FIX THE DREADFUL DARK/LIGHTING PROBLEM (please!)

Didn’t see that one!! Glad it’s been acknowledged although I don’t really understand their difficulty in reproducing it but either way I’m glad it’s being looked into. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Thank GOD for this thread, I thought I was going crazy. We got this game on PS+ this month so probably tons of new players. That lighting management is the worst I have seen in ANY game. Absolutely terrible. How could this get through QC, and worse, still hasn’t been patched??

I even doubted my vision at some point and loaded Dirt Rally, no problem at all with lighting conditions. 

It makes matters even worse that if you’re doing ok, you always start last so super late in the day for afternoon stages. What a shame...

For me in this state the game is broken. Yes you CAN play but it is a real chore.

It seems to me this game was rushed out. Tons of details missing compared to the very complete first game. A few examples:

- elevation change numbers. Why not include a simple + or - like before so we know if it’s up or down??

- no driving stats (total distance etc)

- no detail in any menu of what adjustments do

- no info on engine improvements...

Playing in regular PS4 on 49” LG TV with HDR. I tried HDR off and all sorts of settings on the TV and PS4, it’s the game that’s wrong.

PS: Codemasters if you are reading this I can send you screenshots and video examples anytime. I can add GT Sport examples to compare 😄

Edited by Sebweasel

Posted (edited)

I agree. Some parts of some stages should be brighter (fragments of Poland, New Zealand, Australia), while some should be darker (Sweden stages during day with snowy conditions are undriveable).

Will there be any more patches for DR2 though?

Edited by danielofifi

3 hours ago, danielofifi said:

I agree. Some parts of some stages should be brighter (fragments of Poland, New Zealand, Australia), while some should be darker (Sweden stages during day with snowy conditions are undriveable).

Will there be any more patches for DR2 though?

I guess not...

To give one positive comment though, I absolutely LOVE how the M2 sounds on hood cam 😄

I dont get this thread. It’s light where it should be light, and darker where it should be. It’s especially dark amongst the trees if you’ve broken your lights! I wonder if that’s whats confusing a few of you?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

I dont get this thread. It’s light where it should be light, and darker where it should be. It’s especially dark amongst the trees if you’ve broken your lights! I wonder if that’s whats confusing a few of you?

Well actually I did a stage the other day with broken headlights at night, I could see the road like during dusk in some stages. It doesn’t make sense. 
If you can’t see a shaded road during daytime there’s a problem with shade management. It’s just not how light and vision work. Also not how tree leaves work, currently sucking light like a black hole.

Have you played the career mode? Because this issue is far less noticeable in free play where where stages are set for mid day. Try career mode starting from the back (meaning leading the event). 

As others have mentioned, it doesn’t make any sense that driving is easier at night because the road is consistently lit by headlights. Also, after hundreds of hours playing all sorts of racing games, if we have to spend hours adjusting our TVs unsuccessfully, again, it means that there’s something wrong with the game. 

Edited by Sebweasel

Yes i play career, and what you (and others) are saying just doesn’t match my experience at all. 

One of the daily challenges today was R2 class at Poland, at 23:57 in heavy rain. I’ve never been to a real life rally, but I highly doubt they race at midnight in heavy rain in Poland. Regardless, the lighting on this game should’ve been completely re-coded before this game was released. It was near impossible to see on the stage. The headlights hardly light the stage far enough to make a difference, and with the heavy rain (while improved since original release), I am surprised I got as far as I did. I understeered into the chicane in the middle of the stage and barely bumped one of the bales for the turn, but that ruined my headlights (actually showed it was HEAVILY DAMAGED when repairing after) so I gave up in frustration. Not only did it take a couple of times to connect to the server to launch the event, the event was virtually impossible in my opinion with the lighting and rain effects in the game. I’m sorry CM, but if the next Dirt game doesn’t learn from the issues DR2.0 seems to have, I am going to have a serious talk with myself before purchasing the next one (especially if the DLC is 98% from the previous game 😉 ). 

• Like 1

Hey guys

I registered here only to add my view on the topic

I am 36 and I've been playing this amazing series of games since the very first Colin McRae Rally back in 1998. I was a fan of it until Dirt Rally 2.0. I was planning to buy it in PS store but luckily (I was so happy) it became available via PS Plus

What a disappointment with this TERRIBLE darkness setting. I've tried all settings (not too much options on PS4) inc. turning off HDR completely. Useless. I just cannot play it. Imagine you are pushing really hard and sweating to arrive in top 3, but than suddenly without any reason during normal sunny or cloudy day YOU CANNOT SE A ****!

Those of you who has doubts, this is a brilliant youtube video where a guy is demonstrating the the problem in all its glory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9HQ_0iosE

I give up and will not play this **** anymore. Thats absurd, ridiculous and sick 

Best regards

Roman 

On 6/25/2020 at 1:32 AM, Fbs2001 said:

Hey guys

I registered here only to add my view on the topic

I am 36 and I've been playing this amazing series of games since the very first Colin McRae Rally back in 1998. I was a fan of it until Dirt Rally 2.0. I was planning to buy it in PS store but luckily (I was so happy) it became available via PS Plus

What a disappointment with this TERRIBLE darkness setting. I've tried all settings (not too much options on PS4) inc. turning off HDR completely. Useless. I just cannot play it. Imagine you are pushing really hard and sweating to arrive in top 3, but than suddenly without any reason during normal sunny or cloudy day YOU CANNOT SE A ****!

Those of you who has doubts, this is a brilliant youtube video where a guy is demonstrating the the problem in all its glory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9HQ_0iosE

I give up and will not play this **** anymore. Thats absurd, ridiculous and sick 

Best regards

Roman 

I am sorry to hear you are still having this problem.

However, that video you have linked is well over a year old. Most of us (myself included) have found that all the patches over time have basically removed darkness as an issue. I certainly do not find it's a problem at all anymore. There are some dark-ish areas in for example Poland under forest, but this is quite realistic and moody.

Are you certain you have switched off HDR at the console system settings, and has your game been updated to the latest version?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

Most of us (myself included) have found that all the patches over time have basically removed darkness as an issue.

Glad it's fixed for you, but I don't think they did anything at all (edit: at least since we got the game on PS+ in April), unless you saw patch notes that said something about this issue?

The problem is, in my experience, it mostly depends on racing time of day. I remove that variable by playing time trial or custom events exclusively. But there is no denying that, still today, many times of day are simply unplayable on some stages. Check out the image attached from a few days ago. That's with no HDR and I know that a picture doesn't say much but I guarantee you that I couldn't see a THING (on a side note, rain / water looks pretty terrible for this gen).

I don't mean to be too harsh on the game, especially since I got it for free so I'm grateful and love many parts of it, but that doesn't change the fact that lighting in this game doesn't work properly.

Playing on regular PS4, tried all brightness settings.

1091342726_rainNZ.thumb.jpeg.8f4513db507cdd086499e355d6571c34.jpeg

Edited by Sebweasel