Something majorly wrong with the gearing/Engine in 2019 Cars (SOUND)

Posted (edited)

The 2019 cars seem to be in constant need of up changes, yes they are f1 cars but compared to last years game its almost instantaneous upshifts from 2-3-4-5 then you hit 7th/8th gear and hit the 'wall' and the revs vanish and the engine sounds quiet speed stalls almost.

This is becoming more widely reported now, this needs looked into.

Also the engine noise of the 2019 cars is terrible, so quiet and monotone, there is hardly any audible difference between engine noise and high rev engine noise so listening for revs to change gears is horrendous 

Edited by Jajb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

7th and 8th gears are too long (even at hotlpa ers and rich fuel mix we barely hit 11500 rpm at 8th gear), revs are out of sync to engine sound (sound at 12300 rpm should be audible at 11500 - 11800 rpm, feels as if all of the sound samples are at least around 500 increments of rpm out of sync to what they should be, engines sound needs to rev much higher) = makes the whole experience unenjoyable.

Hope CM fixes it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

Posted (edited)

Agree. It’s a major problem. The cars are sounding like 8k revs cars.

Also the aerodynamic is wrong. The cars are way to slow despite they are faster on the straights in real.

Edited by Jaketa
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The 2019 engines sound so monotone, they need more verbosity more rpm noise. All team cars are like this and the custom car is the weakest.

I was running round Monaco and it has a lot of lower rev corners at some points it was so quiet and whiney it was almost like a formula e car! I had to turn my surround sound up much louder too!

I do notice that when the cars are in 'max qualy mode' in qualifying during the game they sound a bit better, maybe they should make this engine noise setting the default for the cars 

Sound is one of our main connections to the car and gear changes and our immersion is hampered by this poor sound 

Edited by Jajb
  • Agree 5

Posted (edited)

Yeah I agree. The sound is really weak in 19' cars. It needs to be given more rpm sound and noise it sounds about 500-1000rpm down most of the time. Around some parts its like a vacuum cleaner 

I agree the car started to sound slightly better in 'quali max' mode, so this should prob be at least the default engine noise

Really need this looked at, kills the game for me and my friends, they've done great sound design this year just the engine needs that buff up 

@issueskid @davidjgurney can you help 

Edited by Mik2232
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The sounds in the game are nice but yeah it sounds like the cars are barely revving, even during a race in real life, when they aren't even hitting mid RPM lights, the engines are screaming, the game is lacking that scream. 

Plus the downshift on some of the classic cars sounds goofy as hell. The game is so good that it's sad when the sounds aren't up to par, it's the only thing hindering my enjoyment with the game. 

This is how aggressive the car should sound, especially in quali mode. 

Edited by LFSwicked
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

That sounds amazing and more like real life. In the 2019 game when the car is in 7th especially 8th gear it sounds horrible 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Mik2232 said:

That sounds amazing and more like real life. In the 2019 game when the car is in 7th especially 8th gear it sounds horrible 

The sound general is good and realistic, but as mentioned above its completly right that it sounds like to less rpm. The Ferrari sounds realistic when you stuck in one gear and still drive this gear to the maximum, but in that way the fuel goes away quicker. 

The best example is Ferrari. It sounds like a limited F1 engine with lower rpm. Very dissapointed about that. Hopefully there will be a Patch. Idk why such things happen when the sound in F1 2018 was already better in terms of rpm and stuff.

@issueskid  @davidjgurney

Edited by Jaketa
  • Like 2

More people in the community need to get vocal over this so we can get it changed 

• Agree 1

I've seen a ton of comments especially about the RPM, on YT, reddit and here of course. 

I think the audio they have in place is great, it just needs re-balancing. RPM progression, louder growling, AI volume toned down a little, fix the goofy up shifts on some classic cars etc. 

If they can sort these out then we're golden. I do feel like the sound is ruining the experience, because so far the game it self is fantastic imo.   

• Agree 2

Isn’t the sound based more on what it sounds like when your actually in the car and not like we’re used to on TV?

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Soupy1985 said:

Isn’t the sound based more on what it sounds like when your actually in the car and not like we’re used to on TV?

Even when it’s this way. The rpm sound is to low.

• Agree 4

18 minutes ago, Soupy1985 said:

I think that's the big problem. Everyone compares the ingame sound with the TV sound, but this can't be the real sound. Nobody knows how it's recorded and mixed and mastered afterwards. Also every speaker (like on TV) is an Equalizer.

4 minutes ago, Jaketa said:

Even when it’s this way. The rpm sound is to low.

