Something majorly wrong with the gearing/Engine in 2019 Cars (SOUND)

13 hours ago, LFSwicked said:

I highly, highly doubt "the game" sounds more accurate than real onboard audio when sitting inside the cockpit. 

If that's the case then my road car sounds more aggressive than an F1 car lol.   

Is that so? And I assume you drive a 1.6 litre V6 with an MGU-H attached to it which dulls much of the sound?

7 hours ago, ex250 said:

What makes you say this? 

Drive at Baku straight with DRS and slipstream and you‘ll hit the limiter. 

I think the gears are ok. I looked at Bottas Pole Lap at Baku and the 8th gear is also very long in reality. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

Drive at Baku straight with DRS and slipstream and you‘ll hit the limiter. 

I think the gears are ok. I looked at Bottas Pole Lap at Baku and the 8th gear is also very long in reality. 

It is very long indeed, but not as long as in the game.

Gearing ratio ingame is wrong and even longer than irl and it doesn't help that the sound of the engine is also way too low revving for what rpm it supposedly is showing on the dashboard.

Here are two pictures to show the exact same speed (328kmh) at different rpms, 11758 rpm irl and 11244 rpm ingame to reach 328 kmh:

Screenshot_20190627-105658_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20190627-110202_YouTube.jpg

This is a whopping net difference of around 500 rpm and very likely one of the causes of the problem.

CM please fix it.

@Faya

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Media added, spelling error, format
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

This issue was raised numerous times in the Beta but seems to be unchanged. The gear ratios don't seem to match the audio level. So you need to change gear earlier. Also the 8th gear is too long, and again this was raised in the beta forum over a month ago

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

The gears are probably correct but someone posted a sound overlaid YT video of a lap by Leclerc at Bahrain (?) and it was evident that the CM version of the car sounds 'lazy'. It's massive; the audio input to changing gear and driving the car is very important to a) 'feel' and b) immersion.

This was picked up on previously but the placeholder audio wasn't helpful. This needs fixing.

• Like 3

The engine noise and rpm does seem related to the fact the lower gears are needing shifted earlier than before too. The gearing and engine rpm noise needs looked at asap as almost everyone on my friends list with the game is also complaining to about the gearing and engine rpm noise 

Posted (edited)

/Delete

Edited by Jaketa
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jaketa said:

Please use the the biggest threads to gain more attention of Codemasters. It doesn't make sense to open 100 Threads where everybody is complaining about this issue. We need one big Thread, than the chance is highter to get more attention:

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/39190-petition-to-make-the-2019-engines-sound-louder-more-rpm/

Hopefully Faya can merge these threads.

• Agree 1

I wouldnt mind if the engines sound less identical to reallife. The only thing i wan is not getting HEADACHE from gaming because the whistle sound of some engines kills my ears.

• Disagree 2

Posted (edited)

Ive missed so many gear changes because top rev noise sounds almost the same to medium revs etc. Also the fact that gears 2-3-4-5 are about a 1sec too quick to reach top rpm these gear ratios need lengthened a bit on the bottom end. 

The engines need to be made to sound 'racier' especially the custom car

On a side note: has anyone had a problem with the new font in the current gear hud as it has made the number 1 look like the number 2 in your peripheral vision. Its fine directly looking at it but when driving and using peripheral vision to keep note gear the shape of the 1 in the slightly blurred peripheral vision makes it look like a 2, I've knocked it into neutral a few times because of this. Maybe just me

Edited by Mik2232
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Helps if you tag her @Faya

Not sure if it will work as I didn't get the tag colouring first time?

Edited by steviejay69

15 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I made a long and critical post about this during the beta. Very substandard engine. Basically I said you get no feeling at all being sat in front of one of the most powerful engines in the planet when you should be excited as hell with adrenaline throufh the roof! 

If the people in charge of f1 wanted you to get excited they would have brought back v10s,,or even stayed with the v8s. Instead they decided to save fuel and plese Al Gore.

but seriously the sound in the game is the helmet sound complete with wind noise. Perhaps they could include an option for a more direct microphone sound for those who prefer it.

It worked, @steviejay69 🙂

Hi all! I have merged the threads together. 

Please remember to check to see if the forum already has a thread on an issue and do not create duplicate threads on the same issue. 

I will be forwarding your comments/feedback to the team. Thanks all! 

• Thanks 6

The main thread was a petition over the sound issue but its been merged into the gearing thread, which may or may not be related. 

Either way the sound of the 2019 cars and custom cars seems to be the biggest issue this year 

The Ferrari engine turbo high pitch sound is AWSOME and hopefully CM add some of that to the Renault and the rest of the PUs. 

The actual engine note is too low pitched for sure, his needs fixing as well. 

Regarding gearing, I agree, 8th gear is too long, probably 7th as well. 
This is very obvious in the Mercedes. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, KrazyLurt said:

The Ferrari engine turbo high pitch sound is AWSOME and hopefully CM add some of that to the Renault and the rest of the PUs. 

The actual engine note is too low pitched for sure, his needs fixing as well. 

