F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

FIX THE DREADFUL DARK/LIGHTING PROBLEM (please!)

Xbox One X. HDR switched off. Below are direct screen captures, straight to disk.

This is Poland at 2pm in the afternoon, on an overcast day. Away from the clumps of trees, there is light. Get into the tree clumps, and you see this.

This is absurd, and no fun for anybody.

In-game brightness is at normal. Increasing it does not help the problem.

@PJTierney@urgaffel Please, the lack of ambient lighting in this game needs some love. Thanks.

Bloarcus_DiRTRally20_20190618_03-37-36.jpg

Bloarcus_DiRTRally20_20190618_03-37-47.jpg

Bloarcus_DiRTRally20_20190618_03-38-02.jpg

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 8

100% agree with this. I have a Samsung UE49 (7 series) and genuinely could not find a single setting on both X1X and TV to play DR2 in a comfortable manner. When I say comfortable I mean without having to squint through a permanently dark/foggy horizon or the blurring effect of glaring light (depending on time of day / weather conditions). This was no different in 720p, 1080p and 4k and even worse (ultra blurry) when the ingame 4k mode was turned off 

I freely admit to not having flawless 20:20 vision (I have low level cataracts that react to extreme brightness) but even so, I can still see and was also fully aware that the game was hurting my eyes to a point where it was probably doing more harm than good, so for the sake of my own well being I sold my physical copy and moved over to PC where I could tailor visual settings to suit my needs. It's not perfect but, oh my god, it's so much nicer to have that greater degree of clarity.

My hope was that, when enforcing all these lighting effects on console gamers, Codemasters would also recognise the fact that not all TV's display visuals the same way and not everyone has perfect eyesight so it's not necessarily the case that default settings with just a HDR slider is going to be sufficient enough to suit all needs. Alas though, it clearly seems to be the case that PC-esque settings aren't going to happen and those console gamers affected have to either make do or not bother with the game at all.

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 1

I have no idea about graphics coding, but wouldn't setting the ambient light levels, or adjusting shadow black levels on these particular rallies (NZ, Poland in particular), be reasonably straightforward?

8 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Xbox One X. HDR switched off. Below are direct screen captures, straight to disk.

This is Poland at 2pm in the afternoon, on an overcast day. Away from the clumps of trees, there is light. Get into the tree clumps, and you see this.

Which Poland stage is this? I want to make some comparison screenshots with shadows set to Off and Medium to see if it's the same problem I suspect is happening with New Zealand, namely that the game is doing the brightness assessment before rendering shadows.

1 hour ago, caerphoto said:

Which Poland stage is this? I want to make some comparison screenshots with shadows set to Off and Medium to see if it's the same problem I suspect is happening with New Zealand, namely that the game is doing the brightness assessment before rendering shadows.

Add Australia and Spain to the equation.

I remember Spain had this is issue as well on forest areas on Sunset time as well. I remember the section before the iconic hairpin turn with some signs, that goes into a big straight.

As for Australia, the last sectors of Mount Kaye Pass, with the forests, is also a good example.

Edited by Riggs
  • Thanks 1

This has to be Xbox specific as on pc I've never had the issue the lighting is fantastic on there. Does the game have luminance adjustment on Xbox or is it just brightness when in hdr

Edited by nukeded

22 minutes ago, nukeded said:

This has to be Xbox specific as on pc I've never had the issue the lighting is fantastic on there. Does the game have luminance adjustment on Xbox or is it just brightness when in hdr

it has absolutely no graphical adjustment option at all, just brightness. you have this issue on ps4 as well although from what people have been reporting it does seem a little bit worse on xbox. 

i constantly have to adjust the 'black stabilizer' setting on my monitor (LG UL600) depending not only on the time of day in the game but also the location, which is bizarre as the lighting seems to be applied inconsistently across the locations.

the consoles versions also have all the effects turned up to 11 - bloom, god rays, lens flare etc. which doesn't really help things much either, and no options to turn them off.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, nukeded said:

It's not. The same problems are present on PC regardless of the graphics settings used.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 1

I agree with the sentiment that I'd like to see this reviewed and looked at - I don't agree with the word 'garbage'.

I've never seen anything near as bad as those screens on PS4 Pro @Jake Cushing what track is that and how far in? 

Edited by FLAW3D

Do you see all those boxes 1-15?

I don´t have problems with PS4 and calibrated (i1DPro@HCFR) LG OLED65C8 (fw 05.10.00).
I even made somekind of compromise and lost two darkest shades of black but got better near black tracking.

blacktest1_15.jpg

Edited by MJV1973

Apparently codemasters are aware of the issue yet haven’t seen it internally, now I know there not going to have every tv/monitor to try and replicate users problems but surely they must have a hdr tv and a Xbox and if so the issue is that obvious that it’s surprising to think they haven’t seen it internally.

11 hours ago, Evo8uk said:

Apparently codemasters are aware of the issue yet haven’t seen it internally.

Probably because they work on US$2,000 Asus HDR monitors. or i would assume anyway.

this is why it's vital for games companies to have at least a few different types of monitors to test their products on, including some mid-range and even lower-range monitors. how many people out there have monitors/TVs in the $1-2,000 range? not a lot i'd guess.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tranzitive said:

Probably because they work on US$2,000 Asus HDR monitors. or i would assume anyway.

this is why it's vital for games companies to have at least a few different types of monitors to test their products on, including some mid-range and even lower-range monitors. how many people out there have monitors/TVs in the $1-2,000 range? not a lot i'd guess.

You can buy calibrated Dell IPS monitors for 250-300 USD. The problem is that most people don't care about the proper viewing experience, so they just use their monitors with crappy settings. All they need is an expert to calibrate their display.

