Silly mid-season driver transfers..

Mid-season transfers should be more rare or even non-existent, but I don't care how "unrealistic" the off-season transfers are. There is a logic to them inside the game. Vettel to Renault might not make sense in real life but in the career mode it might. Maybe Renault is on the up, maybe Vettel is not getting great results at the moment, maybe both. What I mean is, Hamilton won't move to Williams and Kubica won't move to Mercedes unless the game has a good reason for it to happen. 

And how realistic is it that YOU are an F1 driver, winning races and championships? Not very. 

• Agree 1

I agree with this post, mid season transfers is just stupid, can understand end of season tho.

• Agree 1

when did we had the last mid-seasson team transfers in real f1, and how many mid-seasson team changes do you remember in real f1?

• Agree 1

On 6/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, Worntoathread said:

There are already many reports of ridiculous driver transfers happening mid-season. The craziest example is Hamilton switching to Red Bull after Austria while leading the championship; Mercedes was the best car so his move lost him the title.. Obviously that's just silly and I fear these unrealistic mid-season transfers are turning one of the best features into one of the worst.

@Faya I definitely think it would be best to disable mid-season transfers for the AI entirely, or at least prevent them from happening for good performing drivers. Hopefully something can be done with a patch.

I agree, one thing that bothers me about the implementation is that it is not optional. There should be some options to driver transfers so you could opt to not have any drivers transfer at all (except for Lucas and Darth Devon) or not have mid season transfers, or not have drive transfers for an x amount of seasons. 

It's actually a gripe I have with the overall gameplay, there should be much more options overall. Not only driver transfers but a lot of the game mechanics like my obsession with a clean HUD for example.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FTBuzzard said:

when did we had the last mid-seasson team transfers in real f1, and how many mid-seasson team changes do you remember in real f1?

2016 was the last time. Kvyat <-> Verstappen.

2013 - Raikkonen replaced by Kovalainen at Lotus

2011 - Karthikeyan replaced by Ricciardo at HRT, Senna replaced Heidfeld at Lotus GP

2009 - Fisichella from Force India to Ferrari, Piquet Jr. from Renault to retirement, Grosjean from GP2 to Renault, Glock replaced by Kobayashi at Toyota

2007 - Speed replaced by Vettel at Toro Rosso

2006 - Villeneuve replaced by Kubica at BMW Sauber

2004 - Trulli from Renault to Toyota, Villeneuve from retirement to Renault

2001 - Alesi from Prost to Jordan, Frentzen from Jordan to Prost

1999 - Salo to BAR to replace Zonta and to Ferrari to replace Schumacher (both injured)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FTBuzzard said:

2017. Toro Rosso ended with different drivers than that they started with.

4 hours ago, Sector4 said:

2011 - Karthikeyan replaced by Ricciardo at HRT, Senna replaced Heidfeld at Lotus GP

2009 - Fisichella from Force India to Ferrari, Piquet Jr. from Renault to retirement, Grosjean from GP2 to Renault, Glock replaced by Kobayashi at Toyota

1999 - Salo to BAR to replace Zonta and to Ferrari to replace Schumacher (both injured)

So it was pretty much every second year, but never for a World champion driver. 

Whilst it’s amazing that driver transfers are now in the games it does sound like it needs dialling back a touch. 

Personally think there should be a limit to 1 or 2 very low ranked drivers able to do a mid season switch, with maybe another 1 or 2 drivers from mid teams at the end of a season, ...but the main top 3 teams should be limited to switch teams after 2 or 3 seasons minimum.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, stephensmattlee said:

Whilst it’s amazing that driver transfers are now in the games it does sound like it needs dialling back a touch. 

Personally think there should be a limit to 1 or 2 very low ranked drivers able to do a mid season switch, with maybe another 1 or 2 drivers from mid teams at the end of a season, ...but the main top 3 teams should be limited to switch teams after 2 or 3 seasons minimum.

Agree, or for the top teams they could limit the amount of driver switches to 1, in between seasons only. As is stands it looks like nearly every season will have completely different driver line ups, and then it even changes again once or twice during the season.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 1

Please note I've merged a new thread into this one as it was about the same thing. 

Please do not open new threads when there is already a thread open about the same item. It helps us a lot more if all of the comments are in one place. Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, Faya said:

Please note I've merged a new thread into this one as it was about the same thing. 

