Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 7/5/2019 at 1:47 AM, PJTierney said:

I think we're going round in circles now, so let's drop this topic.

I'm well aware that many people want to know our VR plans (it's one of the most common things people ask us about at the moment), and when I can say something to you all, I will.

Until then, you'll have to wait 🛌🏻

The real issues stems from a lack of overall VR strategy by CMs in the first place. In my opinion, (FWIW), the early planning for Dirt Rally 2.0 should have had included VR as part of the launch requirements from day 1. It's not like the overwhelming love of Dirt Rally 1.0's VR wasn't known, nor should anyone have not predicted the reasonable expectation from fans that VR would be part of Dirt Rally 2.0.

From the outside, it looks like VR was only given the green light at the 11th hour - right before the release window - because the bad press from NOT announcing VR support was starting to impact pre-orders and formed a meta on the internet of "No VR No Buy". The subsequent vagueness in the 5 months since that announcement would support that assumption.

While VR owners form a very small part of the overall customer base, they also tend to be the more hard core sim racers, usually passionate about VR sim racing and quite vocal in advocating the advantages of racing in VR. You'll also notice that a lot of the YouTube sim racing personalities use VR regularly - so for a racing game developer/publisher to not have a pro-active VR strategy seems baffling to me.

I hope that the work being done to get VR into Dirt Rally 2.0 is a basis for CM VR going forward, but the checkered history since DR 1 gives me pause for concern.

On an unrelated note, the good news about AI adjustment in patch 1.6 is very welcomed. I might finally fire this game up again after a month off!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JesseDeya

You are correct. CM said that VR wasn't going to be in the base game. Only if there was a large demand for it, would they look into it. The costs to develop it compared to the financial return is still risky and not doesn't ensure a profit. They did find a way to implement the Oculus VR product and they will release it in the near future. 

We just have to wait and see if other VR products will be implemented as well. Only time will tell.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the history, I bought the deluxe edition based on that promise - I just don't understand why they haven't made this more of a priority to date.

Sure, VR ownership numbers are still low, but they aren't completely insignificant. On Steam alone there are estimates of about 700,000 to 800,000 headsets connected monthly. The Steam sales figures I've seen for Dirt Rally 2.0 are less than 200,000 (Dirt Rally 1.0 was closer to 2 million!) - so I would think that VR is relatively important untapped market! Given how well VR works for racing games it seems like a no brainer to me.

On console, Sony claim to have >4.2 million VR headsets sold, and we already know PSVR will work with the Playstation 5, so it's not going anywhere.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope VR at least breaks even.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

I just don't understand why they haven't made this more of a priority to date.

 

11 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

Sure, VR ownership numbers are still low

That is the reason.

 

11 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

I would think that VR is relatively important untapped market! Given how well VR works for racing games it seems like a no brainer to me.

 

And we all agree with you, there are plenty of forum members who don't own VR that want it in the game and Codies have said they are looking into it. Mission accomplished.

 

11 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

On console, Sony claim to have >4.2 million VR headsets sold, and we already know PSVR will work with the Playstation 5, so it's not going anywhere.

Like you said, Steam has less than a quarter of headsets, yet Codies have said they working on an Occulus version. If you can convince the other 4.2 million PSVR owners to tell Sony that you want VR for DR 2.0 I'm pretty sure you'd get it.

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CCR CABADAJ said:

Hi PJ,

wiil there be Season 3 or even more Season 4?

There's information that leads to think yes there will. Several DLC slots have been opened in Steam.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PJTierney

Please let modders make liveries for DiRT Rally 2.0 DLC cars. It would be a real pleasure to have some nice liveries for this beauty, but all DLC cars has been encrypted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 8:26 PM, JesseDeya said:

The subsequent vagueness in the 5 months since that announcement would support that assumption.

the subsequent vagueness is because Oculus (or whoever) is developing the VR for DR2.0, so it's out of CM's hands. it'll be ready when it's ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 11:43 AM, PJTierney said:

So it seems that a few bug fixes are on the way but unfortunately nothing about the stuttering based on HID reading aka USB devices (where the work a round is to unplug a USB device while the game is running or delete HID devices in device manager).

This is a problem which most people with better gear (Wheelbase and Pedals or Handbrake) have. In the sim racing forum nobody plays DR anymore because of this really basic problem. Who want to race where the game has a rhythmic stutter?

I would really like if CM would solve their input reading problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Peter Mathen said:

So it seems that a few bug fixes are on the way but unfortunately nothing about the stuttering based on HID reading aka USB devices (where the work a round is to unplug a USB device while the game is running or delete HID devices in device manager).

This is a problem which most people with better gear (Wheelbase and Pedals or Handbrake) have. In the sim racing forum nobody plays DR anymore because of this really basic problem. Who want to race where the game has a rhythmic stutter?

I would really like if CM would solve their input reading problem.

Post about it in the bug reporting thread, and include all the necessary details for reproducing it. Make it a visible problem (while still being respectful) and it's more likely to get fixed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 2:12 AM, SkiddyMcCrash said:

That is the reason.

Reductionist argument my dear Skidmore. As I pointed out, the active VR ownership numbers on PC alone far exceed the estimated sales numbers of Dirt Rally 2.0.

If Dirt Rally 2.0 was doing Fortnight numbers, sure, the relatively niche VR user base (compared to 250 million Fortnite players) might not seem worth pursuing. Dirt Rally 2.0 on the other hand is NOT doing Fortnite numbers.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:12 AM, SkiddyMcCrash said:

And we all agree with you, there are plenty of forum members who don't own VR that want it in the game and Codies have said they are looking into it. Mission accomplished.

