On 9/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, SharkyOB said:

Oculus users are hardly asking for the world here, just one version that is complete and works properly. Either allow the Steam version to run via Oculus or give us the DLC, FFS.

It's so frustrating to get fobbed off in the way we are. Apparently they've been discussing it for weeks now, not sure why these conversations are so complicated. 

I am in the same boat. This is so dumb and frustrating. Why are we treated differently from anyone else ? Is it a god damn crime to own an Oculus Rift and having paid for the game like everybody else ? This is preposterous and unfair to say the least.

Edited by koog2003

Don't know you know, but a few years ago CM published DR1 for OR, ignoring whole SteamVR community. Thanx to ReVive DR1 was then available for Vive users too. Of course for a price of some performance hit (curious how big comparing to DR2 OR implementation via SteamVR).

Anyway I feel with you guys. What happened to DR2 and OR is unprecedented.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, koog2003 said:

So you are saying it is all due to Facebook stupidity ?

No, it is due to contract litigation stupidity. For everything involved with this event, every single team/brand/group/license holder had to sign off on the structure of the event. Every aspect was planned out and detailed well in advance - that is what every sponsor and person involved in the event signed off on approving. Once you change anything in that event, every single person needs to sign off again. That is time and resource intensive. If you are Microsoft or Sony, you can force people to just resign on the contracts without any big deal, but if you aren't good luck changing stuff. It's a headache and a ton of work - so trying to introduce an extra platform last second isn't something easy to pull of or as simple as "Codemasters allowing Oculus users in". If you have never worked with contracted vendors, this whole process might be hard to understand, but this is how business works - and not just video games.

11 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

No, it is due to contract litigation stupidity. For everything involved with this event, every single team/brand/group/license holder had to sign off on the structure of the event. Every aspect was planned out and detailed well in advance - that is what every sponsor and person involved in the event signed off on approving. Once you change anything in that event, every single person needs to sign off again. That is time and resource intensive. If you are Microsoft or Sony, you can force people to just resign on the contracts without any big deal, but if you aren't good luck changing stuff. It's a headache and a ton of work - so trying to introduce an extra platform last second isn't something easy to pull of or as simple as "Codemasters allowing Oculus users in". If you have never worked with contracted vendors, this whole process might be hard to understand, but this is how business works - and not just video games.

Little introduction first: I have an Oculus Rift. I dont own the Steam version. I just have the Oculus Home version of the game. 

I understand very well what you are saying and this is most likely the reason why Oculus SDK support is not yet added to the Steam version.

What I am focusing on now though is the incredible fact that there are Oculus Home users that managed to obtain/pay for the DLCs following a one time off ad that suddenly popped in game. This way (for 1.99$) they bought this mysterious "Game of the Year" edition add-on for Oculus which activates/unlocks the DLCs (which btw are already in the game folder but somehow inactive). 

PJ said they should not have been able to do such a thing because the DLCs on Oculus should come "at a later date", but they did manage.
I saw this bloody ad too once, I wanted to buy it but by mistake I pressed the wrong button on the steering wheel and skipped it 😞
There is no way to trigger this ad to pop up again and it never came back ....

Edited by koog2003
  • Agree 1

I can understand the delay of Oculus DLC to an extent.  If they are used in the community events it locks new buyers out unless they buy the DLC and there will be backlash on that too.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.  Those that do have the DLC from what I understand can only use it in freeplay and not in career or community so its of limited value.

Unfortunately the only way anyone has found out about any of this is to experience it.  I'd have liked to see a delay between the oculus and steam VR versions as it was well known that oculus had helped fund VR.  I was fully expecting the VR support to be Oculus exclusive and the fact it dropped on steam on the same day was a surprise to me.  That lead me to believe they must both be the same as it listed oculus support in Steam.  Silly assumption as it is Codemasters.

I know the guys responsible for the software just want everyone to love their game, and we do.  It really just seems there was a lack of fore-thought, or a willful withholding of information by the business boffins.  It feels more like the latter.

On another note, I do appreciate the work PJ is doing.  I know he'd love to just give everyone the news they want to hear but he can only pass on what's been confirmed and approved.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Since it looks like the Oculus DLC is a write off, if I buy the Steam version will my saves carry over (using the same Username/password)?

