Speaking of our more recent titles, there are big discounts on games and DLC too this weekend, check out the store pages tomorrow for details.

this was in yesterday's roadbook, followed by links to the steam pages of DR, D4 and DR2.0. any news on this? it's the weekend now, and I'd like to buy S3/4 stuff.

I'm also thinking of getting the super deluxe edition/year pass (year pass is if I find a disc copy of the game) for PS4 now that I have one.

• Agree 1

Steam store typically updates at 18.00 BST so it looks like things are live now.

• Like 1

So CM finally got it, mostly negative reviews.

Instead of ironing out the bugs, CM brought us the old stages of Dirt Rally 1 and the price tag is on the expensive side (even if some people justify the prices). If you look at the bug reports, the community made lists (remember the list of Riggs?) and now the game, month after the release in v1.8.1, has bugs from 1.0 not eliminated.

image.png.1459e08e59ab2f33ea998dd92a9522a5.png

Edited by Peter Mathen
  • Agree 2

Price could be the main reason. I think the price is completely fine because the game is not for casual players. You can't sell much so you need to up the price. If anybody has a problem with the price he can buy the competition... oh, what competition? 😄

For instance, on Xbox, only one friend has DR 2. It's strange.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

@PJTierney

Can you just confirm that oculus users won't get the dlc and put us out of our misery please? 

We're still discussing it but I've got nothing to report right now, might be a while before you hear anything.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

We're still discussing it but I've got nothing to report right now, might be a while before you hear anything.

Why? Whether it's commercially viable?

As I own both versions I know the updates are the same size, so the dlc is sitting there on my hard drive. I just want to be able to pay for and unlock it.

It's also unfair that as Oculus users we're missing out on the world series. 

53 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

@PJTierney

Can you just confirm that oculus users won't get the dlc and put us out of our misery please? 

Its hilarious if you think about it. We get bombarded by all the nice pictures on the DLC tracks. We (steam users) can buy it but barely drive it because of performance issues and you on oculus store cant drive them because you cant buy them. Its like a bad joke.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

It's also unfair that as Oculus users we're missing out on the world series. 

I mean it really isn't though. Use some deductive reasoning skills:

• DR2.0 was never initially planned with VR support
  • Because of this, the WC was designed around the planned support model of PS4/Xbox/Steam
  • Community outcry shifts priorities around and gets resources allocated for a new build to address VR
  • Occulus SDK and store support is added late into the dev cycle because of the late priority change
  • There is no reasonable way to retroactively refit a WC event planned year+ in advance to now include an extra platform - because all of this involves sign off from sponsors, vendors, and major platform entities.

The WC was pitched and sold on the concept of PS4/Xbox/Steam to all the important entities involved. That is what all the legal sign off was on, what the marketing teams were given approval for, what all of the contracts stipulate. Good luck trying to renegotiate all of those contracts last second before the event kicks off.

You may not like the results, but welcome to reality where business has hoops you have to jump through regardless of how we feel about it. This is how the world operates, get comfortable cuz it isn't changing any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

The world series is the least of the issues. I really just want the DLC.

Thanks for using your deductive reasoning skills though! 

12 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

There is no reasonable way to retroactively refit a WC event planned year+ in advance to now include an extra platform - because all of this involves sign off from sponsors, vendors, and major platform entities.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Oculus Store is not closed ecosystem. It's still a PC platform game. I cannot imagine such game being disallowed to connect any internet endpoint directly (ie RaceNet)

It seems to me like business decision.

It's like some game devs says they cannot do cross platform standings because of it's technically impossible (ie PC2) while other games have crossplatform results.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

6 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but Oculus Store is not closed ecosystem. It's still a PC platform game. I cannot imagine such game being disallowed to connect any internet endpoint directly (ie RaceNet)

It seems to me like business decision.

It's like some game devs says they cannot do cross platform standings because of it's technically impossible (ie PC2) while other games have crossplatform results.

It's possible, but the legal signoff and contracts are what prevent it.

To host an event like the WC you need months and months, if not years of contract lawyer work between companies involved and all of them have to agree on the event. The second you make any change, like trying to introduce Occulus platform you now need to go back and get every single person to resign the contracts and agreements. This isn't about whether it is feasible, it's about whether or not it is viable in the timeframe given. It wasn't. CodeMasters can say "yeah, we'd love to invlude Occulus users and technologically it isn't hard to include them" but that doesn't magically mean they can just allow Rift users into the WC.

The legal legwork behind making any changes to the WC are what kept Occulus users out of the event.

How do you know any of that? Unless you're somehow party to these discussions you're just stating your assumptions as facts. 

Edited by SharkyOB

5 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

How do you know any of that? Unless you're somehow party to these discussions you're just stating your assumptions as facts.

Yep, it is all 100% assumptions on my part - absolutely will not argue you on that.

But I make these assumptions as someone who works with multiple vendors in a software development capacity for a career. Jumping through hoops and getting sign offs is a pretty annoying and standard thing in any form of software dev. Now include the legal team because we are venturing into that territory? Yeah double the lead time for any kind of deal/partnership because they like to vet everything.

I also make these assumptions based on all of the other facts we are given from CM about how grueling all of their contract and sign off negotiations are known to be. They talk about it all of the time in their roadbooks, how half the reason they can't confirm certain things just yet is because they haven't gotten sign off from all of their partners. It is a very well known fact that in the racing industry there are a LOT of players who all want to have a say in whatever happens that involves their cars/licenses.