Regarding gearing, I agree, 8th gear is too long, probably 7th as well. 
This is very obvious in the Mercedes. 

Yes the engine sound in general is awesome, the best we ever had especially the Ferrari. There is only some tweaks with the Rpm needed and the  we have the most realistic sound in all F1 games!

@Faya Thank you so much! 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Schwartzwelder said:

If the people in charge of f1 wanted you to get excited they would have brought back v10s,,or even stayed with the v8s. Instead they decided to save fuel and plese Al Gore.

but seriously the sound in the game is the helmet sound complete with wind noise. Perhaps they could include an option for a more direct microphone sound for those who prefer it.

If the sound is supposed to be muffled (crippled) to mimic what a human would heaf INSIDE a helmet then the ambient sounds, crowd noises etc should be muffled also. Some people actually do like this muffled experience such as pcars which had both normal and muffled options. 

If the sound is supposed to mimic the helmet cam MICROPHONE then this is placed externally and should be much clearer. Problem is TV helmet cams use pretty low frequency range mics (small for convenience) and quality is not so important as the broadcast itself which has high quality sound. 

But... We are not watching TV.. We are racing whole races in the cockpit so the sound is the same the whole race. So the option for high quality full range sound as well as low quality muffled radio quality  (which we have now) should be available. 

Imagine a Star Wars space battle with realistic audio. There would be NONE as there is a vacuum in space! In Space Odyssey 2000 the space vacuum IS represented and it is weirdly but accurately represented by mostly loud breathing and a very muffled explosion. 

Or go back to the original Gran Turismo over 20 years ago which boasted a whole bunch of realistic engine sounds recorded professionally for each car, or GRID and more recently AC Comp which have great raw engine sounds despite driver still wearing a helmet. 

I would love the sound to be recorded in the cockpit but with a full range mic. We can muffle it to mimic a helmet cam later but then we'd have to mimic the visual gfx to match the audio with the visor having limited vision as well as flies and grime on the helmet (a depth of field nightmare for devs). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I must say the Renault Engine is nearly perfect. Also on the rpm it sounds like in real life. Only a tiny bit of more turbo whistle and a little bit higher rpm.

Ferrari need Most improvement and after that Mercedes and Honda. But Renault engine sounds very good and realistic.

Edited by Jaketa
  • Like 2

The real life Renault engine is louder more aggressive, especially in the lower revs, and quicker building revs less 'lazy' sounding that's the problem with all the in game 2019 cars 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jaketa said:

I must say the Renault Engine is nearly perfect. Also on the rpm it sounds like in real life. Only a tiny bit of more turbo whistle and a little bit higher rpm.

Ferrari need Most improvement and after that Mercedes and Honda. But Renault engine sounds very good and realistic.

Like with the rest of the cars, the engine sounds generally realistic, however, way less powerful. It sounds like it is 500-1000 rpm short. They also need to make the rising of the engine sound with the rpm and shifts faster, because as it currently is in the F1 2019 game, the engine sounds like it it was shifted to early with every shift.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, MrGhostO1O said:

Like with the rest of the cars, the engine sounds generally realistic, however, way less powerful. It sounds like it is 500-1000 rpm short. They also need to make the rising of the engine sound with the rpm and shifts faster, because as it currently is in the F1 2019 game, the engine sounds like it it was shifted to early with every shift.

THIS 

The feeling of driving the cars feels just a bit weird because of the sound, you can't really get it from a youtube video. There feels a disconnect between the speed and the revs, like what MrGhost010 said, it always sounds like it was shifted too early and the revs have gone sluggish, especially the 2019 custom car. I have even missed upshift due to thinking I wasn't near the limiter when it was on it!

It needs a more 'punchier' 'racier' rev noise 

To get it fixed more people will have to contact Codemasters and make the complaint known 

Edited by Mik2232
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Yep agree. The revs in all 2019 team cars and 2019 custom car need more verbosity as the revs increase, needs that more aggressive noise that the cars have when you watch the onboard as the revs climb. It makes the car feel sluggish with he revs the way they are now. They have almost got the sound perfect this year so credit to the team, but it just needs this final step to make it perfect 

Edited by Jajb
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is good that so many people here are complaining about that. It’s one of the most attending topics here. And they already read our feedback. So hopefully it will be fixed ASAP.

With the correct revs the sound will be epic. I really like the whistle of the Ferrari. After five years it’s correct.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have posted on this subject before, as far as the sound of the cars it depends on what you’re perspective is, do you want TV sound, a spectators sound, or what the driver would hear, if codemasters have done their jobs correctly the sound should be close to what the driver hears and if this is true, I doubt anyone on this forum is qualified to question its authenticity. As for the gear ratios and revs being shorter, I find this interesting. If any of you have driven the 2017 Ferrari in assetto corsa you will notice the revs and up shifts are completely different from F1 2017 or 18, seeing that assetto corsa is one of the most realistic sims and certainly the most realistic on console, I doubt they got it wrong. Remember the current v6 turbo hybrid does not rev as high as the v8 so I think what codemasters have done is to move forward to a more realistic model.