Thanks George W, but that's not the mission, nor is it accomplished. VR isn't delivered in DR2.0 yet, and it's not even on the acknowledged radar for other CM racing games. Again, baffling. Also, your comment above is completely juxtaposed with your first: How can the VR user base be - on the one hand - too low to care about, yet enough significant enough in the forums here to make Codemasters stand up and listen.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:12 AM, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Like you said, Steam has less than a quarter of headsets, yet Codies have said they working on an Occulus version.

No, I said Steam has 700k-800k (extrapolated) active (ie: connected) headsets in monthly Steam hardware polls. That clearly doesn't account for Oculus headsets that might not be connected or configured in Steam. I also said Dirt Rally 2.0 has sold < 200k units on PC so they should probably pay more attention to VR. Codemasters effectively said (in their tweet) that they inked a last minute deal with Oculus to bring VR to DR2... then they went silent for 5 months. Not sure that is the comms strategy I would chose.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:12 AM, SkiddyMcCrash said:

If you can convince the other 4.2 million PSVR owners to tell Sony that you want VR for DR 2.0 I'm pretty sure you'd get it.

Except that's not how business development works, and you don't speak for Codemasters so I'm not even sure why you made that comment. Sony has nothing to do with the decision here (and I suspect you know that). Codemasters brought VR to PS4 DR1 with far less headsets on the market and received critical success. I've no idea if it was genuinely profitable, but given it was sold as bespoke DLC I can't see how it wouldn't have been. 

7 hours ago, ianism said:

the subsequent vagueness is because Oculus (or whoever) is developing the VR for DR2.0, so it's out of CM's hands. it'll be ready when it's ready.

As far as I can tell, Codemasters subcontracted another developer to work on the VR aspect of DR 2.0. That does NOT mean it's out of their hands, quite the opposite, they literally hold the reigns, they determine delivery timelines and they hold milestone payment authority... unless they can't write contracts properly... which is actually quite possible.

None of this takes away from my excitement for VR in DR2.0, but I'm just staggered at the continued own goals CM seem to want to score.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@PJTiernethe tunning set ups are from  2tecnical are set by default ,or we have to choose them somehow ?

Edited by nasoduko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, nasoduko said:

@PJTiernethe tunning set ups are from  2tecnical are set by default ,or we have to choose them somehow ?

You should save any setups you make.

Setups are exclusive to each car and limited by surface type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It´s great that at least one guy offering setups which are pretty hard to master for most of us I think.
If there would be anykind of manual for Dirt Rally 2.0 car setups it could motivate to make also own setups rather than through the hard way, just trying what each setups affect. 
With some cars using proper setups you can get big advance at races.
Big thanks to GTR Technical

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nasoduko said:

PJTiernebut the ones that are on some cars inside as default, are from  GTR Technical ? 

and if yes which cars ?

Just watch those GTR Technical´s videos and copy setups to your cars, save them.
No, those are not by default in game.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MJV1973 said:

It´s great that at least one guy offering setups which are pretty hard to master for most of us I think.
If there would be anykind of manual for Dirt Rally 2.0 car setups it could motivate to make also own setups rather than through the hard way, just trying what each setups affect. 
With some cars using proper setups you can get big advance at races.
Big thanks to GTR Technical

The thing with just offering a done setup is, that everyone drives a little different and a setup that is fast for one might be slow for another. As General guides to make ur own Setups I might have some Videos on my channel that u could find helpful.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, all info about making proper setups is welcome :classic_smile:
Seems you have pretty different setup than GTR Technical, same car same rally.
Is that just because of driving style?
 

A group Mitsubishi Australia.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MJV1973 said:

Thanks, all info about making proper setups is welcome :classic_smile:
Seems you have pretty different setup than GTR Technical, same car same rally.
Is that just because of driving style?
 

A group Mitsubishi Australia.jpg

Looks like his is tailored more towards bump absorption.
Mine is more focused on the smooth bits and landing jumps without damage.

In location-speak, his looks going more towards an Argentina and mine more towards a Poland.
Since Australia has challenges of both kinds, both can be valid ways of being fast.
Maybe try them both and see with which you have overall more control of the car.
More control means being more predictable and that will lead to better times with practise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since they didnt take his setups and imported them,why they mention him,if codemasters is starting to advertise,i would like to do the same thing for my team to the next update hahaha...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nasoduko said:

since they didnt take his setups and imported them,why they mention him,if codemasters is starting to advertise,i would like to do the same thing for my team to the next update hahaha...

Sometimes I find cool stuff the community makes and share it, like all those screenshots 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nasoduko said:

since they didnt take his setups and imported them,why they mention him,if codemasters is starting to advertise,i would like to do the same thing for my team to the next update hahaha...

Maby because he is the only guy who offers these setups?!
If you have same kind of guide, please give a link.

But just by copying setups don´t give me picture what each setup really do and how it affect with different conditions.
Those short descriptions are better than nothing but I´d like to learn more.
Try and error, that´s how you can do those by your own if have no idea how setups works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJV1973 said:

Maby because he is the only guy who offers these setups?!
If you have same kind of guide, please give a link.

But just by copying setups don´t give me picture what each setup really do and how it affect with different conditions.
Those short descriptions are better than nothing but I´d like to learn more.
Try and error, that´s how you can do those by your own if have no idea how setups works.

i use his set ups from a long time ago ,but i thought since they mention on update  that they were included to game game by default!!

since they are not ,im asking why they were included to the roadbook ,thats all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×