Cockpit Cam Halo Transparency 2019

Halo Transparency option  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Halo Transparency option in the settings.

• Yes I want this additional option in the settings.
    • I don`t care for this feature.

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, a couple of months ago I created a thread with a suggestion for the halo but now I created a more detailed solution and example of what I mean. The Halo is a big problem for any cockpit user and removing the central column is nice but don't look very realistic. An additional option can be added. F1 is a simulator and it`s trying to feel very realistic but the lack of geometry of the equipment make it less authentic. The halo is a part of the modern open wheel single sitters and doesn't disturb the drivers but for the players is a big issue. I was thinking why not introduce 2 sliders one for the size of a mask controlling the area of the transparent part and another one controlling the exact transparency. The eyes naturally make the front of the halo transparent when you drive and a similar effect can be achieved. With the sliders, you can make it transparent let say from 100% to around 10%. The effect can be on the top of the screen and the edges can be more opaque when the mask is resized with the slider. Similar to the image below. With this option, you can still see the sky and surrounding cars and the front of the car but still, have this illusion of the eyes adjusting to the object in front. Here is an example of it. The game makes the car transparent when you drive through objects but this option can be made for the cockpit view making the halo-less of a problem but of a feature.

Options Menu.jpg

Radial Mask.jpg

10% transparency.jpg

30% transparency.jpg

50% transparency.jpg

80% transparency.jpg

Edited by BiohazardBGR
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 12
  • Disagree 3

Posted (edited)

I got as far as, the Halo is a big problem for any cockpit user, and lost interest as its false, and ive got zero interest in reading anymore, it has to be said, please edit user for you or some,

I have zero, ZERO problems with the Halo, it has to be said, and it was the main reason I bought F1 2019, personally think the biggest problem is, is theirs a option to remove the centre column, this is just another assit, Codemasters this ant Forza it has to be said.

Any assisted players disagree, please leave a thumbs down.

👎

Edited by AScott
  • Disagree 12

Posted (edited)

Awesome idea, totally agree, you have made some great pics there to showcase your point.

We need this as a option for the players as irl the halo transparently gets out of the drivers vision (same as with our own nose on our face), but on a 2d flat monitor this effect can not be properly simulated without a transparency slider.

I guess many people surely will be happy with this one, me included.

Though imo only the halo column should get that transparency option, as that is the only part blocking our view directly, the halo bar should stay untouched. 

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error, new points of idea
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Cockpit user here... I just turn off the pillar and go about my day. 

Making it transparent is just a more convoluted way of deleting the pillar, so what's the point? 

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 3

Well, the Point Bankai3987 is that you remove some parts of the car and this doesn't look realistic it's bizarre and strange to have some metal part hanging above your head in my opinion. Simulating the eyes adjusting to objects in front of your face is a more natural solution for the problem. I didn't recall to remove the option for the central column but this option will definitely look more realistic and close to what the drivers see well you can make the central pillar dobule but even whits way will look better.

I agree fully with OP, and a great job creating the pictures, hopefully this will be added soon!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Making part or all of the halo transparent (to a degree) would solve the problem of keeping halo lovers and halo haters happy all at the same time. Having it as an option would be brilliant. Not as awesome as using the classic cars is but a great compromise. @BiohazardBGR excellent post and gfx. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Trying to simulate what the eyes see by using weird transparency methods.

For starters, if you want to simulate what the eyes see... sit 18 inches from your screen, since that looks about how close the pillar is to a driver's eyes IRL, then see what you see. I'm willing to bet that you'd see a lot less of the pillar than if you sat 2, 3 or however many feet, away from the screen. 

The other way is actual VR... but that's not likely to happen any time soon apparently.

Basically, the option we have now is the best compromise for everyone involved.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, AScott said:

I got as far as, the Halo is a big problem for any cockpit user, and lost interest as its false, and ive got zero interest in reading anymore, it has to be said, please edit user for you or some,

I have zero, ZERO problems with the Halo, it has to be said, and it was the main reason I bought F1 2019, personally think the biggest problem is, is theirs a option to remove the centre column, this is just another assit, Codemasters this ant Forza it has to be said.