Ok, that's a point Codemasters could solve. I don't understand why they don't give us an ingame equalizer for all this different parts (Wind, Turbo Whistle, Engine...). So everybody could mix his prefered sound and we wouldn't have the yearly discussion.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Soupy1985 said:

I highly, highly doubt "the game" sounds more accurate than real onboard audio when sitting inside the cockpit. 

If that's the case then my road car sounds more aggressive than an F1 car lol.   

• Haha 1

Yeah the game does not sound aggressive or high rpm as they should. The game barely gets to 8th gear now and when it does it sounds dead.

Compare that to last years game or real life and the engine sound is crazy higher rpm than 2019 game. The custom car is the weakest sound its really bad too.

• Agree 2

I made a long and critical post about this during the beta. Very substandard engine. Basically I said you get no feeling at all being sat in front of one of the most powerful engines in the planet when you should be excited as hell with adrenaline throufh the roof! 

I compared the engine to next door using a weed whacker. Next door as was muffled too. They Def improved the tonal quality since then but it still sounds like recorded on a lavalier vocal mic not a full range condenser for sure! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LFSwicked said:

I highly, highly doubt "the game" sounds more accurate than real onboard audio when sitting inside the cockpit. 

If that's the case then my road car sounds more aggressive than an F1 car lol.   

Can’t see where I said it’s more accurate than the real onboard audio?

You must have a really powerful car then to be loader than an F1 engine when you drive round with your helmet on and ear pieces.

I love the negativity on this forum from all the users comparing to when they were in a F1 car. 🙈

Edited by Soupy1985
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

I made a long and critical post about this during the beta. Very substandard engine. Basically I said you get no feeling at all being sat in front of one of the most powerful engines in the planet when you should be excited as hell with adrenaline throufh the roof! 

I compared the engine to next door using a weed whacker. Next door as was muffled too. They Def improved the tonal quality since then but it still sounds like recorded on a lavalier vocal mic not a full range condenser for sure! 

Thanks. It’s good that you guys in the beta spoke about that, increase the chance that they will have a faster fix. The sound guys usually listen to feedback and change some things so let’s hope. 

The best comparison is the Ferrari engine and that Video is showing what we are meaning:

As I said: The engine itself sounds pretty realistic when the revs are higher. But you can’t drive a whole race with this high revs.

The current engine sound in the game is just weak and „lazy“ in comparison to the real engine that is high and aggressive especially at the Ferrari.

Edited by Jaketa
  • Like 2

Agree it needs to be 'racier' it sounds so monotone and lazy, when you hit 7th, 8th gear it sounds almost monotone and lazy no revs.

The real life engines and even 2018 game had a more aggressive racier sound

• Agree 3

The general sound of the engines are very good. My issue with them is that they are way too low pitch in higher RPM's. I keep shifting too late because I am used to 2018 and its way high pitch engine sounds. It might just be a thing that I need to get used to but right now it is really off-putting.

A little bit highe pitch on high RPM would do the trick for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Soupy1985 said:

Can’t see where I said it’s more accurate than the real onboard audio?

You must have a really powerful car then to be loader than an F1 engine when you drive round with your helmet on and ear pieces.

I love the negativity on this forum from all the users comparing to when they were in a F1 car. 🙈

"negativity"...It's called criticism, wanting an authentic aspect of the game we love to improve. Plus you don't have to sit in an F1 car to know what 10000 rpm sounds like, and when the game hits that it sounds no where near it. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LFSwicked said:

"negativity"...It's called criticism, wanting an authentic aspect of the game we love to improve. Plus you don't have to sit in an F1 car to know what 10000 rpm sounds like, and when the game hits that it sounds no where near it. 

Anyone who's ridden a motorcycle (or abused a shifter rental lol) will know what an engine sounds like approaching the power band (2 or 3 k revs below red line). The engine starts to scream and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up not only as you hear and feel the power waiting to be unleashed but your common sense tells you "this sounds dangerous"!. I know we are in the hybrid era now but anyone who's been to a racetrack cannot fail to be enthralled when these cars scream by inches from the fence you cling onto. Just imagine what a 1600cc super tuned F1 engine will sound and feel like a few inches behind your back right in the power band flying down the straight, heavy braking then wound up again as you power out of the corner. Raw power and excitement! 

This ain't it.... 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, EnsiFerrum said:

The gears are right!

What makes you say this? 

On 6/25/2019 at 10:51 PM, Jaketa said:

Agree. It’s a major problem. The cars are sounding like 8k revs cars.

Also the aerodynamic is wrong. The cars are way to slow despite they are faster on the straights in real.

If I recall correctly one of the problems was that the new wing regulations would make the cars slower. CM anticipated on that, but now it turns out they’re faster.

• Agree 1