Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

F1 Classic Game Idea

Codemasters should not have any classic content in their annual release formula 1 game what they should do is make a new series called - F1 Classic - The game would feature content from a classic year of formula 1 it would feature all the official drivers cars and circuits from that season. What season, well codemasters could hold a vote on this forum to determine what season. Lets say everyone voted for the 1999 season the game would include all the drivers, cars, circuits, rules and regulations with all practice and qualifying sessions from the 1999 season. The game would be named (F1 Classic - 1999 Edition)

There are only two problems.

CM are a small developer, how do you think could they buy 2 licenses (current and classic) and make with a handfull people such a good game...? (note: they would have to split their current developers and the current F1-series isn't very good. So...what would you expect? I don't think that a game named "F1 Classic" would be better than a 5 year series (2009-2014) where they had time to find experiance...

The second problem are CM themselves, because I don't think they want to do something like that (which isn't bad because they should focus on the current season).

That's my opinion, but I hope, you won't have too much hope in this because your idea can't ever happen :/

1) Trying to license every track, team, car, driver, sponsor etc. from one full season would be too hard and expensive
2) The game would not sell enough

I loved the classics in F1 2013. 

But I tend to agree with what Sector 4 says. It would be too difficult and the game would not sell enough. I would buy it though.

What would maybe be a better idea would be for codemasters to develop tools to allow people to create their own cars, tracks etc. There is a huge base of people out there who would then do the work on the individual cars. My guess is every F1 season would be done in no time.

I think there is a big gap in the market for this kind of "racing toolkit" - there is money to be made here.

If they chose to do this, I don't think CM could have cars from the late 90s and early 2000s since other developers have the rights for those seasons.

I liked the idea of the classics back in 2013, but I didn't like the choice of tracks except imola which was good with the modern cars too but I could not stand how they changed the colour and contrast of everything to make it look like an old game rather than old cars being driven on old tracks. it looked like an old arcade game and I didn't like it.

Too much red tape unfortunately, hard enough for the current season each year from what it seems.

I agree license is a issue, and I know other developers have rights to some season, as for where codemasters will find time to make the game I think if it was a 1 release every 2 years thing maybe so. I think it could be done. my question to every one is would you buy it.

I agree license is a issue, and I know other developers have rights to some season, as for where codemasters will find time to make the game I think if it was a 1 release every 2 years thing maybe so. I think it could be done. my question to every one is would you buy it.

dirt3joe said:
I loved the classics in F1 2013. 

But I tend to agree with what Sector 4 says. It would be too difficult and the game would not sell enough. I would buy it though.

What would maybe be a better idea would be for codemasters to develop tools to allow people to create their own cars, tracks etc. There is a huge base of people out there who would then do the work on the individual cars. My guess is every F1 season would be done in no time.

I think there is a big gap in the market for this kind of "racing toolkit" - there is money to be made here.
I think you'll find this is where sims like rFactor and Assetto Corsa come in, with mods.

i think that if a lot of people are for this idea then it could be possible. maybe start from the 80's and move up to the 90's. i would love this. my favourite f1 car is the williams fw10 and having a chance to drive it would be awesome. im sure that licenses could be easily worked out and cost kept at an acceptable level

TB214 said:

hmmm im gonna have to think abo-YES!!!!!! YES!!!! 

naturon said:
i think that if a lot of people are for this idea then it could be possible. maybe start from the 80's and move up to the 90's. i would love this. my favourite f1 car is the williams fw10 and having a chance to drive it would be awesome. im sure that licenses could be easily worked out and cost kept at an acceptable level
Not as easily as you might think they're struggling a little bit financially atm. I hope they can an ddo recover but aside from the planned F1 2015 or whatever they call it I'd leave it at that for now.

The licensing can be a nightmare: they need to separately license:
The teams/cars
The drivers
The tracks
All the sponsors, both on the cars and around the tracks

It's not like modern F1 seasons, where they get the whole thing in one bundle, sadly.

If you ever saw the Grand Prix Legends game, it was missing Honda and Cooper teams as they couldn't or wouldn't allow the license. The NASCAR Racing 4 UK version was missing teams present in the US version, IndyCar Racing missed the Newman Haas team and Nigel Mansell (as he was licensed elsewhere). In F1, Jacques Villeneuve was missing from several '90s F1 racing games, as he had his own license.

So even in more modern times, licensing can be a minefield (look at Williams Martini-less cars!).

Just on VirtuaIceMan comments i think you would just need the license for that season. not sure about that but its something that codemasters might talk to the FIA about, but as you all have said cost is the problem. i still think there is money to be made from this idea. but it is all about cost. thanks naturon for supporting this, and good idea they could start in the 80s and go from there.

Although I very much like the idea, I have too agree with the others saying licensing would be a huge problem.

(not sure if I'm allowed to post this, but...)
...for those interested; there is a supermod for F1 Challenge that contains all seasons from 1950 up to 2015.