Sign in to follow this  

Xbox live gold to be offered free to windows 10 customers on pc.....

After reading a recent article, regarding xbox live, on console and pc, I have discovered that in the pipeline, Microsoft are to offer free "xbox live gold" to users who will be using the new windows 10 operating system on pc. (just google xbox live there should be a news article near the top of the page). It goes without saying that it would anger console users, as they have to pay for their subscriptions, and naturally the question harnessed would be, "why should pc users get this for free, when I/we pay for our gold subscriptions on xbox?" Feel free to read the article and air your views on this topic.

D4ZZL4R said:
After reading a recent article, regarding xbox live, on console and pc, I have discovered that in the pipeline, Microsoft are to offer free "xbox live gold" to users who will be using the new windows 10 operating system on pc. (just google xbox live there should be a news article near the top of the page). It goes without saying that it would anger console users, as they have to pay for their subscriptions, and naturally the question harnessed would be, "why should pc users get this for free, when I/we pay for our gold subscriptions on xbox?" Feel free to read the article and air your views on this topic.
Because PC is an open platform, you pay on closed platforms as they have full control over it. If you don't like it, buy a PC, they tried this years ago with GFWL but nobody on PC paid for it, as they had no right to charge on a open platform, so it was free. Online console gaming has costed money ever since the first Xbox. Console gamers didn't have a choice so excepted it, but on PC if games use say Steamworks, it doesn't cost anything, so M$ wouldn't have a hope in hell trying to charge PC gamers to play online, it's rather simple....

Why not just post this in the game thread? Personally I want M$ to leave PC gaming alone, as everything they do is awful, like GFWL. I like my Xbox One, but it's a very different platform compared to PC.

Edit: I'm not sure why you're asking this now, as PC had GFWL for years (which was awful) and that was free.

Hughesy said:
D4ZZL4R said:
Because PC is an open platform, you pay on closed platforms as they have full control over it. If you don't like it, buy a PC, they tried this years ago with GFWL but nobody on PC paid for it, as they had no right to charge on a open platform, so it was free. Online console gaming has costed money ever since the first Xbox. Console gamers didn't have a choice so excepted it, but on PC if games use say Steamworks, it doesn't cost anything, so M$ wouldn't have a hope in hell trying to charge PC gamers to play online, it's rather simple....

Why not just post this in the game thread? Personally I want M$ to leave PC gaming alone, as everything they do is awful, like GFWL. I like my Xbox One, but it's a very different platform compared to PC.

Edit: I'm not sure why you're asking this now, as PC had GFWL for years (which was awful) and that was free.

Because it is my "choice" to raise it, because I am not controlled by another persons view! because there are millions of xbox live customers out there, "paying" , and now Microsoft now decide to integrate xbox live free to pc users, when xbox paying customers, put their hands in their pockets for the same service on console, that is why!

Where did I say you couldn't express your view?

Like I said PC is an open platform that Microsoft don't control. And like I said PC had "Xbox Live" for years called GFWL, and it was free, so why is it only now a problem? You choose to play on a closed platform, which X company has complete control over, if it's such a big deal play on a open platform.

If they tried to force PC gamers to pay, then nobody would use it, and just play games that use platforms like Steam or Origin. All that Microsoft are doing is relaunching GFWL, which is a form of DRM. Again Microsoft did this for years already, which was free and integrated with Xbox 360, so I'm not sure why only now this has shocked you.

You're the one that asked the question, I gave you an answer, if you didn't want one then why ask? It's rather simple, unlike Xbox One, Microsoft don't own PC as a platform, so don't have full control over it. They know full well that people on PC wouldn't except it if they tried to charge, as they already tried that.

Console players have no choice, if they want to play online they have to pay (I myself have Xbox Live Gold) but on PC there's many different options for players. Games played using Steam, Origin, Uplay and so on are all free, if M$ went ahead and charged, nobody would pay and just play using other platforms, as I've already said a few times.

For me, I've spent a lot of money on my PC (about 8x as much as an X1), and I've bought my copy of Windows, so why would I have to pay for it? 

I also have an Xbox One, and I usually buy 12 months of Gold at a time, does it bother me that PC users get it free? Not really, mainly because a PC can cost a lot more to start with compared to a console. Plus with having both I could make use of both.

