No Assists vs. Assists [F1 2019]

I don't see the problem actually. You need to learn to drive without assists to be fast online as it can be enforced in online races or leagues so what does it matter that someone can think he's fast when he can't actually prove it when it really counts.

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Why is the difference between assists and no assists so low?
Especially the combination pad with assists is hard to beat for normal steering wheel riders without assists.

It's not fun that way. The Pad riders, who were much slower lately, are making 5 laps of the time trial before the league race and that's it.
So they drive all of them who practice a lot, but just without assists and with steering wheel drive ....

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LILLHELM said:

Especially the combination pad with assists is hard to beat for normal steering wheel riders without assists.

It's not fun that way. The Pad riders, who were much slower lately, are making 5 laps of the time trial before the league race and that's it.
So they drive all of them who practice a lot, but just without assists and with steering wheel drive ....

Even the pad with no assists is still ridiculously fast in some places due to the innate hidden traction control they've gotten every year since 2014.

• Agree 2

On 6/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, BelgiumDude said:

I don't see the problem actually. You need to learn to drive without assists to be fast online as it can be enforced in online races or leagues so what does it matter that someone can think he's fast when he can't actually prove it when it really counts.

because there isn't any lobby where you can challenge an assist user straight up and with even playingfield, and afterwards get rewarded SKILL points. 

@SturmDesTodes, this vid was also BEFORE patch 1.05 where TC wasn';t as OP as it is now with the stability at the rearside.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, LILLHELM said:

assist users can take 100 times more risk when going out a corner full throttle. Or when they get offtrack they simply don't spin, no negative effect on tyres with dirt. They run on duracell, they keep going and going.... Damage doesn't do anything, they just post best laptimes with damage. I seriously had someone out brake me ON THE GRASS in australia because i blocked the inside. He just came over the grass, and went on like nothing happened. that moment a vein popped in my skull and i went ******** for a short while. Things like that a too ridiculous for words.

NA users have to drive with so much more finnesse and feeling, and not simply press throttle and brake and let the rest be handled for them. Assists are their trainingwheels or Babysitter.

Edited by AlexTT
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, LILLHELM said:

Yesterday there was a league race because somebody did 2 laps in the time trial to save a setup for the race he did not do any more practice for the track and won the race and what a surprise it was a PAD driver. And this driver was much slower in the 2018 game, he has practically without more practice a jump of 0.5sec.- 1sec. made from 2018 game to 2019 game.

I'll just say THANK YOU Codemasters for the 100% Arcade Game you should probably join the series NEED FOR SPEED because you have a lot of competence for.

And there are simply no real differences between driving aids on and off.
I've tested it with assists you beat the car in the curve and everything stable and without braking that is an absolute joke.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LILLHELM said:

I'm so glad this post thread has appeared. I've been wondering why I'm suddenly so **** at driving and I didn't realise it's because I should've been using a pad + assists lol. 😂 

In my opinion this game could be genuinely the best racing game out there, with so much depth and fun and gameplay, combined with a pretty strong physics engine. But alas, the simple issue that this pad TC and the lack of difference assists makes to actual speed/time is ultimately destroying this game for me. It's so damn frustrating.

Edited by ps4richie3602
  • Like 1

I just cant play with assists, there is no fun. In several corners the car brakes automatically, I thought that my throttle pedal was broken, but no, it was the TC control on sensing the corner and braking the car, however no way to compete with assists on, it is very unfair, most of times I finish between the middle to the last place, usually 3 to 10 seconds slower per lap than other players with assists. I tried with assists all on and I'm able to be 1 to 2 seconds slower than players with assists.

Can we open a lobby and force all players to use assists off?  

Formula 1 with assists is not the same as formula 1 with NO assists !!!  Its not the same game. I guess codemaster should only allows create game lobbies with "all assists on" OR "all assists off"  , except the green/red helper line  that could be optional.

• Agree 1

Guys/gals - F1 today uses NO assists. I think the goal of everyone using this game is to come as close as possible to the real experience of what it is to drive an F1 car.  This means you should not be using any assists and be shifting manually and using manual starts where you hold down the clutch and release it as the lights go out - this is F1.  Is this easy, NO. Is it rewarding, YES and more so!  Stick with this recipe and you're on your way to being truly a real F1 driver. 

