Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Car Handling Model

Have there been any improvements made to the car handling model - particularly the setups? Is telemetry finally implemented so during practice sessions or time trials you can see what adjustments need to be made? Does the engineer recommend setups adjustments during the practice sessions or time trials?

Given that this is a racing game - and central to that is car handling, setups, and telemetry - it is surprising to hear virtually nothing from the developers on these aspects. Setups and telemetry have been a very weak part of this game - and most important in real life F1. 

On 6/19/2019 at 7:23 PM, dwin20 said:

Have there been any improvements made to the car handling model - particularly the setups? Is telemetry finally implemented so during practice sessions or time trials you can see what adjustments need to be made? Does the engineer recommend setups adjustments during the practice sessions or time trials?

Kind of, no and no respectively. They removed ballast from the setup menu, which should make setting the car up a bit more challenging since ballast was basically a cheat in the previous games. I don’t think anything else has been changed. For telemetery, there are seperate apps for that but not ingame.

31 minutes ago, Andrew210227 said:

Kind of, no and no respectively. They removed ballast from the setup menu, which should make setting the car up a bit more challenging since ballast was basically a cheat in the previous games. I don’t think anything else has been changed. For telemetery, there are seperate apps for that but not ingame.

don't get it why say the ballast was a cheat?? it does what it suppose to if moved to the back will help the car rotate, it an element of setup that you could tweek to your like and driving style.

to some it worked and others just did not bother with it but call it a cheat is just wrong and ignorant. 

by the way here is an impression from a sim racer and it very positive.

The ballast allowed you to max/minimize virtually every other setting and still be able to get the car to rotate through the corners. It made working on an actual setup completely unnecessary.

Just now, Andrew210227 said:

The ballast allowed you to max/minimize virtually every other setting and still be able to get the car to rotate through the corners. It made working on an actual setup completely unnecessary.

Yeah, it essentially ruined the handling model as it made for setups that were very unstable, on the edge of driveability but yet gave so much turn in they're unbeatable with 'normal' setups once you learn to drive around it.

I'm happy the ballast is gone and I hope no other major exploit setups like that will be found this year.

this is my point just because some drivers are able to take advantage and capable of driving with more rear ballast doesn't make this a cheat or exploit because that what a ballast does it changes the balance of the car and affect other settings directly or indirectly.

it like saying running very high negative camber gives you unfair cornering grip advantage. 

So you are saying that just because you cant drive with ballast its a cheat ? Lmao ur funny

Gonna be funny to see how many people hate F1 2019 because they can't crank up the ballast anymore to be really fast.

Fortunately my setups generally didn't depend on ballast except for Belgium which I ran at 5 because I found 6 and above very unstable for Eau Rouge. That one's gonna be fun since it's no longer possible to lower it either.

With ballast gone - are there any other setup options added?

What telemetry apps are available?

I’m so glad the ballast has gone, I never used it last year anyway though. But on another note, what’s with the crazy understeer this year? The cars feel so slow through the corners, where in real life they’re still smashing lap records even with these new front wings. Turn 9 at Catalunya for example, in real life it’s completely flat in qualifying. In the game you have to lift a lot!

Anyone found a way around this understeer yet?

26 minutes ago, Luke1991 said:

I’m so glad the ballast has gone, I never used it last year anyway though. But on another note, what’s with the crazy understeer this year? The cars feel so slow through the corners, where in real life they’re still smashing lap records even with these new front wings. Turn 9 at Catalunya for example, in real life it’s completely flat in qualifying. In the game you have to lift a lot!

Anyone found a way around this understeer yet?

Yeah you were fixing it with ballast but becasue of people like you its gone

8 minutes ago, Auryel27 said:

No it’s gone because the new 2019 regs banned moveable ballast and mandates any ballast required to bring the driver up to the minimum 80kg weight must be placed around the cockpit tub basically directly behind his seat level with where he sits so it doesn’t help lower the center of gravity!

38 minutes ago, Auryel27 said:

I did say in my post that I never used the ballast setting... I hated the way it made the cars feel. You could get rid of the understeer without having to use ballast. The question was about why the cars this year have so much understeer.