@RevolvingPrawn I'd buy a pc but I don't have a clue how to use one. Way to much go do on it and it hurts my brain haha

@RevolvingPrawn I'd buy a pc but I don't have a clue how to use one. Way to much go do on it and it hurts my brain haha
Anyone can play games on PC these days. You can buy pre built systems (not named brands like Alienware and so on as they charge way too much) or get someone to build one for you, then just use Nvidia experience which will optimize your game settings for you, so you never have to do anything but click a button. If my brother can play games on PC, anyone can lol. It's no harder than playing on consoles these days thanks to programs like that, but this is off topic so I'll shut up.

Hughesy said:
Anyone can play games on PC these days. You can buy pre built systems (not named brands like Alienware and so on as they charge way too much) or get someone to build one for you, then just use Nvidia experience which will optimize your game settings for you, so you never have to do anything but click a button. If my brother can play games on PC, anyone can lol. It's no harder than playing on consoles these days thanks to programs like that, but this is off topic so I'll shut up.

Hughesy said:
True, pre built systems can be brought, both console and pc, both cost money, in the same way, on console you pay for gold, on pc it is being offered for free. This is an off topic discussion, feel free to air your views. Brain hurting comes from excessive gaming charger, harness the use of the power button.

I
I only play xbox on a weekend lol
...What are your views on pc users receiving free xbox live gold when you pay for you're live membership as a console user?

I can see why anybody would be wounded at this but for me I'm quite laid back about it. I'm used to paying what I pay now so I might aswell just get on with it lol

Fair enough. Have you looked at it from this angle. Paying customers line microsofts pockets, Microsoft then give out a free service, courtesy of paying customers, for others to game free (apparently). Then to get the free subscription, you have to buy windows 10/10 pc, to use it, making Microsoft even more money.

D4ZZL4R said:
Fair enough. Have you looked at it from this angle. Paying customers line microsofts pockets, Microsoft then give out a free service, courtesy of paying customers, for others to game free (apparently). Then to get the free subscription, you have to buy windows 10/10 pc, to use it, making Microsoft even more money.
It's not a service though, it's just a form of DRM (digital rights management). That's all it is, which Microsoft has being doing for years on PC. Read up on GFWL, it's actually the same as that. Nothing has changed, nothing has changed other than the name (Xbox app)  Do PC gamers pay to play games that use Steam, Origin or Uplay? No they don't, it's just a form of DRM to protect a game from piracy.

I'm not trying to be horrible, but I just don't get why you can't get your head around that. I pay for Xbox Live, and I accept it as its a closed platform that they own. I also play games on PC, becuase I love playing games. They don't own PC so can't force people to pay to game online. Nothing has changed, as with or without M$ trying to get back into PC gaming, you'd still be paying for Xbox Live. Were you ok with paying before this? Obviously otherwise you wouldn't pay for it, well GFWL has been around for many years, it's not a new thing. I get that you don't like it, but you seem to be glossing over the fact that one is a closed platform (that is owned by a company) and the other is open (not owned by anyone) 

Should online gaming cost money? No it shouldn't, but it's not my decision, the only way it would become free is if every console gamer refused it pay. That what happened on PC the last time M$ tried to introduce payed subs, nobody paid for it so they did a U turn. I won't say another word about it though, as it's a pointless discussion. So far you're the only person I've seen complaining about it, everyone else seems to get that PC is an open platform, and that it's not for Microsoft to say PC gamers should pay to play online.

Hughesy said:
D4ZZL4R said:
It's not a service though, it's just a form of DRM (digital rights management). That's all it is, which Microsoft has being doing for years on PC. Read up on GFWL, it's actually the same as that. Nothing has changed, nothing has changed other than the name (Xbox app)  Do PC gamers pay to play games that use Steam, Origin or Uplay? No they don't, it's just a form of DRM to protect a game from piracy.

I'm not trying to be horrible, but I just don't get why you can't get your head around that. I pay for Xbox Live, and I accept it as its a closed platform that they own. I also play games on PC, becuase I love playing games. They don't own PC so can't force people to pay to game online. Nothing has changed, as with or without M$ trying to get back into PC gaming, you'd still be paying for Xbox Live. Were you ok with paying before this? Obviously otherwise you wouldn't pay for it, well GFWL has been around for many years, it's not a new thing. I get that you don't like it, but you seem to be glossing over the fact that one is a closed platform (that is owned by a company) and the other is open (not owned by anyone) 

Should online gaming cost money? No it shouldn't, but it's not my decision, the only way it would become free is if every console gamer refused it pay. That what happened on PC the last time M$ tried to introduce payed subs, nobody paid for it so they did a U turn. I won't say another word about it though, as it's a pointless discussion. So far you're the only person I've seen complaining about it, everyone else seems to get that PC is an open platform, and that it's not for Microsoft to say PC gamers should pay to play online.

