Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too short finishes

Was this problem ever raised? It'a quite stupid and annoying that you have to slow down before finish to avoid crash at stop line...

Many stages have this problem, for example Poland Jagodno. This issue is so silly that I can't even understand how it could be designed this way...

Yes, this has been brought up a few times.  I think they are trying to be realistic with actual rally finishes, and most are long enough if only just by a hair.  Everyone has to drive the same stage so it's not unfair or anything.  You could try maxing out the time control braking setting and see.  It is partway on by default and I turned mine off because regaining control and not kneecapping the time marshall at the end is part of the experience. 

the short finishes are true to life.

by the way you don't actually have to stop in that area for the stage to end. doing anything in that area that causes the car to reset will end the stage. this is actually how the game recognizes that it's time to end the stage when you come to a complete stop in that area. because on a stage, if you come to a complete stop it will trigger the event asking if you want to reset the car, but coming to a complete stop in that area at the end of the stage will end it instead.

so if you don't want to stop you can just hit one of the marshals (Which usually triggers a reset), or even drive right through to the end of the road, which will also trigger a reset and thus end the stage. you won't get a penalty for either of those things, i've done both loads of times.

personally i usually just hit the marshals as coming to a stop and then waiting for the game to trigger the end of the stage takes too long for me and i find it annoying. hitting one of the marshals instantly triggers the end.

There is few places where just right after finish line is tight corner, like at Germany.
At heavy rain there´s no time to brake soon enough if go full throttle to finish line.
However I like drive till to marshal, bring little bit of reality.

19 hours ago, Bobby1976 said:

kneecapping the time marshall at the end is part of the experience. 

Fixed.lol

I make it a point to blast him. It is a lot quicker to time out, too. 

So some of you try to tell me that in real life organizers risk marshalls life by too short area between finish and stop line?

7 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Who said a finish line must be crossed with full throttle?

Why should I slow down before finish if there is not any turn which I can't handle at high speed? If there is turn after finish it is dangerous only because you have to brake at middle of it with 180 km/h to avoid crash at stop line.

2 hours ago, Fanatyk91 said:

Why should I slow down before finish

To stop safely in finish zone?

Is just as stupid when the marshal waits almost 200 meters or more (Sweden for example) behind the finish line. Why?

On 6/21/2019 at 9:04 AM, MJV1973 said:

I like drive till to marshal, bring little bit of reality.

To me it's an annoyance which adds nothing of value.  At least they should give you the option to disable it, and make it like the original DiRT Rally, then everyone will be happy.

It isn't even well-implemented imo.  The marshall waits till you come to a complete stop, and then a second later he raises his hands to tell you to stop.  Really smart.  That, and the fact he looks like a character model from a PS2 game does not make for an immersive experience, it's just another half-baked lazy 'feature' which sounded good to someone in a meeting but the reality is something else.

You get pace notes of the corner coming up after the finish, if it's a tight corner you have to consider your speed of the finish line.

It's not a human right to carry full throttle at every finish. If you desperately want to, pick time trial, there you have no consequences to what happens after the line. 

On 6/21/2019 at 1:10 AM, Tranzitive said:

the short finishes are true to life.

Who said short finishes are true to life? By-the-book, the Control Stop/Time Control has to be placed, at least, 200 to 300 meters after the finish line (even more if the finish is on a straight or really fast section, or downhill), and as someone who has marshalled FIA events, I can assure you that this rule is strictly applied.

It is not something that bothers me in-game, and I like the inmersion it gives, but it is no true to life.

I love the realism of slowing and stopping by the marshal.

I also hate the horrible metal boxes that constrain each side of the finish line, and strike them half the time it seems.

I love this sim.

1 hour ago, AyrtJ97 said:

200 to 300 meters after the finish line

so in other words the time control is shortly after the finish line.

so you've just confirmed what i've said.

you think 200 meters is long? in a car? okay.

4 hours ago, dirtydog413 said:

At least they should give you the option to disable it, and make it like the original DiRT Rally, then everyone will be happy.

There is setup for that, Time Control Braking :classic_smile:

8 hours ago, AyrtJ97 said:

Who said short finishes are true to life? By-the-book, the Control Stop/Time Control has to be placed, at least, 200 to 300 meters after the finish line (even more if the finish is on a straight or really fast section, or downhill), and as someone who has marshalled FIA events, I can assure you that this rule is strictly applied.

It is not something that bothers me in-game, and I like the inmersion it gives, but it is no true to life.

It's def not true to life no, following those regulations would waste huge resources by modeling road that is not actually used at speed. I'm just happy that it's not straight to cutscene when you come across the finish line. 

Richard Burns binned his Subaru in Finland after the finish line one season if I'm not mistaken? 

20 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

so in other words the time control is shortly after the finish line.

so you've just confirmed what i've said.

you think 200 meters is long? in a car? okay.

It's longer than what we have in-game so I didn't confirmed anything, sorry. And yes, 200 to 300 is enough to slow down an R5 which just came across the finish line at full throttle, and as I said, Time Control can be placed further after the finish if necessary, it is not always 200 meters 😉

20 hours ago, MJV1973 said:

There is setup for that, Time Control Braking :classic_smile:

No it doesn't disable it.  I'm talking about the stage ending at the moment you cross the finish line, not having to slow down (whether manually or the game 'assisting you').  I'm talking about it being the same as it was in DiRT Rally 1.

Some of the distances are a bit small on the game in all fairness but most are adequate.

As for corners after the finish, thats pretty normal. I watched a corner that was immediately after a finish line a couple of years ago. Much fun had :classic_wink:

On 6/24/2019 at 2:00 PM, dirtydog413 said:

No it doesn't disable it.  I'm talking about the stage ending at the moment you cross the finish line, not having to slow down (whether manually or the game 'assisting you').  I'm talking about it being the same as it was in DiRT Rally 1.

This is unfeasible, as it give an unfair advantage (unless you're playing single-player, obviously).

Managing the stop area is a part of the game, in Dirt Rally 1 I commonly just watched my car crash in slow-motion right after passing the finish line - but it didn't matter, because this damage didn't apply to the car (or maybe the screen faded away before the damage was actually dealt? who knows). Right now you cannot "exploit" the finish line by entering it in an unrealistic way. You don't have a 'right' to skip it, just like you don't have a right to drive on autopilot in online modes. Manage your throttle and hit the breaks as soon as you pass the finish line.