Jump to content Jump to content

[Old Bug] Lost Focus / DX12 locked to 60FPS Fullscreen

steviejay69

OK, I've figured this one out.

• A short description of the problem: As per title, enabling V-SYNC greys out the FPS Limiter option and frames are locked at 60FPS despite refresh set at 144Hz (Monitor is 144Hz Freesync LFC)
  • Platform you’re on (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Steam): PC Steam
  • Game Mode, Online or Offline: Benchmark
  • If in Multiplayer, how many players and how many AI?: n/a
  • What happened in the lead up to the problem?: Ran benchmark
  • If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving: No error message just frames capped to 60 FPS
  • Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc): T300, TM Open Wheel Rim
  • Have you been able to recreate the issue? If so, what are the steps? Tried a couple of benchmarks

I'll post a screenshot.

Game version: 1.03 

Windows 10 18362.175 AMD 19.6.3 Optional

System Spec: i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, 8GB RX580

When launching the game, often you cannot press a key until you [ALT-TAB]. The game launches and sits behind the desktop window focus.

Now the FPS lock is also happening; the game will run at the desktop refresh rate of 60FPS until you [ALT-TAB] out and back in to the game.

Please fix this. It has been happening since at least F1 2016 AFAIK, it may have been present in F1 2015 but that ran like a dog and I only logged 70-odd hours in that game because it was so poor.

Even the beta did not do this. Why do the released games lack basic function and seem to revisit the old bugs in every release?

Edit (to be continued): I'm going to try some experiments with Windowed mode and see if it is just Fullscreen that is affected.

4 hours ago, Qrazzo said:

It is not a problem with the game, this is just how v-sync works. So simply put, v-sync "sees" the frame rate your Graphics card is pushing out to your monitor and downscales it to the nearest round refresh rate number. This being 30, 60, 144 Hz. So lets say your GPU is pushing 80 FPS out, because of v-sync your frame rate will be locked at 60, as this is the nearest downscaled round number. I always advice turing v-sync of at all times, as it is very bad for input lag. As you have a 144Hz monitor, do you have freesync or G-sync, as those dont worek with the fram rate cap and deliver way beter results

Hope this was of any help!

I'm going to update this post. I went looking on the gaming PC for the screenshot of the sessions I took, none were saved. 

And now, it works absolutely perfectly (screenshot attached). Edited (again): [ALT-TAB] takes the game out of desktop refresh.

20190628094229_1.jpg

21 hours ago, Qrazzo said:

It is not a problem with the game, this is just how v-sync works. So simply put, v-sync "sees" the frame rate your Graphics card is pushing out to your monitor and downscales it to the nearest round refresh rate number. This being 30, 60, 144 Hz. So lets say your GPU is pushing 80 FPS out, because of v-sync your frame rate will be locked at 60, as this is the nearest downscaled round number. I always advice turing v-sync of at all times, as it is very bad for input lag. As you have a 144Hz monitor, do you have freesync or G-sync, as those dont worek with the fram rate cap and deliver way beter results

Hope this was of any help!

I don't know why my reply was removed (I can't see it now).

AMD recommend V-SYNC ON for Freesync and it does not work like you say. The monitor syncs it's refresh rate with the Graphics card (it syncs freely, hence Freesync). LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) artificially maintains smoothness by doubling the output at low FPS. So, e.g. it lifts a <35FPS output to ~70Hz. Depends also on the monitor, some early ones only have a small Freesync window e.g. 40-75Hz.

Mine is 35-144Hz with said LFC.

Archived