20 hours ago, DarrenBarrett said:

I can understand the delay of Oculus DLC to an extent.  If they are used in the community events it locks new buyers out unless they buy the DLC and there will be backlash on that too.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.  Those that do have the DLC from what I understand can only use it in freeplay and not in career or community so its of limited value.

Unfortunately the only way anyone has found out about any of this is to experience it.  I'd have liked to see a delay between the oculus and steam VR versions as it was well known that oculus had helped fund VR.  I was fully expecting the VR support to be Oculus exclusive and the fact it dropped on steam on the same day was a surprise to me.  That lead me to believe they must both be the same as it listed oculus support in Steam.  Silly assumption as it is Codemasters.

I know the guys responsible for the software just want everyone to love their game, and we do.  It really just seems there was a lack of fore-thought, or a willful withholding of information by the business boffins.  It feels more like the latter.

On another note, I do appreciate the work PJ is doing.  I know he'd love to just give everyone the news they want to hear but he can only pass on what's been confirmed and approved.

Why would you like so see another platform getting content later than another?

Edited by somethingthing
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, NateFink said:

Since it looks like the Oculus DLC is a write off, if I buy the Steam version will my saves carry over (using the same Username/password)?

No, I have both versions and the saves are completely separate.

• Sad 1

DR2_Dashcam_Compare_Peugeot.gif

DR2_Dashcam_Compare_SUBARU.gif

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/09/the-dirt-roadbook-september-27-2019/

• DiRT Rally 2.0 – Available Now on Xbox Game Pass, PC Version on Microsoft Store
  • Peugeot 306 Maxi & Seat Ibiza Kit Car – Available now in DiRT Rally 2.0
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 World Series – Round 1’s Final Week
  • Oculus SDK Support – Coming to Steam Next Week
  • “Dashcam” – Coming in Version 1.9 Next Week
  • Broadcast Mode (Beta) – Coming in Version 1.9 Next Week
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Agree 1

Impressive changes! thank you.

However... could you - CM guys - be fair and honest to say if FFB improvements are still being considered?
Avoiding the answer will be taken as desire to make us forget about this request. No.. we never forget.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Can't wait for my favourite cam! Thank you for listening Codies :classic_happy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any possibility on a rough order of magnitude on the Oculus DLCs?

Days, months, never?

Why would I like To have seen a delay on the OpenVR release?

So they could continue to develop and optimize the openVR version as it's obviously underdone going by feedback.  Let the devs do their job and tell the marketing and accounts team to chill.

It'd also have helped highlight they are treating each version as a separate platform, supported by a press release stating as such.

From what I understand of the ESport competition they won't have VR at the events so it seems odd that people can qualify with OpenVR.  Ive seen this used as a reason Oculus users may not be allowed in the event on this forum.

Edited by DarrenBarrett

1 hour ago, DarrenBarrett said:

Why would I like To have seen a delay on the OpenVR release?

So they could continue to develop and optimize the openVR version as it's obviously underdone going by feedback.  Let the devs do their job and tell the marketing and accounts team to chill.

It'd also have helped highlight they are treating each version as a separate platform, supported by a press release stating as such.

From what I understand of the ESport competition they won't have VR at the events so it seems odd that people can qualify with OpenVR.  Ive seen this used as a reason Oculus users may not be allowed in the event on this forum.

Lets be realistic on the likelihood of any Oculus users getting through to the finals for the eSports thing to matter.  The daily community events (which covers multiple platforms) often have more than 1500 competitors.  The Oculus only daily events usually have around 12.  It isn't super likely that the few Oculus active racers are going to be top ten competitors in the grand scheme.  Now the fact that there are so few racers on Oculus is a pretty good reason to skip support.  That sucks for me because I am one of those very few racers.

25 minutes ago, NateFink said:

Lets be realistic on the likelihood of any Oculus users getting through to the finals for the eSports thing to matter.  The daily community events (which covers multiple platforms) often have more than 1500 competitors.  The Oculus only daily events usually have around 12.  It isn't super likely that the few Oculus active racers are going to be top ten competitors in the grand scheme.  Now the fact that there are so few racers on Oculus is a pretty good reason to skip support.  That sucks for me because I am one of those very few racers.

Your failing to take into account all the VR users that purchased on steam, based upon how VR was on Dirt Rally 1. Im one of those users. It will skew the figures of who is using VR and who isnt, and means you cant judge its uptake based upon the Oculus store version daily participation numbers.

