Sign in to follow this  

How to get better at Grid: Autosport.

Hello, my name is Gurrens. I'm mainly a fighting game and JRPG player who is trying to get better at Grid. I have little to no experience with racing games outside of Midnight Club:LA, Forza 4, Burnout and Lego Racer(N64). How do I go accomplishing that goal? Is there any lingo or terms I should get familiar with?

Hello Gurrens,

I think the best way to get better at any game is practice, practice and more practice.  I like to get a good feel for the cars first and work out which ones feel best for me, then I get to know the tracks.  Hope you enjoy !

Another tip for racing games is, start slow, use the brakes!. Use the practice time before every race to learn the track, get used to the car and as mentioned, practice, practice, practice.

Also go into free play and just run laps, starting slow and building up the speed.

Hope this helps.

Evilsmurf said:

Another tip for racing games is, start slow, use the brakes!.

There's a lot more on this at the links above, but for braking, especially in the more powerful cars, aim to do as much of your braking and accelerating in a straight line as you can. Braking or accelerating while you're steering destabilises the car and makes the car harder to control. Of course, the more experienced drivers can and do "trail brake" further into a corner to shave off those important tenths, but practice the basics first.

And don't forget your brake and accelerator aren't just on/off switches (especially if you're using a controller rather than a wheel+pedals). You need to apply both smoothly and gradually to avoid wheelspin and brake lock-ups, especially when you have ABS and TCS turned off. For braking, apply full pressure to start with and ease off so that you're at the right speed to take a corner just as you're starting to turn in; for acceleration, start accelerating as you hit the apex of the corner, and increase the pressure so you're at full throttle just as your wheels straighten up again. (Though again, with more experience, you'll learn where and how far you can bend those rules in any given car on any given corner.)

And don't be afraid to turn on manual gears, even though it's daunting at first (especially if you're using a controller). Apart from the extra control you gain through corners, it's just more fun, and I find a few laps of figuring out what gear I should be in for each corner actually helps me learn a track more quickly. And once learned, that sequence of numbers changes less than you might think whether you're driving a Mini or an F1 car round the same track.

Watch some videos on youtube how ppl driving.
You do not even need Grid videos, just look for track.
Its ok to watch real races onboard.
It helps to understand trajectory, braking, accelerating, its live example how it should be, reference to you driving.
Its a shame Grid A has not spectator mode like Grid 1.