So yes, this is all speculation, but if you have any kind of knowledge about this stuff you will agree with most of my assumptions. This is pretty run of the mill for these things.

• Like 1

I never imagined that distribution platform could ever afford putting on such constraints. In my understanding  Steam and Oculus stores are just "stores". 

if it is true, why CM would bother with Oculus Store version? they making harm to own trademark this ways. Especially they have SteamVR platform working. providing Oculus Sdk support to Steam version seems better idea than publishing in Oculus Store game stripped out from major features.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

If it is true, why CM would bother with Oculus Store version?

Because Facebook and their Occulus team helped provide resources to build the VR version - it would be extremely surprising if they didn't include some stipulation that their store gets a build of DR2.0 as well (when it never would have been on their store otherwise). If you're going to give up your resources, you'd want to get something a little special for it right?

And you would honestly be surprised how many constraints are included with things - there is so much red tape across anything that happens it makes you want to just throw out all the licenses and forget about trying to use anything from real life. It's all just one giant headache that every single other person who isn't a dev wants full control over. Some just want an accurate representation of their product, others want to control every last detail down to the texture used on the headlight housing or the color of the stitching on the seats.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Because Facebook and their Occulus team helped provide resources to build the VR version - it would be extremely surprising if they didn't include some stipulation that their store gets a build of DR2.0 as well (when it never would have been on their store otherwise). If you're going to give up your resources, you'd want to get something a little special for it right?

At first I've seen no official information about who was involved in development. 

But importantly, do you think FB is interested in providing incomplete game while a competition offers full game in a whole glory? It causes damage to all parties, doesn't it? Or I'm obviously missing something.

17 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

But importantly, do you think FB is interested in providing incomplete game while a competition offers full game in a whole glory? It causes damage to all parties, doesn't it? Or I'm obviously missing something

Yes, because before this they weren't providing anything and making zero money from DR2.0. Now, even with the incompleteness and no DLC, look at how many sales they got from users. That is all revenue FB would have never gotten, and great marketing (Oculus SDK performs better than SteamVR) that they would have never received. They are the only other PC storefront to sell DR2.0 so it's one extra reason they can use to push Rift over other VR headsets. So FB already is "profiting" from this strategy.

There are tons of layers to all the strategy involved. You don't need to release a perfect product to get successful results.

This is the closest thing you'll find to any official statement saying FB helped with resources for VR, but reading that tweet it is obvious FB got involved in making the VR experience happen. They may not have directly developed it, but they were definitely involved in the development for the Rift.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

es, because before this they weren't providing anything and making zero money from DR2.0. Now, even with the incompleteness and no DLC, look at how many sales they got from users. That is all revenue FB would have never gotten, and great marketing (Oculus SDK performs better than SteamVR) that they would have never received. They are the only other PC storefront to sell DR2.0 so it's one extra reason they can use to push Rift over other VR headsets. So FB already is "profiting" from this strategy.

So the strategy is to earn money for any cost: to develop underperforming solution on competition platform, to develop limited version on own platform, therefore push customers to buy incomplete  package or buy the game twice.

I'm going to simplify things but if someone intentionally decided to make such mess just to earn a few bucks then it's cheating on customers. I don't care about FB image but I care about CM creditability, which is being impacted for sure. And of course I cannot agree with such practices  from a customer standpoint.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Like 1

Oculus users are hardly asking for the world here, just one version that is complete and works properly. Either allow the Steam version to run via Oculus or give us the DLC, FFS.

It's so frustrating to get fobbed off in the way we are. Apparently they've been discussing it for weeks now, not sure why these conversations are so complicated. 

Edited by SharkyOB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

DR2_Peugeot_306Maxi-(3).JPG

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt-rally-2-0/09/the-dirt-roadbook-september-20-2019/

• Neste World RX of Latvia Recap
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 World Series: Round 1 Continues
  • Peugeot 306 Maxi & Seat Ibiza Kit Car – Coming September 24
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 –  Coming to Xbox Game Pass on September 26

2082904640_Beztytuu.thumb.png.3bef8e54e0f0c0818980df96914d1d66.png

Latvia without capital letter? It is the name of the country.

Just noticed and asking.

1 hour ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

Just noticed and asking.

just a typo.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:47 PM, kombajnkoszoncy said:

2082904640_Beztytuu.thumb.png.3bef8e54e0f0c0818980df96914d1d66.png

Just noticed and asking.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:54 PM, ianism said:

just a typo.

Yup, little whoopsie there 🙂 

On 9/20/2019 at 4:44 PM, Mike Dee said:

It's possible, but the legal signoff and contracts are what prevent it.

To host an event like the WC you need months and months, if not years of contract lawyer work between companies involved and all of them have to agree on the event. The second you make any change, like trying to introduce Occulus platform you now need to go back and get every single person to resign the contracts and agreements. This isn't about whether it is feasible, it's about whether or not it is viable in the timeframe given. It wasn't. CodeMasters can say "yeah, we'd love to invlude Occulus users and technologically it isn't hard to include them" but that doesn't magically mean they can just allow Rift users into the WC.

The legal legwork behind making any changes to the WC are what kept Occulus users out of the event.

So you are saying it is all due to Facebook stupidity ? I dont believe it at all. Sorry. It would be an easy way out for Codemasters but they are the responsible for all this mess.

Edited by koog2003