1 minute ago, Ialyrn said:

Your failing to take into account all the VR users that purchased on steam, based upon how VR was on Dirt Rally 1. Im one of those users. It will skew the figures of who is using VR and who isnt, and means you cant judge its uptake based upon the Oculus store version daily participation numbers.

The Steam VR version can compete in the eSports.  The Steam VR version was off to a shaky start, but it looks like it is on the right path.  The Oculus version is getting general updates, but it looks like DLC and eSports support is a bridge too far for business reasons. 

Now if any Oculus using Steam VR make it into the finals, those guys are going to have some adjustment problems and probably won't win but at least they had the options.  Also they got the free BMW M2 which Oculus store buyers do not get.

14 minutes ago, NateFink said:

The Oculus version is getting general updates, but it looks like DLC and eSports support is a bridge too far for business reasons. 

Actually, Codemasters have confirmed multiple times that DLC is on the way in regards to the Oculus store version. Infact, they had a glitch over on the Oculus store that allowed some users to buy the DLC prematurly a few days ago. Chances are they are in the process of setting up the nessicery store on the Oculus store version of the game, since it looks to be going for an in app purchase route. Judging by the information surrounding the glitch I just mentioned.

As for Esports, it kinda makes sense it isnt on the Oculus store version. Far as I can see, there is no way to access a desktop mode. So the game would always have to be played via the Oculus HDM. The steam version on the other hand, can be played on a monitor or via VR. Anyone who follows the blogs for the game, will know that the world series will be completed on monitors at a IRL venue. So people have the ability to practice.

As for the BMW M2, you might not be able to get it in my team on the Oculus Store version; but it is in freeplay. I know, because I took it on a couple of stages on Argentina while I was doing my Oculus store vs SteamVR performance testing.

Edited by Ialyrn

The DLC is all there in the folder, there is no "technical" issue with releasing it.  There is business/politics issue.    Business/politics issues are frequently infinitely more  difficult to fix than technical problems.

1 minute ago, NateFink said:

The DLC is all there in the folder, there is no "technical" issue with releasing it.  There is business/politics issue.    Business/politics issues are frequently infinitely more  difficult to fix than technical problems.

Dont get me wrong, I want the DLC out on the Oculus version as well. Even though I have both versions of the game, the Oculus store version runs the smoothest for me. But the information ive posted up, wasnt just made up by me on the spot. People have been saying for well over a week that they was able to buy the DLC on the Oculus Store version via an in game pop-up, and @PJTierney confirmed on Monday that there was a glitch that allowed it to be sold early.

2 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Dont get me wrong, I want the DLC out on the Oculus version as well. Even though I have both versions of the game, the Oculus store version runs the smoothest for me. But the information ive posted up, wasnt just made up by me on the spot. People have been saying for well over a week that they was able to buy the DLC on the Oculus Store version via an in game pop-up, and @PJTierney confirmed on Monday that there was a glitch that allowed it to be sold early.

but that's the point. it's not a technical issue, it's clearly a business/licensing one. they are probably in negotiations currently and that is why PJ cannot say anything about when the DLC will be officially released on Oculus - because discussing details of a deal publicly is not permitted when said deal is not yet finalized. your and @NateFink's points are very much compatible 🙂

• Agree 1

I find it ******** about esport and the use of VR. I have VR and it is super, but my time difference wirh a decent monitor is not so much as the time difference I would have when I suddenly had to use another wheel were I am not familiar with. For instance the placing of the handbrake makes it now automatic for me, if I have to look were the damn thing is would cost serious time.

4 hours ago, ianism said:

but that's the point. it's not a technical issue, it's clearly a business/licensing one. they are probably in negotiations currently and that is why PJ cannot say anything about when the DLC will be officially released on Oculus - because discussing details of a deal publicly is not permitted when said deal is not yet finalized. your and @NateFink's points are very much compatible 🙂

Your making the assumption that codemasters are not having to do any additional coding and ui design work, in order to sell dlc via the oculus store. You have to remember that it is a closed ecosystem, much like the ps4 and the xbox. And like those two other systems, only content up to the standard that oculus choose is allowed to be released on the oculus store. So the issue thay dlc isnt currently on thay platform, is most likely both a buisness/license issue, and a technical issue.