👎

@AScott Have you seen Lando Norris streaming the game? The first thing he did was turn off the halo, and talked about how in real life you don't see it. He said you see right through it because it's so close and you have two eyes, like how you see your own nose. If an F1 driver says that there's no point arguing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 15

Great idea. This would be a big improvement. But i think it will never happen, because Codemasters is quite hesitant with optimizing.

For all haters: i think we would be minimum half a second faster with it. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

For all haters: i think we would be minimum half a second faster with it.

Care to explain why you think that?

Edited by Bankai3987

29 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

@AScott Have you seen Lando Norris streaming the game? The first thing he did was turn off the halo, and talked about how in real life you don't see it. He said you see right through it because it's so close and you have two eyes, like how you see your own nose. If an F1 driver says that there's no point arguing.

@Worntoathread Yea I seen that stream, and it wasnt the first thing he done, first thing he done was to change the view to cockpit, someone asked him to turn if off and he said no its realistic, he turned it of some time later, for reason which you've said,

but who's arguing ? some like it me, some dont, OP said any cockpit user its a big problem, am a cockpit user and disagree, while racing I hardly notice it, and removing it, just looks absoluty disgusting imo, plus you still have the radio ariel's in place blocking so, its kinda pointless imo, which am entitled to do cause its false, should of put some or them, labelling us all same is wrong.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

Great idea. This would be a big improvement. But i think it will never happen, because Codemasters is quite hesitant with optimizing.

For all haters: i think we would be minimum half a second faster with it. :classic_biggrin:

Actually, the effect is in the game try to drive in some cars during the formation lap and the halo go transparent when I first saw that I question why this is not an option 😄

3 minutes ago, Bankai3987 said:

Care to explain why you think that?

I forgot to add the sarcasm marking. It was a little tease for all the guys which wanted to force to drive absolutely realistic.

1 hour ago, Akkan74 said:

I forgot to add the sarcasm marking. It was a little tease for all the guys which wanted to force to drive absolutely realistic.

I thought you were being serious lol. After all a happy and content driver is without a doubt usually faster than than when distracted and annoyed.

• Agree 1

Idea sounds good right now I try both on and off to get use to the halo.. if the fade idea was in the game I could use it to get full experience.

Me cockpit view is the best and needs improvements.

Right now I set my camera to view my mirrors. It may make me slower but I feel it's more fun.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, pbrstreetgangkt said:

I use cockpit view with halo on, Its no problem for me as I’m looking for apexes 90 percent of the time 

Ifcource you can play this way but still, there is a lot of obstruction by the halo. You miss a lot of the environment like the sky or vistas. The straight line view is blocked I must adjust the car position to see breaking markers or cars in front. I have an opinion about the more options in games the better I think this idea is the best of both worlds. You will have the hallo and the vision similar to the eyes. I'm not a fan of removing parts of the car. Yes, the halo is a problem for 2d screens but simply remove the central column makes the car looks weird with the big ring hanging in the air. Recently I saw Autosport article about the IndyCar screen and looks superior protection device compared to the halo and is interesting to see how F1 will adopt this concept and what this mean for the f1 games also. If you have this device and removing the central pillar definitely will look more natural if you have in mind it's surrounded by glass.

05-24-Aeroscreen-Announcement-Closeup-In

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/05/05-24-Aeroscreen-Red-Bull-announcement

Edited by BiohazardBGR
  • Like 1

Offtopic

Hope that F1 2021 will have this type of cockpit protection, looks futuristic, almost like Nintendos F-Zero back in the days.

43 minutes ago, SturmDesTodes said:

Offtopic

Hope that F1 2021 will have this type of cockpit protection, looks futuristic, almost like Nintendos F-Zero back in the days.

Yes looks fantastic and safe if you ask me looks more like the batmobile from 1989 😛 it seems Batman invented the halo back in the days.

7604787898_7a9c0812b3_b.jpg

• Haha 3

Hey, @Faya  It will be awesome if the team take a look at this concept idea. I think many people will enjoy this option.

• Agree 2

OP did a fantastic job. The presentation of the idea is top notch.

I fully support the transparent halo!

• Agree 2

I fully support the transparent halo!

agree on this one, but I think before F1 2020 you will not have it...but I would sign it as well if we would have that option

• Agree 1