Thrustmaster Open Wheel

Just got the TM Open Wheel.... A little pricey in fairness. That said it's really nice... Buttons and paddles are solid, it's light and about just the right size.. if you have the F1 I would not bother with it but for everyone else it's a massive upgrade... 

In short it's a great wheel....

2 hours ago, Realybadpiggy said:

Just got the TM Open Wheel.... A little pricey in fairness. That said it's really nice... Buttons and paddles are solid, it's light and about just the right size.. if you have the F1 I would not bother with it but for everyone else it's a massive upgrade... 

In short it's a great wheel....

Yeah, i was thinking about adding the open wheel addon to my collection as i now use the f1 ferrari addon for 2 years to be exacted, it showing some wear and is getting a bit rough, steering and button wise, so iam really considering getting the open wheel one, as i have heard good story’s about it.

I agree. I was using Ferrari F1 wheel and Open Wheel Add-on is definitely an upgrade IMO. It's light and feels smoother. The only downside is the need to wear gloves.

Next step is Fanatec CSL F1 but for now I'll keep going with this one. 

I really liked the feel of the Thrustmaster Open rim when I tried it out a few years ago (when it was still exclusive to the TS-PC). The big grips are particularly nice. I feel like it's only a minor upgrade over the Ferrari F1, though. It really should have a few more buttons which is my main issue with it.

Having said that, I upgraded to a CSL Elite recently and I'm actually quite shocked how much of an upgrade the entire package is. I thought it'd be only minor but it's considerably better in every way compared to my old Thrustmaster T300.

2 hours ago, Andrew210227 said:

I really liked the feel of the Thrustmaster Open rim when I tried it out a few years ago (when it was still exclusive to the TS-PC). The big grips are particularly nice. I feel like it's only a minor upgrade over the Ferrari F1, though. It really should have a few more buttons which is my main issue with it.

Having said that, I upgraded to a CSL Elite recently and I'm actually quite shocked how much of an upgrade the entire package is. I thought it'd be only minor but it's considerably better in every way compared to my old Thrustmaster T300.

Good to hear. I also have T3PA pedals with brake mod which is good. How is CSL brake pedal? Good?

Cheers

16 minutes ago, joserdcosta said:

Good to hear. I also have T3PA pedals with brake mod which is good. How is CSL brake pedal? Good?

Cheers

The pedals are by far the biggest difference of the CSL package. CSL pedals are completely aluminium, and you feel that stifness right away. I'd say the standard brake on the CSL is better than the T3PA conical brake mod (which I had originally as well). But the CSL loadcell brake is in a different league from the standard brake pedals.

I really enjoyed the Thrustmaster, used it for about 3 years, but haven't regretted getting the CSL for a second.

30 minutes ago, Andrew210227 said:

The pedals are by far the biggest difference of the CSL package. CSL pedals are completely aluminium, and you feel that stifness right away. I'd say the standard brake on the CSL is better than the T3PA conical brake mod (which I had originally as well). But the CSL loadcell brake is in a different league from the standard brake pedals.

I really enjoyed the Thrustmaster, used it for about 3 years, but haven't regretted getting the CSL for a second.

Good to hear :) I'm using Thrustmaster since F1 2015 because G27 doesn't work with PS4 (but worked on PS3). 

I'm also for CSL loadcell :)

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Playseat Challenge and installed the load cell mod for T3PA a while ago, but the amount of weight you have to put in there is insane and it was breaking my back. How's that for the CSL Elite pedals?

1 minute ago, Koekenbakker28 said:

I have a Playseat Challenge and installed the load cell mod for T3PA a while ago, but the amount of weight you have to put in there is insane and it was breaking my back. How's that for the CSL Elite pedals?

You can find de sweet spot if you adjust it. I can send you a photo when I get home, but it's possible to physically adjust it.

I only apply some "considerable weight" to get more than 70% of brake pressure, but this is down to my personal preference. You can check the percentage in Controls Calibration menus (F1 2018). 

Yea am using the Playseat Challenge and like it but found the wheel setup akward so now using the wheel stand pro for the wheel and peddles + playset ..open wheel and t3pa pro... 

2 hours ago, joserdcosta said:

You can find de sweet spot if you adjust it. I can send you a photo when I get home, but it's possible to physically adjust it.

