Sign in to follow this  

How to make 'DiRT Rally 2.0' better by making 'DiRT Rally 3'

I know that it might be much too early for this because currently Codemasters are on their way to Season 2 and maybe we will even receive Season 3. Some people talk about Season 4! But in my opinion, Codies have got to make new game. 'DiRT Rally 3'. You know, sometimes it is better to start again, do the same thing from the very beginning. Besides, is there anyone who wouldn't like to see 'DiRT Rally 3' in the future? So I made some plan for it. It took me some time. So, here we go.

RALLY TEAMS

Rally teams are important element of this kind of competition. In reality you choose which team you want to race for. And as you are in particular team (for instance Subaru WRT or Citroen Total World Rally Team), you compete in vehicles, which team is able to offer you.

REAL CURRENCY

In Career mode, rewards are based mainly on money. So maybe it would be good idea to see euro, dolar, etc. like it was in 'Colin McRae DiRT' and 'Colin McRae DiRT 2'?

STAGES & LOCATIONS

'DiRT Rally' and 'DiRT Rally 2.0' have got the same problem with stages and the amount of locations. When it comes to the second one, I would like to say that it would be good if we had got more locations (at least 10) but from the beginning, not with DLC. There is one more problem with locations. DR 2.0 says 'RALLY AROUND THE GLOBE'. But what rally around the globe if there are 2 missing continents, Africa (Kenya) and Asia (Japan, and how about China?)? Stages have got a problem with variety. B versions (reversed) and part of long stages again. It is seen as clear as day. I also would like to see more big jumps (like the one in Monaro, Australia). Colin McRae used to accelerate on jumps and fly high. And the last thing is the length. How about stages, which are at least 20 km long (it hasn't got to be many of them)?

TRACK DEGRADATION

Track degradation is brand new feature. We all know that its purpose is to add more realism. But I checked that and in my opinion something is wrong with that, especially when it comes to making the game more realistic by adding something like that. Here is why.

• Every stage of degradation is EXACTLY the same.
  • The way the track degrades depends on car weight (notice that there can be even 560 kg difference between 2 different cars for example!).

Furthermore, the track degrades differently when your wheel (or wheels!) hasn't got a tyre or it is just punctured. There are many dependences.

DAMAGE MODEL

I think that it needs to be improved. It was better in 'DiRT 3' and older games. Tyres damage could also be better. And the last thing, which could be damaged are drivers. Yes, exactly! Drivers are not indestructible. Here I don't mean I would like to see blood and broken bones but rather difficulties with driving after bigger accident.

That is everything. I hope you will like this idea. I wish you wrote comments, what you think about it and also add your ideas. We must work together.

Cheers,

Filip

• Disagree 1

some suggestions are really good, such as larger stages, and more realism.
But racing games but realistic or racing simulators as we heard talk today, is a very small niche compared to arcades racing games, so I agree with you to create a new dirt rally, but for me would be a definite and would work as is the iracing, since it is the only way to support a live simulator, there is a kind of service like iracing, of course I do not agree to the monthly fee format but I think it could be prepaid. Example: the player buys an engine and this engine will have a durability based on hours played, getting equivalent to a monthly fee, unlike Iracing the game would be free, you would only have to download the game and buy the engine, and all money raised would be to maintain the servers, and new stages or cars that are added over time, and also a part goes to award the official championships.
Always using the community as a north, always abusing democracy, we live the era of fast information, and this should always be used for a development of a simulator.

Posted (edited)

The reason games don't use "real" currency is so they can easily release the game everywhere using the same money system.  Like $600,000, £600,000 and ¥600,000 are VASTLY different amounts of money and would require the game to work on multiple currency calculations.

I just want more RX cars and tracks.

Edited by mwoodski
  • Agree 1

DR2 should be improved and provided with new content for many years rather than making a DR3. No desirable enhancement mentioned so far would require the game to be re-written from scratch.

• Agree 2

On 6/23/2019 at 10:53 PM, kombajnkoszoncy said:

TRACK DEGRADATION

Track degradation is brand new feature. We all know that its purpose is to add more realism. But I checked that and in my opinion something is wrong with that, especially when it comes to making the game more realistic by adding something like that. Here is why.

• Every stage of degradation is EXACTLY the same.
  • The way the track degrades depends on car weight (notice that there can be even 560 kg difference between 2 different cars for example!).

Furthermore, the track degrades differently when your wheel (or wheels!) hasn't got a tyre or it is just punctured. There are many dependences.

The effort to simulate track degradation is probably much to high compared to its benefits. For me modeling track degradation with three levels is totally fine.

21 hours ago, radioactix said:

The effort to simulate track degradation is probably much to high compared to its benefits. For me modeling track degradation with three levels is totally fine.

they actually said in the dev diary videos that it was gradual. so there's a difference between being 147th and 148th. whether it's noticeable or not is another question though.

I feel like there are a lot of things in the game that are more complicated than needed: AI, FFB, degradation, etc that don't even work that well and the game would have been better if they'd done them simply and spent more resources on more unique km per location, weather and times of day.

Posted (edited)

To be frank, the community has to be even more active, you see, today there are basically three types of racing games on the market, "arcades, sincade, and simulators", Dirt Rally 2.0 is in fact a sincade, and the Dirt community is floating between simulator, sync, and arcade. The Sincade and Simulator is more competitive, but still the symphony fans prefer a single player mode, already on the side of the simulator the single player mode is totally discarded, focusing on online and local multiplayer and "championship organizations ".
When I say that the community has to be more active, it is because how much more clear is the niche, but specific will be the game.
I believe, that Codemaster by now will split the Dirt franchise in two, (the titles only with the name Dirt, ex: Dirt 5, will be totally arcade, and titles that carry the name Dirt Rally, ex: Dirt Rally 2.0, will be but for the sincade side and simulator).
I sincerely prefer simulator, and I want to see more and more championships, and a system of machmaking with rankeamento, as it is in Iracing. But for this to happen the community has to be interested, and indeed embrace the cause, because the only way to maintain a game that is flown to simulation and that keeps alive and working fully, is to make it a service, (whether monthly, or by purchasing content). I say this because from year to year, basically what changes in official FIA championships, it's just the cars when you have a new Homologation, so a Rally Simulator, "Dirt Rally" as a service, is the only way to have a simulator of quality always evolving and updated, with new cars, and stages.
So the community has to define itself clearly, and is willing to always investing some money, as it is in Iracing. Unfortunately it is not what I have come to realize, a few days ago, started to operate the clubs, and with totally random championships, with no definition, with a short window of participation, and this left me particularly frustrated because I realized that the majority of the community does not think about participating in the championship, or has no idea how the championship works.
Finally the niche Virtural Rally Simulator as a service remained vacant in the simulator world market, and with a community of widowhood between RBR and its plugins, GRally dreamers, mods adapted for rfactor, Corsican assetto, dirt undecided, among others , we continue searching for something that is stamped on our faces but by whim we do not want to see.

Edited by diogotilim