Edited by FOneFanatic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

They mix No Assist players with Assist players in Ranked. That's an absolute joke. Both have similar speed, but the huge advantage is the unlikely case of someone using assists making a race-ending mistake.  

The entire crew of decision makers in this game need to go to Grid.  F1 deserves people that know what they hell they are doing

• Agree 2

I agree there should be separate lobbies, but for me there has to be more done to stop brake checkers and dangerous driving. Why would i play with no anti lock brakes when idiots wanna brake check me going down any straight?

• Haha 1

As I said in the wheel v pad debate now Im on the wheel and have a new respect for how much harder (mentally and physically with ffb) I totally get the anger about assist players being able to compete very easily with wheel users.

They perhaps should be seperated and ranked differently atleast.

There is obviously a need to have assists in the game for younger players especially but just slow them down like the gear assist.

• Agree 5

On 11/15/2019 at 6:27 PM, AdamFreeman said:

As I said in the wheel v pad debate now Im on the wheel and have a new respect for how much harder (mentally and physically with ffb) I totally get the anger about assist players being able to compete very easily with wheel users.

They perhaps should be seperated and ranked differently atleast.

There is obviously a need to have assists in the game for younger players especially but just slow them down like the gear assist.

I agree about assist it should help a driver it should not make a driver faster.

TC & Break should not let you get a great start with race start & corners it should slow you down more.

It should be a stepping stone not the best way to race. 

CM got it the wrong way round like most things.

I have to lol at anyone that has the game over 2yrs and is in a league and still use TC & brake.

It even sad to hear eSports drivers use it & TCam 

• Agree 1

How come the top of the leaderboards are crowed with none assist users. According to this post the top ranking players should all be using assists or am I missing something? But I agree to the fact that seperate lobbies will rule out the differences between assists and non assists. That seems more fair. We also seem to forget that only a small part of the community is a diehard racer and a far greater part is the casual driver, not investing as much time as the hardcore fan. And this game aimes for the casual player and is trying to please the hardcore fan at the same time as well. That's asking for trouble. You simply can't please both worlds if not every option is selectable. Once you accept that fact to me it becomes more fun.

Slowing down the assist user will make them loose interest in the game very soon as they will not invest enough time to become better or have the will to become better. For me there is still a challenge as I do not belong to the top 100. I'm surrounded by assist and non assist users in the leaderboards and my goal is to get better and therefore I invest. And it pays off. I invested a lot of time over the last months and I have beaten all my private league friends by over a second on every track. And they all use assists were I don't. My point; practice, practice a lot and you will be able to beat every assist user.

Edited by 1512marcel

9 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

How come the top of the leaderboards are crowed with none assist users. According to this post the top ranking players should all be using assists or am I missing something? But I agree to the fact that seperate lobbies will rule out the differences between assists and non assists. That seems more fair. We also seem to forget that only a small part of the community is a diehard racer and a far greater part is the casual driver, not investing as much time as the hardcore fan. And this game aimes for the casual player and is trying to please the hardcore fan at the same time as well. That's asking for trouble. You simply can't please both worlds if not every option is selectable. Once you accept that fact to me it becomes more fun.

Slowing down the assist user will make them loose interest in the game very soon as they will not invest enough time to become better or have the will to become better. For me there is still a challenge as I do not belong to the top 100. I'm surrounded by assist and non assist users in the leaderboards and my goal is to get better and therefore I invest. And it pays off. I invested a lot of time over the last months and I have beaten all my private league friends by over a second on every track. And they all use assists were I don't. My point; practice, practice a lot and you will be able to beat every assist user.

there are those who work and those who have a social life. and it is not all this time to turn like a moron. for them it is enough to modify the programming codes and level everything. instead they do nothing. cheers the esport.

• Agree 1

Spot on, and for exactly for them, the casual users, the game has assists. Like I said, make every option selectable and you can please them all. If they choose not to, you can argue about it or accept that fact. Its not a sim, its a game. Therefor comparing it to PC2 or Assetto is like comparing apples with peers. But I understand the frustration, it’s just how you deal with that.

• Agree 1

If you reward dedicated, long practicing, realism seeking players the same as casual or lazy players ultimately you will end up only with one type of player. 