Edited by Lollerke

Let's be very clear:

This has nothing to do with choice of monitor, or calibration.

Don't believe me? Here are image links, on the Xbox website where screen captures are directly uploaded:

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/bloarcus/screenshot/12313277

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/bloarcus/screenshot/12313275

In other words, this is what the Xbox is out-putting to the screen. No adjustments or monitor choice will change that.

@RodgerDavies I've changed the thread title. I understand your dislike of that kind of disrespectful wording. However in this instance, I am a bit exasperated. Our community manager has steadfastly refused to comment on whether this issue is being looked at. Same with CM staff. Oh, and it was also a cheeky reference to the 'fix the garbage rain graphics' thread we are all familiar with! 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

It certainly doesnt have to do with the monitor, i have a BenQ XL2411Z, which wasn't cheap and it's calibrated and I have the same problems like everyone else.

Plus, even if it had to do with monitors, not everyone has or will spend 300 dollars in a single monitor just because the brightness values aren't right.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 1

@caerphoto My apologies, but I did not record which stage in Poland this is... nor do I recall. It's where the heaviest tree-clumps are situated, not that this isn't obvious! 😜

I am assuming the similar problem with New Zealand and other stages has remained intact. I'm holding of playing again, waiting for the next updates. Hopefully this issue will finally get some change.

Ever closer...

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

@caerphoto My apologies, but I did not record which stage in Poland this is... nor do I recall. It's where the heaviest tree-clumps are situated, not that this isn't obvious! 😜

Maybe it's worse on console in this instance, because on PC I couldn't find any part of either long stage in the conditions you mentioned that was this dark. There were a few dark sections, but nothing this bad, and I could still see where I was going just fine.

That said, the dark forest sections were probably darker than they should be.

8 hours ago, Lollerke said:

You can buy calibrated Dell IPS monitors for 250-300 USD. The problem is that most people don't care about the proper viewing experience, so they just use their monitors with crappy settings. All they need is an expert to calibrate their display.

Funny as i have not needed an expert to calibrate my monitor for any other game besides this one and all of them look fine. 

Bottom line is if expert monitor calibrators are needed for the player to have an even remotely pleasant viewing experience then something is wrong with the game, not the monitors. 

Before changing careers I was studying sound design and one of the first things they teach you is to check your mix and master on multiple different pieces of equipment - headphones, hi-fi speakers, in a club if you can, even in your car. If your mix sounds precisely tuned on the expert-calibrated equipment in the studio that costs 1,000s of dollars but sounds unlistenable in a club or on a regular hi fi then you've failed in your job. 

Same principle applies here. If the game looks great on an expert-calibrated 2,000 dollar monitor but is almost unplayable in certain section on a 200 dollar TV then something is wrong and it's not the TV that's at fault. 

On the subject of sound, don't even get me started on how bad some of the audio mixing is in the game. The sound DESIGN is incredible but whoever did the final mix of all the elements didn't do a very good job imo. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, caerphoto said:

Maybe it's worse on console in this instance, because on PC I couldn't find any part of either long stage in the conditions you mentioned that was this dark. There were a few dark sections, but nothing this bad, and I could still see where I was going just fine.

That said, the dark forest sections were probably darker than they should be.

I've played both versions and yes, I do agree the PC version isn't perfect but it's still much, much better than the X1X.

Dark really is dark and whilst turning up HDR brightness does improve things visually in these sections, the second you exit in to daylight you are met with a glaring wall of blurry over-bright light that's even harder to drive through. It's kind of a lose, lose scenario.

It's weird really because I personally found that, in terms of clarity of visibility (and providing I could keep my headlights intact), night time driving was by far the most comfortable scenario simply because there was nothing from up there in the sky affecting my view. Something has to be amiss you can complete a stage quicker in pitch black conditions than you can in overcast conditions at 2.30 in the afternoon. IFor me, in Poland and New Zealand that was exactly the case.. 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

I’ve pretty much given up on doing the career because of this issue, for me this is the biggest problem with the game that desperately needs fixing.

• Agree 2

Found a fix for this on PC today:

Go to your my documents folder
Go into saved games/ my games folder
Find dirt rally 2.0 folder
go into hardwaresettings
with notepad or other text editor, open up hardware_settings_config.xml
Find and then replace this value:
<hdr level="1.0" />
with 
<hdr level="0.1" />

Credit to G3tright1337 on RaceDepartment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found that Poland during the day with overcast conditions looks like there's a severe storm approaching.  I actually quite like the mood, it's also overall darker as a result.  However I haven't had any issues where I'd say it was too dark, and actually all the provided screen shots look good to me on my monitor with normal brightness settings, granted it's not HDR so I don't know what it actually looks like in HDR, but you say the issue is with HDR turned off anyway.  I feel the screen shots look pretty realistic for the conditions based on the way the sky looks.  I quite like it.  

Only time there were I found areas that were too dark was when the game initial launched, some areas of New Zealand were broken but that was patched up nicely.  Haven't had any complaints about it since.  But I would light the headlights to work properly in more conditions, as the tunnel in Monte Carlo is blackness.  Headlights do work effectively during Overcast conditions in Poland though, I use them often.  

Just reading the patch notes for 1.6 which is out next week and once again no mention of this issue at all!!! This has been one of the most requested fixes on here and codemasters have never once officially acknowledged the problem it’s so frustrating that this issue almost ruins the game in certain stages!!

22 minutes ago, Evo8uk said:

Just reading the patch notes for 1.6 which is out next week and once again no mention of this issue at all!!! This has been one of the most requested fixes on here and codemasters have never once officially acknowledged the problem it’s so frustrating that this issue almost ruins the game in certain stages!!

image.png.216f1a48c70ee05a9a7e1b082a0a4d16.png