Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overly Specific Description of a Possible Ranking System

As I have stated before, a ranking system is something that this game desperately needs - Clubs are a great addition, but they mainly benefit established communities and don't really address the shortcomings of the daily/weekly/monthly system. Currently, it's not really a competition, there's no real feedback, you're racing thousands of other players and have no way of tracking your progress.

So, I have come up with a ranking system. I don't expect it to be used, I'm pretty sure that posting it here is actually detrimental to having it used (legaleses and stuff), but it's a fun thought experiment and maybe it'll inspire others to push for an actual ranking system in Dirt Rally 2.0.

This ranking system is separated into six ranks - Open, Clubman, Professional, Elite, Master, Legend. With the exception of "Legend", each of them represents a score bracket. "Legend" is a special group for the top 100 players in the game. Which scoring system is used is up for debate, each has its pros and cons.

Each week presents the players with a "ranking challenge". Players can register for a "ranking challenge" each Monday-Wednesday and said ranking challenge starts on Thursday and lasts until Sunday. If a player decides to enter a ranking challenge, they are put into a group of a (maximum) 100 players from the same rank, most closely matched with them on a ranking scale.

A ranking challenge consists of one Grand event and four Daily events. The Grand event corresponds to a regular monthly event, with three countries and randomized stages. Daily events correspond to a regular daily event, with one random stage. Players are granted points based on their ranking in the Grand event and their ranking in Daily events. Daily events grant considerably less points than the Grand event, but they're something to keep the players busy and maybe jump them by a place or two. Players are free to examine all daily events ahead of time.

Once the ranking challenge concludes, each player's individual ranking is adjusted based on their performance. If a player crosses the ranking limit into the next/previous rank, they are promoted/demoted. If a player hasn't participated in a challenge, their ranking slightly decays. A three-day hiatus follows, where players can apply for the next ranking challenge.

There used to be a Pro Tour, a competitive mode with divisions in DiRT4. But it quickly died, as cars kept changing a lot and there was barely noone playing it.

I'm waiting for eSports, and in the meantime I'm playing on Discord Championship, which is intended to have divisions. (that's what the current season is all about, seeing who goes up to Pro and who stays in Amateur and Open).

1 hour ago, Riggs said:

There used to be a Pro Tour, a competitive mode with divisions in DiRT4. But it quickly died, as cars kept changing a lot and there was barely noone playing it.

I'm waiting for eSports, and in the meantime I'm playing on Discord Championship, which is intended to have divisions. (that's what the current season is all about, seeing who goes up to Pro and who stays in Amateur and Open).

I believe the core problem with DiRT4's dying was DiRT4. The Rally series has a much more invested and competitive fanbase and the system I've proposed doesn't differ much from events we have right now - and those have thousands of results on the leaderboard.