• Agree 2

I'm not looking for that, just stating that you need to practice to overcome those using assists. Meaning that no assists are faster than assists, but you need to practise. For those who don't want to practise a lot the game still offers a way to be competative and therefor entertaining. That's how I look at it. In my friends league this turned out a well balanced solution were the lessers player could keep up using assists against the more talented drivers, and was fun for everyone.

• Agree 1

On 11/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, 1512marcel said:

I'm not looking for that, just stating that you need to practice to overcome those using assists. Meaning that no assists are faster than assists, but you need to practise. For those who don't want to practise a lot the game still offers a way to be competative and therefor entertaining. That's how I look at it. In my friends league this turned out a well balanced solution were the lessers player could keep up using assists against the more talented drivers, and was fun for everyone.

I agree that everyone should be able to 'play' the game but that's different from being able to 'compete'. When playing with friends the organizer should be able to set individual driver boosts or handicaps as they choose, but let assists actually be assists not boosts. Totally unfair to allow people using them to be consistently faster than those without them. 

Edited by sloppysmusic
  • Agree 2

On 11/23/2019 at 1:30 AM, 1512marcel said:

How come the top of the leaderboards are crowed with none assist users. According to this post the top ranking players should all be using assists or am I missing something?

Assists are currently slower than No Assists, but on 1 lap pace way too close to No Assists too.

This is especially problematic, if we take into account how easy it is to make mistakes with No Assists, epsecially in rainy conditions.

If two players, one with Assists and one with No Assists, race against each other, the Assisted player has a huge advantage over long racing distances.

Why?

Because assists make the car practically foolproof, it is almost impossible to spin, lose control or crash the car with Assists enabled, meanwhile Assists will slow you down only marginally to the point that it is much more comfortable to not even bother to try No Assists.

For example, Australia, my fastest No Assist laptime ever was a 1:19:6, with Medium TC and ABS enabled my fastest laptime was a 1:20:5 and with only Medium TC enabled it was a 1:20:2.

Difference between these 3 laptimes?

I had to sweat real hard to do a 1:19:6 with No Assists, on average i can do a 1:20:4 - 1:20:9 with No Assists if i run a more comfortable speed.

But here is the catch, my Assisted fastest laptimes were done in the very first tries, i did not even need to practice at all and was on the speed right away.

With Medium TC and ABS enabled i was easily able to consistently put the same laptimes over and over again with no effort, 1:20:5 - 1:20:9 on average.

Running only Medium TC without ABS was faster than Medium TC and ABS combined.

Assists should be slower by a much bigger margin as it makes the car too easy to control, else people who like to be comfortably fast will never make the switch to No Assists and those running No Assists will have to be literal robots to be as consistent as Assisted players.

Therein lies the biggest issue between Assists vs. No Assists.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Med TC is too fast on a dry track, it should be slower to see a real difference with no TC.

On wet track it works without problems.

Now why not have an option to apply "penalties" to players who use the assist.

Penalty for assits: Yes / ABS only / TC only / NO

It would be set to YES in the ranked lobbies, time trial and event.

Users would have the choice to apply in solo, unranked lobbies and leagues.

In this way everyone will play the game as he wishes.

Edited by Greg76110
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg76110 said:

Med TC is too fast on a dry track, it should be slower to see a real difference with no TC.

On wet track it works without problems.

Now why not have an option to apply "penalties" to players who use the assist.

Penalty for assits: Yes / ABS only / TC only / NO

It would be set to YES in the ranked lobbies, time trial and event.

Users would have the choice to apply in solo, unranked lobbies and leagues.

In this way everyone will play the game as he wishes.

What type of penalties do you reckon?

On 11/25/2019 at 1:57 PM, sloppysmusic said:

I agree that everyone should be able to 'play' the game but that's different from being able to 'compete'. When playing with friends the organizer should be able to set individual driver boosts or handicaps as they choose, but let assists actually be assists not boosts. Totally unfair to allow people using them to be consistently faster than those without them. 

I do not agree with you. To be able to "compete" against different skill levels in a group you allow the lesser gods to use assists, because they will be able to "compete" as well. That is if the level of each player is clear to the organiser. As stated, this worked well in our group. Online you're able to organise a race without assists or with some of them allowed or am I mistaken?

This remains a difficult matter because there are many opinions to take into consideration and I don't believe we are going to answer it here (but we can discuss it). I don't consider assists as boosts, they don't make you faster; they help you to be more consistent and eventually make you faster ones you let go of them.

• Agree 1