I only apply some "considerable weight" to get more than 70% of brake pressure, but this is down to my personal preference. You can check the percentage in Controls Calibration menus (F1 2018). 

That’s nice. I might consider a better set when PS5 comes out and they’ll show us what is supported and what not. Would be a bummer to spend 400 euros on a set that I can’t use anymore in about 1,5 years.

21 minutes ago, Realybadpiggy said:

Yea am using the Playseat Challenge and like it but found the wheel setup akward so now using the wheel stand pro for the wheel and peddles + playset ..open wheel and t3pa pro... 

2 hours ago, Koekenbakker28 said:

Here are the adjustments I've made to my setup. In terms of sheet I have it pushed to the front to give me more space. For the pedals I adjusted in a way that I don't have to put too much pressure to reach 100%.

I hope it helps

IMG_20190614_175444__01.jpg

IMG_20190614_175645__01.jpg

IMG_20190614_175701__01.jpg

IMG_20190614_175933__01.jpg

IMG_20190614_175615.jpg

IMG_20190614_175605.jpg

8 minutes ago, joserdcosta said:

Here are the adjustments I've made to my setup. In terms of sheet I have it pushed to the front to give me more space. For the pedals I adjusted in a way that I don't have to put too much pressure to reach 100%.

I hope it helps

IMG_20190614_175444__01.jpg

IMG_20190614_175645__01.jpg

IMG_20190614_175701__01.jpg

IMG_20190614_175933__01.jpg

IMG_20190614_175615.jpg

IMG_20190614_175605.jpg

I almost have it identical and also have the conical mod for the T3pa (in the exact same position!). But a load cell requires much more force to press it and the back of the challenge seat just doesn’t give me enough support which means my back starts to hurt. 

Thanks for sharing though!

Great topic guys. I really love my F1 add on on my T300 (see picture). I game only on Ps4 and I would think my next upgrade could be the Fanatec CSL elite. But due to space, I can ONLY have a wheel that I can use on my Playseat Challenge. Is that possible with the Fanatec CSL Elite and CSL pedals?

IMG-20190317-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.06680b7fd4f8059890e6a2169da2d942.jpeg

20 hours ago, joserdcosta said:

@GioProductions yes it's possible indeed. You'll need zip ties for the pedals.

Btw, nice setup though.

Cheers

Thanks. For my first wheel, i am really happy with it 🙂

Great to see all the adjust you did with the Playseat Challenge! 

• Agree 1

On 6/14/2019 at 4:33 PM, Koekenbakker28 said:

You can adjust the saturation and sensistivity of the loadcell in the options menu so that you don't have to push that hard. How heavy is the load cell? I have a 20kg version, but I am on a Playseat F1 so that's different in that perspective. I also fixed the pedal plate so it doesn't flex.

never want to go back from loadcell to standard haha

• Agree 1

On 6/16/2019 at 1:26 PM, AlexTT said:

You can adjust the saturation and sensistivity of the loadcell in the options menu so that you don't have to push that hard. How heavy is the load cell? I have a 20kg version, but I am on a Playseat F1 so that's different in that perspective. I also fixed the pedal plate so it doesn't flex.

never want to go back from loadcell to standard haha

Hi AlexTT,

Could you explain how you fixed the pedal plate? The plate on my Playseat F1 which has the T3PA-PRO pedals mounted now flexes quite a bit, since I installed a load cell mod.

I also find the extra force applied is pushing the whole plate/stem unit backwards as the lever on the Playseat isn't strong enough to hold it. Wondered if you'd encountered anything similar with your setup?

Thanks.

I have a Playseat Challenge with a loadcell.

it is only 10KG because you Can’t hardmount the pedals.

works perfect 20kg is to much for a Playseat challenge

145760FD-72B5-440E-9195-BAD3F3BA83CC.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jarno1991 said:

I have a Playseat Challenge with a loadcell.

it is only 10KG because you Can’t hardmount the pedals.

works perfect 20kg is to much for a Playseat challenge

145760FD-72B5-440E-9195-BAD3F3BA83CC.jpeg

Nice setup. Almost the same as what i have (T-GT en F1 add on rim).

Did you see the new loadcell pedals from Thrustmaster?

http://mobile.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/press/thrustmaster-t-lcm-pedals-brand-s-most-highly-anticipated-pedal-set