR with actual angles eg: 540 degrees on a slider in the wheel menu.

These two would be really nice to have, I agree 👍

Hello,

First off, my setup info... SimuCube (OSW "Small Mige"), Bodnar SLI-Pro (display and controls my wheel's button input), ProtoSimTech PT2 Pedals (Bodnar BU0836-LC based pedals) and TH8A Shifter (always in Analog Handbrake mode with Rally games).

How are you getting on with the input configuration options in-game? Are they easy to find, easy to understand?

I had to find someones youtube video before I found out where you hid the wheel rotation calibration option.  I personally like using soft lock, so this setting was very important for me.  Once I got that calibrated right, it made a big difference.  Otherwise mapping inputs (axis, buttons, etc) was fairly straight forward.

Is it easy to understand in-game what each of the settings mean and do? Is there anything in this regard you think the team could do better in the future?

For the FFB settings, little more detail about what each setting is would be good. Wasn't there more detail provided in Dirt Rally 1.0? It seems that it's gone a step behind. But since the recent FFB patch, the game is feeling 100% better.

How are you finding the in-game tools and configuration options?

Does the job I guess. See comments above regarding descriptions and how I found it a bit tricky to find the wheel rotation calibration option.

How do you feel about how the game handles external configuration files?

Honest answer... ********.  While It's good that my SimuCube wheel is able to be added manually... but I didn't have to do this file edit in Dirt Rally 1.0, and most other games will detect it automatically.  I have no issues with manually binding/calibrating in game... but I shouldn't need to edit an external file to get full detection and FFB working (telemetry is another thing, and I'll leave that alone as being fine in a the xml files).  Thankfully the game is popular enough and there were many threads about how to get SimuCube (and other OSW) wheels working early after release, or it would had been a quick request for a refund.

What are your thoughts on how the game handles multiple input devices, and switching between them?

Beyond my comment about the external files being required for calibration of my OSW... I'm just happy that there's zero issue with calibrating my setup, including custom mapping to get 99% of the in-game menus working without needing to reach for my keyboard/mouse.

Only other feedback I'd love to provide... can you please add proper triple screen support (separate render, angle of side monitors, in-game bezel correction, etc)? That'd be nice. Real field of view "in degrees" would be good too (but hey, at least FOV options are no longer hidden in XML files).

EDIT: Forgot one other big item... while my TH8A is detected as analog handbrake... why does the game use it as a digital on/off switch?  1% input = 100% input... why?  Please support full analog handbrakes in future update/fixes.  Please keep pushing forward with DR2.0... I'd be more then happy to buy a Season 3, 4 and beyond of DLC if you keep pushing forward with the updates/fixes.

Edited by DjFIL
  • Like 1

Needed:

• Analog Handbrake
  • Shortcut keys assignable to all the replay actions - including specific hotkeys for specific views
  • All commands to be able to be assigned both joystick and keyboard inputs
  • Ability click on the replay timeline

I’ve pointed this out numerous times yet never had a response but some cars seem to have the wrong soft lock not sure if it’s the right thread for this but I suppose it’s to do with inputs, I’d also like to see proper analog handbrake support with a slider in the input reportings I play on Xbox with a thrustmaster tx, Th8a and tss