Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Xbox live gold to be offered free to windows 10 customers on pc.....

Recommended Posts


Operator1 said:

...
Console Gaming
Pros:
  • You put the disc in, the game just plays
...

Not so much anymore.

Well, I suppose there's updates/downloads and such, but when you put the game disc in you know it's gonna play. With a PC game, one day the game loads fine, the next it could just refuse to open or crash for no reason.

(...I wasn't nit-picking your remark - just commenting on the generally awful state of console game quality of late. I'm a long-time console gamer & it seems like the industry is determined to completely destroy all of the enjoyment & value in console gaming. They might drive us all to PC gaming, whether we want it or not.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Operator1 said:

Operator1 said:

...
Console Gaming
Pros:
  • You put the disc in, the game just plays
...

Not so much anymore.

Well, I suppose there's updates/downloads and such, but when you put the game disc in you know it's gonna play. With a PC game, one day the game loads fine, the next it could just refuse to open or crash for no reason.

(...I wasn't nit-picking your remark - just commenting on the generally awful state of console game quality of late. I'm a long-time console gamer & it seems like the industry is determined to completely destroy all of the enjoyment & value in console gaming. They might drive us all to PC gaming, whether we want it or not.)

Nah it's all good, you had a point bud. I didn't play Destiny for something like 2 months and when I went back to it I had to update my console, and then update the game before I could play lol, took about 30-40 mins and by then I wasn't sure I wanted to play anymore :p 

If you do get driven to PC gaming though, it isn't the Dark Side, you'll only really feel The Force when gaming on a powerful PC :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well really it's not just updates, you have to install games now, which takes a lot longer than installing a PC game. My brother knows nothing about PC game settings (as he's too lazy to learn) but he still thinks it's the best thing he did, not just becuase games run and look better, but because PC games are a lot better. Kinda funny that we pay less for more advanced versions of the same games.  

The best things for me isn't just better graphics, but higher resolution and framerates, also much better audio quality. You can also make the system your own, which is probably the best bit for me, as everyone has something different rather than all the same.
Another huge thing is steering wheels don't become useless with new hardware unlike consoles. You can also play old games and make them look better, unlike consoles where people get ripped off and made to pay for a re release with slightly better graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, higher res and FPS fall under the better graphics umbrella for me :p 

But yea, building your own gaming rig is an awesome experience, and you really can make your PC yours. It's like @Hughesy and I get similar performance from our PC's but they look completely different from one another. 

And very true on the rereleases lol. Tomb Raider and Metro Last Light redux are 2 that spring to mind. They made the console versions look better, but the original versions on PC still look better than any console version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RevolvingPrawn said:
...If you do get driven to PC gaming though, it isn't the Dark Side...

I was a PC gamer for years. I've assembled every desktop PC I've ever owned (never bought a pre-fab brand-name rig).

For me, it got tiresome & expensive juggling hardware components, updating software drivers, swapping config settings, & monitoring for vulnerabilities - all just to play games.

It also annoyed me when system changes required to accommodate one game would be incompatible with other games & applications.

It got to the point where the amount of time & money spent on maintenance & troubleshooting for PC gaming reached a disproportionately large percentage of my actual gaming time & game purchases. PC gaming required more "work" than I was willing to slog through just to play games.

Plus, I really hated the fact that when a game's hardware or software conflicts affected my computer as a whole, all of my computing abilities (e-mail, work, 
internet browsing, online shopping, etc.) were compromised until I could fully recover/restore the box. Too many eggs in one basket.

I enjoy the relative ease & affordability of console gaming (although the industry is rapidly choking off those advantages lately). I've got no "hate" at all towards PC gaming - it's just not for me anymore (the cons just outweighed the pros for my personal preferences).

To each their own. 
Platform debates are pointless. Ultimately, we're all gamers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Although my PC was made by someone else I did choose the components that are inside it so there are people out there that will take that hassle away for you. I only got somebody else to do it because my disability prevents me from being able to do it myself but it was still just as satisfying seeing the results of the choices I made. As my PC handles pretty much anything I can throw at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've seen some games on pc , and console, e.g skyrim, on pc, I was blown away by the smooth gameplay, and incredibly detailed graphics, that were awesome. On consoled skyrim still played o.k, the graphics were good, but the console simply didn't seem as though it could  handle the game/data and kept freezing. I can see that p.c could be potentially better in the sense that it is far more flexible with what you can do to increase it's performance, and specifications continuously. Consoles seem to be limited as they are already manufactured and cannot be adjusted or upgraded. At the same time for people who like to game, consoles are far less in price, compared to the price a gaming tower/laptop. It will be interesting to see what the xbox one and ps4 are capable of, further down the line, when more games are developed, and the true gaming capabilities of these two consoles are brought to life, it's still early days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Operator1 said:

RevolvingPrawn said:
...If you do get driven to PC gaming though, it isn't the Dark Side...