Please do not open new threads when there is already a thread open about the same item. It helps us a lot more if all of the comments are in one place. Thanks! 

Sorry @Faya
But great news you noticed that and at least are looking in to it .

1 minute ago, 1henryw said:

Really hope they fix this with a patch.

I really hope it, too.

dont know if anyone else has had this but Perez left Racing Point after the Russian GP and joined Renault then before the Austrailian GP for season 2 he left Renault for Racing Point. Why would anyone do that???

Hi all,  I've merged another thread about the mid season transfers into this thread. Thanks all! 

12 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

Really hope they fix this with a patch.

Not suer they can if the problem is what I suspect it to be the only way to fix it with a patch would be to remove them and I doubt that would go down well as the transfers was  the main selling point for this years game at least for me as without it I'd have probably stayed away this year. They just need to rethink the transfer system going forward and maybe go back to F1 2016/17' s system where there was only one mid and one end of season transfer window. Because for me I think it's that that's causing the problem in that there's too many contract windows.

19 minutes ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Not suer they can if the problem is what I suspect it to be the only way to fix it with a patch would be to remove them and I doubt that would go down well as the transfers was  the main selling point for this years game at least for me as without it I'd have probably stayed away this year. They just need to rethink the transfer system going forward and maybe go back to F1 2016/17' s system where there was only one mid and one end of season transfer window. Because for me I think it's that that's causing the problem in that there's too many contract windows.

I don't see how they can't fix it. it's extra code. They can fix this, but it will take a while. 

13 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

I don't see how they can't fix it. it's extra code. They can fix this, but it will take a while. 

Yeah they can fix it but I think it's more likely going to be a 2020 revamp rather than a 2019 patch job. Because as I said the only thing they could do in a patch is remove them but with it will go any reason for playing 2019 I think so I don't think anything will be done with that at least not with 2019. I don't think I'd be playing 2019 much at all if transfers got removed anyway.

On 6/30/2019 at 1:13 PM, Sector4 said:

Mate this is a better way to present it.

2018 was the first year ever in F1 where all drivers drove all races and in the same car all season. The only other season with no in season driver changes was 2008, but there Super Aguri went bust after 4 races, thus you didn't have all drivers who started race 1 do all races in the same cars.

In every single other F1 season there has been mid-season changes.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Yeah they can fix it but I think it's more likely going to be a 2020 revamp rather than a 2019 patch job. Because as I said the only thing they could do in a patch is remove them but with it will go any reason for playing 2019 I think so I don't think anything will be done with that at least not with 2019. I don't think I'd be playing 2019 much at all if transfers got removed anyway.

They could just make it an option "Enable driver transfers" "Yes or No" with "Yes" as the default option if that is the case.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:13 AM, martbloke said:

Normally I'd agree that there will be bugs for a new feature being added so give them a break .....BUT this game was in development for 2 years they've boasted so in what I'd consider a simple feature (considering there's just a driver changing teams with no real reasoning behind it...well nothing given in terms of "because of money" or "because that team will be a contender next year"), why oh why have they not thought of the possible cons in this decision?? That surely is 1 of the 1st things you do when there is a decision to be made and this is such an easy thought when you think of this feature being added.

In fact it's really the only real thought you should have - "What does it mean for the game if driver A goes to team Whatsup mid-season?"

OK. I agree now that you've made a valid point with the game's development period.

Hopefully they'll do a patch for it.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:43 PM, Sector4 said:

And how realistic is it that YOU are an F1 driver, winning races and championships? Not very. 

Yes, it can be realistic if I name my driver name in career mode as  Fernando Alonso, Esteban Ocon, Brendan Hartley, Sergio Sette Camara, Juan Manuel Correa, Nicholas Latifi or any other driver previously out of F1 making a comeback, or any other driver currently in F2 making the step up to F1.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, Ho3n3r said:

Made my day. :classic_laugh:

Fully agree though. This story mode doesn't do it for me. I'm just interested in racing and upgrading the car.

you can start your career directly in F1 without taking part in F2.

2 minutes ago, 2Pacalypse said:

you can start your career directly in F1 without taking part in F2.

Yep. Still has nothing to do with the point I replied to, though.