Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone use medium or hard tyre compound?

I have played this game since the day it was released, and I’ve never found the use of other tyres than soft or wet/snow where those are available. Medium and hard seems to only make the car more slippery, and why such tyres when soft never get worned between services? 🤔

• Like 1

Good question!
Maby should try to make Club with 12 stages and only one service at start, hc damage on if that matters. 
If soft tires last whole event then maby it´s time to tweak those worn quicker.
Surely you get red warning at service only after four stages but does it really matter how they behave.

Posted (edited)

Yes, that’s right, but I think it’s rather lazy of CM when medium and hard aren’t at all usefull in My Team.

Another thing I don’t get is why there is no mud tyres for Poland, New Zealand, Australia, Argentina and USA? There were better tyre options in Colin McRae Rally 1 and 2.0 released some 20 years ago, than DR 2.0. How come? 🤔

Edited by Kjell007
  • Agree 1

The main benefit to hard for long runs it seems is that they are much more difficult to blowout. Soft lose their good grip after a stage and if I have to run soft for 3 stages, they seem shot by the end of the last one.  Cant tell if it is all in my head or not, the uh. Wish CM would clarify and/or tweak them to make sense.

Posted (edited)

Made club with every event 12 stages and only three services (1-5-9)
Australia with HC settings:
1-4 medium ones, more slippery than soft, warning at service.
5-8 new medium ones, no warning at service.
9-12 soft ones, grip was good whole four stages and no puncture.

So maby I choose soft ones for next event.
Longer service interval would be too hard for many gamers, it would be nice to cross the finish line and not retire at every event :classic_smile:

Compared to DR1 it´s really nice there is also different kind of tyres but there should be matter what to use, not just harder are more slippery.

Edited by MJV1973

it is possible to wear out (ie make them worn, not just used) in three stages if at least two of them are long. it usually takes at least four short ones though, and yes you really notice the difference towards the end of the third stage, but the time you lose is way less than if you'd picked mediums. 

I had a couple of events early in the game where I forgot to change tires at a service station so I had to do 5-6 stages on softs. I'm pretty sure that even if you do that many stages on soft, you'll still probably be faster overall than if you picked hards.

to be fair though, in the description for hards it says that they're more for tarmac

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

There is short tarmac parts at gravel stages so just because of that I think it´s not wise to choose harder compound.
For dry tarmac I´ll take soft ones but if there is also water on the tarmac then it´s almost necessary to take wet ones even if there is two dry stages before wet.

Edited by MJV1973

Took me 3 Longs in Germany before the softs were shot and not gripping anymore. Outside of clubs there really isn't any reason to run mediums or hards. If you want to test it, do a custom event with 12 Longs in Germany (yes you will hate your life after this). 1 service stop at stage 7, I would highly recommend doing the first half with mediums then try the 2nd half with softs.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MJV1973 said:

There is short tarmac parts at gravel stages so just because of that I think it´s not wise to choose harder compound.
For dry tarmac I´ll take soft ones but if there is also water on the tarmac then it´s almost necessary to take wet ones even if there is two dry stages before wet.

I'm not a very good driver, but in my experience if there's two dry stages and one wet before the next service, you're much better off taking wet tires over soft - unless at least one of the dry ones is long and the wet one is short.

wet tires are actually pretty good on dry, but anything also on wet tarmac is just terrrrrrrrible haha

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ianism said:

wet tires are actually pretty good on dry, but anything also on wet tarmac is just terrrrrrrrible haha

Yes, I think that needs also some tweaking.
Maby something between those, medium but it´s just as terrible at wet tarmac.

Edited by MJV1973

I use Medium on gravel stages over 7km, or back-to-back stages exceeding 7km.

Softs on all tarmac stages in Spain and Germany, regardless of length; and on gravel stages under 7km. 

Not used Hard tyres to date!

As of 1.5, I apparently use them all the time. Even when selecting Soft.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1