Jump to content Jump to content

How many people actually play F1 games?

Just a random inquiry as the last time I checked the F1 2013 leaderboards, the last position was still under the 10,000 mark; compared to hundreds of thousands of players playing the big AAA titles. I'm just curious what the actual number of registered players is, and if such a low player base contributes to the efforts put forth into the F1 titles year after year. Surely Codemasters can't be making quite a bit of money from the F1 games.

Don't forget a lot of people don't play online due to their internet speed, personal preference for offline gameplay (career mainly) or due to the rammers you frequently encounter (a league is an option, but I personally don't have the time).

For me personally, F1 2013 and 2014 are a failure. Even though 2013 features classic content, the tyre degradation is really bad for me. even in a 25% race distance I need to stop 2 laps earlier then AI. Meaning I usually need an extra stop or need to drive both stints with my tyres going off the cliff in the last 2 laps. And that is with a car that's supposed to be kind on it's tyres (Lotus). I would expect the tyre deg to at least match the AI. F1 2014 with all the stripped content is also a step back, plus the issue with driver assists (TC and steering assist that always seem to be on no matter that option I choose).

So I prefer to drive F1 2012 if I fancy a race. With the AI mod on racedepartment.com it's really enjoyable (give or take a few bugs I tend to ignore).

• 3 months later...
I would say quite a lot people play f1 games. If you look at youtube, you can see tons of videos, but i think in last 3-4 years popularity has decreased. If you look all f1 games, even old grand prix games: grand prix legends, grand prix 3, grand prix 4 are still alive and mods are coming out. The same is for f1 challenge 99 02. There is all seasons multilanguage mod 1950-2015 (f1 challenge vb) with race by race livery
http://valpaso75.xoom.it/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXleWaDEntk

I don't really play online races but do play time trail. Just shame your limited to how high you can get due to poor setup working. Ie 11-11. Hope new one has more in depth setup. Ideally setup should be different for every race. No more loading same setup for each race as temperature change should make you need to use practice sessions.
Id say only F1 fans would play the game. Any other racing game fans might go with Forza or Need for Speed. 

Off topic, that camera view in the video above is too far back. The drivers eyes sit forward of the side protection. Therefore he wouldn't be able to see it. 
You'd be wrong. Me and two of my friends started with with 2012 when none of us had ever watched a full F1 race lol. F1 is a difficult sport to watch in the US, due to almost all the races being at some unreasonable time of night. My one friend hasn't even watched highlights before, has no interest in F1, but still played lol Nowadays, I don't really watch racing anymore, as NASCAR has gone to **** and F1 is boring most of the time, with clear winners at the beginning of the season.

But even though I have officially quit watching NASCAR, I desperately want a good NASCAR game, and although I have little interest in watching F1, I played 2012 a ton and played 2014 for a while as well. Was really looking forward to F1 2015, but then I found out there is no career mode.

So no, it's definitely not only F1 fans. Some people just like to race. No matter the car type.
Id say only F1 fans would play the game. Any other racing game fans might go with Forza or Need for Speed. 

Off topic, that camera view in the video above is too far back. The drivers eyes sit forward of the side protection. Therefore he wouldn't be able to see it. 

So no, it's definitely not only F1 fans. Some people just like to race. No matter the car type.
Very good point and to add to that  I think some people may play these games because codemasters  F1 games  offer more of a racing experience than other games. I hate how games like forza and the vast majority of other  racing games out there just throw you in quick little 3 lap races which just encourage bad driving and cut out all of the strategy involved in racing.  

The codemasters F1 games may not be perfect but they at least allow you to experience strategy. Tyre wear, fuel consumption, pit stops, long races, changing weather etc.  I am  a fan of F1 but I wish there were more racing games out there that gave you this experience instead of throwing you in a different car every 5 minutes so you can run some more pointless 3 lap races. 

I think that's the difference with F1 games compared to generic racing games. I love the strategy aspect and I want Codemasters to implement more of it. 
I'm not a fan of "lift and Coast", tyre and fuel saving, but if the real drivers do it, then I want to do it in game. 
Yes, I had gotten quite good at that in NASCAR games. I used less fuel than anyone I raced, while still running lap times on par or better lol. The pit strategy aspect is even greater in nascar games. And imo, not enough games go sim enough these days. Pit stops can make a game far more interesting.