I was a PC gamer for years. I've assembled every desktop PC I've ever owned (never bought a pre-fab brand-name rig).

For me, it got tiresome & expensive juggling hardware components, updating software drivers, swapping config settings, & monitoring for vulnerabilities - all just to play games.

It also annoyed me when system changes required to accommodate one game would be incompatible with other games & applications.

It got to the point where the amount of time & money spent on maintenance & troubleshooting for PC gaming reached a disproportionately large percentage of my actual gaming time & game purchases. PC gaming required more "work" than I was willing to slog through just to play games.

Plus, I really hated the fact that when a game's hardware or software conflicts affected my computer as a whole, all of my computing abilities (e-mail, work, internet browsing, online shopping, etc.) were compromised until I could fully recover/restore the box. Too many eggs in one basket.

I enjoy the relative ease & affordability of console gaming (although the industry is rapidly choking off those advantages lately). I've got no "hate" at all towards PC gaming - it's just not for me anymore (the cons just outweighed the pros for my personal preferences).

To each their own. Platform debates are pointless. Ultimately, we're all gamers.

Nobody said anyone should game on platform X over platfrom Z, just stating why they do. Both @RevolvingPrawn and I have Xbox Ones as well as PC's, although I also have a PS4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Like @Hughesy said, I wasn't saying anybody should choose one over the other :p It's all about personal preference and what works for whoever. I used to be all about console gaming until I built my PC, but I'd still always have whatever the latest console is because I still enjoy them as well as my PC :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like @Hughesy said, I wasn't saying anybody should choose one over the other :p It's all about personal preference and what works for whoever...

Of course. I agree. I know you weren't pushing any platform's agenda, and I did not intend to suggest that you were. I was only stating that just because I described my preference for console gaming doesn't mean that I was trying to instigate any platform debates. I only meant to illustrate that I've had enough personal exposure to PC gaming to speak from my own experience about why I choose one over the other. Apologies for any misunderstanding. I know it's a touchy subject for some, and it's easy to send & receive mixed messages.  o:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Of course. I agree. I know you weren't pushing any platform's agenda, and I did not intend to suggest that you were. I was only stating that just because I described my preference for console gaming doesn't mean that I was trying to instigate any platform debates. I only meant to illustrate that I've had enough personal exposure to PC gaming to speak from my own experience about why I choose one over the other. Apologies for any misunderstanding. I know it's a touchy subject for some, and it's easy to send & receive mixed messages.  o:)

The idea of this discussion, is that everyone gets their say, so no one is right, and no one is wrong, were all individual, it good to have a collective amount of different views. Sometimes things get misinterpreted, one persons understanding, might be different to the other right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The thing with PC gaming now is it's very similar to playing on a console. Programs like Nvidia Experiance optimize setting for you, and Steam Big Picture mode means you don't have to touch a keyboard & mouse. I play all my games with a wireless controller (and soon my Xbox One controller once the wireless adapter is released) and use big picture mode. You can even shutdown or put the PC in sleep using big picture mode. So now my PC is like gaming on my Xbox One, but with all the benefits of using a powerful PC. Not related to the subject, and just to be clear, I'm not pushing my view on anyone ;)

Its not like 10-15 years ago when you needed to be a PC wiz to get games to work, it's why so many have jumped from consoles to PC @RevolvingPrawn included. I still love my consoles as I just love playing games, but it's not having something I have full control over, and to the point of the thread, not having to pay for online gaming due to it being an open platform that no company owns :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
The thing with PC gaming now is it's very similar to playing on a console. Programs like Nvidia Experiance optimize setting for you, and Steam Big Picture mode means you don't have to touch a keyboard & mouse. I play all my games with a wireless controller (and soon my Xbox One controller once the wireless adapter is released) and use big picture mode. You can even shutdown or put the PC in sleep using big picture mode. So now my PC is like gaming on my Xbox One, but with all the benefits of using a powerful PC. Not related to the subject, and just to be clear, I'm not pushing my view on anyone ;)

Its not like 10-15 years ago when you needed to be a PC wiz to get games to work, it's why so many have jumped from consoles to PC @RevolvingPrawn included. I still love my consoles as I just love playing games, but it's not having something I have full control over, and to the point of the thread, not having to pay for online gaming due to it being an open platform that no company owns :)

So pc is far more flexible, without restrictions. Also it is more user friendly now days, to operate and play on a gaming spec pc. And playing games costs less due to no subscription fees, and lower prices for titles on pc compared to console. Would you say pc games would be more likely to be modified, than games on console? There has to be a reason that on console there is a higher price tag for games titles, and a reason for paid subscription. Would you say that both pc and console are as secure and safe to game on, or are there flaws in either one of the two platforms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×