Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyre wear scaling in qualifying needs to be removed

I don't know why this was changed this year but it's a major issue. On 25% distance; your tyre wear gets scaled in qualy and a single flying lap can give up to nearly 30% tyre wear because of the "extra" out and in lap. This makes the soft compound useless on certain tracks.

The issue is even bigger with F2 where you get only one set of softs for a 30 minute session. You're meant to do multiple laps on that one set but with the scaling it's impossible. You have 30 minutes for what is essentially one shot qualifying.

I hope you can revert this to the way it was in previous games, it was much better that way.

16 hours ago, Mik2232 said:

Ive had this too on Xbox One X,  its seriously crazy how something like this got through as a design choice, that and the choice not to allow weather settings in leagues just seems weird

Yeah I wonder what the reasoning behind it was. I almost can't imagine it was intentional with all the knock-on effects on qualifying/ strategies. Let's hope they can change it with a patch.

Why do indefensible changes like this always sneak into each year's game somehow? Please fix this asap.

Just jumped on and decided to do the F2 2018 championship while I wait for the performance patch. Bad idea. Set the race lengths at 25% for both and got round to the sprint race to notice that due to the scaling muck up in practice and qualifying I had no tyres less than 80% wear and would not be able to even complete 4 laps of the sprint race. This needs fixing as soon as possible it’s making the game unplayable for those who aren’t doing 100% races.

Ive made a few posts about this anomaly. It's indefensible. Just watched a streamer do half length China. Qualified for q3 with softs. At race start in strategy section he basically HAD to pit after just 3 laps for mediums. That would equate to 6 laps in full length race which is plainly ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Ive made a few posts about this anomaly. It's indefensible. Just watched a streamer do half length China. Qualified for q3 with softs. At race start in strategy section he basically HAD to pit after just 3 laps for mediums. That would equate to 6 laps in full length race which is plainly ridiculous. 

Part of the problem is the ai don’t do any tire saving so you’ve got to push the tires harder than they would in real life.  If you watch the first stint on Softs in real life they’re doing laps almost 10 seconds slower than what they did in q3...this is so they can stretch the Softs long enough to do a one stop.  The ai just do a two stop and the majority get stuck behind the midfield runners that miss q3 and start on mediums and one stop to the end

36 minutes ago, jrod22145 said:

Part of the problem is the ai don’t do any tire saving so you’ve got to push the tires harder than they would in real life.  If you watch the first stint on Softs in real life they’re doing laps almost 10 seconds slower than what they did in q3...this is so they can stretch the Softs long enough to do a one stop.  The ai just do a two stop and the majority get stuck behind the midfield runners that miss q3 and start on mediums and one stop to the end

Absolutely right man. During the stream i watched the guy pitted for mediums after 3 laps, came out 20th and within 3 or 4 laps was 10th as the midfield were just so painfully slow, hardly racing at all. It's like they have brainless strategies that can't be changed during the race. I reckon the ai have the potential to be real good this year but this tire issue is really holding them back and making the middle part of the race bizarre as everyone limps around conserving tires. I usually race full distance just because of this issue but would love to do shorter races now and then without races becoming silly.. 

On 6/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, peanutt2000 said:

Isn’t tire saving during race part of F1 though?

issue is that its not notmal to start on 30% worn tyres around tracks like china or france, to have multiple strategies in 50% races we need the starting tyres not be half worn by the start already 

This is a definite must as sadly Codies have got it all wrong here. The point of scaling in the game is so that the tyres wear at a rate in RACE so that a realistic strategy is used when running a RACE length of less than 100%. Here is a post in another thread I posted to show what I mean:

OK so Codies you are still not getting the tyre wear scaling. When it is a 25% or 50% race, don't scale the tyre wear for practice and qualifying. 1 lap in practice or qualy in any race length option equates to 1 lap. You're not wearing the tyre x4 or x2 in these sessions compared to a 100% race when you've selected a 25% or 50% race as these are TIMED sessions not DISTANCE restricted like the race. Let me show you the issue in numbers as an example:

100% vs 50% races @ Brazil when doing 5 laps +1 out and 1 in lap (full tyre life outside brackets and life after laps completed in brackets plus the % tyre life remaining):

100%:

Hard = 49 (42 85.71%) laps, Medium = 38 (31 81.58%) laps and Soft = 31 (24 77.42%) laps

50%:

Current logic: you halve tyre life for practice and qualifying and then wear the tyre as 1 lap = 1 lap so Hard = 24 (17 70.83%) laps, Medium = 19 (12 63.16%) laps and Soft = 16 (9 56.25%) laps - big difference in final tyre life % when really these should match no matter what length of race has been selected!!

Correct logic: as 1 lap in P or Q is 1 lap no matter what (this is just a timed session not distance restricted), tyre life should NOT be halved for these sessions and left as per 100% races and only when it comes to the race should the final lives of the tyres be halved then worn 1 lap = 1 lap in the race.

So taking from the 100% figures: Hard = 49 (42 85.71%) laps - divide by 2 for 50% race should then = 24 (20.5 85.42%)

Medium= 38 (31 81.58%) laps divide by 2 for 50% race = 19 (15.5 81.58%)

Soft = 31 (24 77.42%) laps divide by 2 for 50% race = 16 (12.5 78.13%)

Do this and you'll have the correct scaling come the race and those using worn tyres (top 10) won't have to pit so early, won't be disadvantaged compared to those outside top 10 on fresh tyres and low and behold would be realistic scaling!!!!

CM needs to turn off wear scaling of components during p and q as well, it’s pretty stupid if you do sprint races that the car wears completely down during p and q. 

@Faya Could you add a option to turn of tyre wear, for those who dont understand tyre management please.

Thankyou

12 minutes ago, AScott said:

@Faya Could you correct the tyre wear when not doing 100% races, for those who want realistic starting wear please.

Thankyou

Corrected for you! You are welcome 😀👍

@martbloke For those who want realistic ?

Whats realistic about how 90% of people that play F1 2019 ?

Realistic / Realism, its not sweetie shop, you cant pick & choose what suits.

8 minutes ago, AScott said:

Corrected for you! You are welcome 😀👍

Haha think I caught 1 🎣

Anyways back on track away from the immaturity, this issue definitely needs looking at and fixing. I think I saw 1 of Aarava's videos showing stupid early pits by the AI and how easy he was catching them and overtaking from the start - likely due to massive wear in Qualy. Once the pit stops were done, he was on pace with them and had some good racing. 

Tyre wear scaling during practice and quali is definitely wrong. This has also discussed during beta. I‘m wondering why we didn’t got any reply from Codemasters since weeks. 

Not an issue for me in 50% races. Odd 50% is ok but 25% isn’t.

if you have an issue you know it should be posted in the bug reporting forum.

57 minutes ago, Metzgerov said:

Not an issue for me in 50% races. Odd 50% is ok but 25% isn’t.

if you have an issue you know it should be posted in the bug reporting forum.

In practice and qualy, is your tyre life half of what a 100% tyre life is? If the answer is yes (which I know it is) then tyre wear for you is also incorrect. You WILL start the race with more wear than what you should be starting it with.

This was an issue before, surprised it made it though.

What astonishes me is the fact that in F1 2018 this problem has already been resolved.

How can it be that certain "features" were not taken over to f1 19?

8 hours ago, TJH said:

What astonishes me is the fact that in F1 2018 this problem has already been resolved.

How can it be that certain "features" were not taken over to f1 19?

I think that for some reason this was actually a design choise rather than a bug, probably to make tyre wear consistent across all sessions. I can sort of understand the reasoning for 50% races but it just doesn't work for 25% and F2. 

19 hours ago, martbloke said:

In practice and qualy, is your tyre life half of what a 100% tyre life is? If the answer is yes (which I know it is) then tyre wear for you is also incorrect. You WILL start the race with more wear than what you should be starting it with.

umm no my tyres (soft) usually have 12% wear after a qualy run. Based on the total life- qualy laps its accurate for 50% races.

So your wrong in that respect.