I see you're point. I haven't got an issue, you have misinterpreted me. I am trying to find out other peoples point of view, not that of my own. And in so doing revealing some truths on it , as you obviously see fit to do so also in contest against why opened this thread. Keep writing, peoples eyes need opening to the reality of what is going on in this area of the gaming world. Not all of us know what you know. That is the idea of this thread, to find out.

D4ZZL4R said:
Isn't Windows 10 a free upgrade from 7, 8 and 8.1?

AMS97KRR said:
D4ZZL4R said:
For the first year it is yes but after then it won't be.

AMS97KRR said:
D4ZZL4R said:
For the first year it is yes but after then it won't be
This much is true, as long as your system meets the requirements to run windows 10, then also, as long as your pc can run games you'll be o.k. If not, I'm guessing customers would have to buy a new windows 10 pc. They could upgrade a new windows 8.1, or refurbished windows 7 pc to windows 10, but if that has to be done by an engineer, again it will cost money. (Not everyone knows how to successfully upgrade/ or clean install a new version of windows and it's drivers).

So if I wanted to upgrade to windows 10 for free during the 1 year window, how would I check that my system meets requirements to successfully run it? Also how would I perform an upgrade/clean install from the previous windows version?

Well, I'd assume if your PC can run W7 or W8 then it'll run W10. And as far as I'm aware, W10 upgrade will be done through Windows Update and not the store like 8.1 was, should make it easier! If you wanted to do a clean install, then Windows will make .iso available, just like it currently is for the preview.

And yep, if you upgrade within the first year of release it's free. If you don't upgrade to it in year 1 then you will have to buy it from that point onwards.

Well, I'd assume if your PC can run W7 or W8 then it'll run W10. And as far as I'm aware, W10 upgrade will be done through Windows Update and not the store like 8.1 was, should make it easier! If you wanted to do a clean install, then Windows will make .iso available, just like it currently is for the preview.

And yep, if you upgrade within the first year of release it's free. If you don't upgrade to it in year 1 then you will have to buy it from that point onwards.
I agree as the tech hasn't moved that far forward from Win 7 till now.

That's good to know. People with computer knowledge as yourselves, would know the process, and method required to carry that out. Also I'm guessing if you wanted to upgrade a p.c , to be able to run a newer operating system, if for example it didn't meet the requirements to run it, would require technical knowledge, and the correct parts to ensure it is up to specification. What would you say the advantages , and disadvantages are between gaming on p.c, and gaming on console?

PC Gaming
Pros:
  • Modding
  • Better graphics
  • Cheaper games
  • More peripherals
  • No charge for online gaming
  • More choice of games
  • Faster loading times
  • You can upgrade individual parts of hardware when games get more demanding
  • If a part stops working you can replace just that part
Cons:
  • More expensive hardware
  • Compatibility issues/Sometimes games just won't run
  • Crap console ports
Console Gaming
Pros:
  • You put the disc in, the game just plays
  • Cheaper hardware
  • Portable, you can take a console to a mates house
  • Exclusives (depending on the console)
  • Usable as a DVD/Blu Ray player for your TV
  • Easier for couch gaming (no messing with a keyboard and mouse out of game)
Cons:
  • No modding
  • Games are a lot more expensive
  • Worse graphics (though they aren't awful or anything)
  • Pay to play online
  • Less peripherals
  • If the console stops working you have to send the whole thing for repair
  • Slower loading times
  • Slower to do things in general than a good spec PC
These are just off the top of my head right now, I'm pretty sure others could add more stuff in.
And don't take it as a bashing of console gaming, I have an Xbox One, and before that a 360, a PS2, a PS1, a Sega Megadrive (1 & 2), and a SNES. I like console gaming, but I find I play PC games just about every night, while I play my console maybe once or twice a month.

Operator1 said:

Console Gaming
Pros:
  • You put the disc in, the game just plays

Not so much anymore.

Well, I suppose there's updates/downloads and such, but when you put the game disc in you know it's gonna play. With a PC game, one day the game loads fine, the next it could just refuse to open or crash for no reason.