Silly mid-season driver transfers..

Posted (edited)

There are already many reports of ridiculous driver transfers happening mid-season. The craziest example is Hamilton switching to Red Bull after Austria while leading the championship; Mercedes was the best car so his move lost him the title.. Obviously that's just silly and I fear these unrealistic mid-season transfers are turning one of the best features into one of the worst.

@Faya I definitely think it would be best to disable mid-season transfers for the AI entirely, or at least prevent them from happening for good performing drivers. Hopefully something can be done with a patch.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Like 2
  • Agree 17

You know, with Codies outright ignoring people regarding adding a virtual mirror, never updating their tracks meaning there is still that god-awful version of Spa and launching with the wrong pit entry at Paul Ricard, launching with the wrong car performance values, the frankly terribly implemented F2 into the career (I definitely would have liked the option for a full F2 season rather than this Eastenders bs) among many other things, and now learning that this frankly annoying feature isn't even optional...

I think I'm gonna pass this year. Someone else should be making these games. Codies do nothing but squander the license.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 4

yes, drivers should only move after a season, not in-season. Barely ever happens and when only to lower grid drivers

• Agree 7

Unfortunately, I agree, they seem so excited to add it in, that they've over done it and made it a poor system, no one should be moving to Toro Rosso either, I've seen Magnussen and Albon switch, yet Toro Rosso should only allow their drivers to move to Red Bull. Its great to see the feature added but we do really need to see the system toned down, we shouldn't be seeing mid season changes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

It can't be that hard to make a system that makes sense, can it?

- Red Bull prefers to promote from within, can demote with bad performance (ironically Gasly in the game is way faster than in real life)

- Nobody moves from the top to a team that is already near the low end on overall performance unless they're performing badly compared to their teammate.

- Top drivers would mostly only switch if another team showed massive development improvements or they've won "everything there is" for a while and wanted a new challenge, or they're old and retire

- Mid-season changes should happen very rarely and only in affiliated teams and with drivers that make sense. E.g. Verstappen would not switch with Albon.

I mean I'm super glad that this is a thing now and shakes up career mode, I'll get a few laughs out of the swaps, but this seems like a fix that an intern could do. We shouldn't have to wait until next year for this!

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, DalekSam said:

rather than this Eastenders bs

Made my day. :classic_laugh:

Fully agree though. This story mode doesn't do it for me. I'm just interested in racing and upgrading the car.

2 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

There are already many reports of ridiculous driver transfers happening mid-season. The craziest example is Hamilton switching to Red Bull after Austria while leading the championship; Mercedes was the best car so his move lost him the title.. Obviously that's just silly and I fear these unrealistic mid-season transfers are turning one of the best features into one of the worst.

@Faya I definitely think it would be best to disable mid-season transfers for the AI entirely, or at least prevent them from happening for good performing drivers. Hopefully something can be done with a patch.

Maybe they paid Hamilton a huge lot of money....

But that seem a little unrealistic. But after i heard Ricciardo leaving Red Bull for Renault or Damon Hill went to Arrow after  he just won the WDC and Williams was a great team. Neither did it make sense for me that he would have wanted to leave or that Williams didn't want to sign him anymore. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Cappachino78 said:

But that seem a little unrealistic. But after i heard Ricciardo leaving Red Bull for Renault or Damon Hill went to Arrow after  he just won the WDC and Williams was a great team. Neither did it make sense for me that he would have wanted to leave or that Williams didn't want to sign him anymore. 

Or Jarno Trulli getting fired from Renault in 2005 despite being 4th in the championship and ahead of Alonso...

Maybe Toto used his toilet.

Edited by Ho3n3r
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cappachino78 said:

Since the license won't allow for teams and drivers to basically be assholes about their contracts, they have to leave a bit of randomness in to allow for situations like that.

Personally I think it has something to do with the contract windows because in the 2017 and earlier games you have 1 mid season one and one end of season one which might have worked t ohelp keep things more organised but because you have I think 3 or 4 contract windows in the season drivers can move any time within those. If they stuck to the old setup used in 2017 and earlier it might have been better given then there was only 2 transfer windows and the player could only move to the teams most interested in them.

It's a little OTT but I think it's a fantastic feature and am so glad it's been implemented. It makes career mode 1000% more interesting for me. Whilst I agree they should probably tone down the mid-season moves a little, It's better than not having them at all. Overall, the driver transfer feature is the best thing they added for me.

19 minutes ago, HarveyRacing said:

It's a little OTT but I think it's a fantastic feature and am so glad it's been implemented. It makes career mode 1000% more interesting for me. Whilst I agree they should probably tone down the mid-season moves a little, It's better than not having them at all. Overall, the driver transfer feature is the best thing they added for me.

Yeah it is good I'm not too worried about it getting out of control as it keeps things fresh though I'll admit it might have worked better with the way the 2017 game handled it.

I also think it's unrealistic, but it brings a bit of tension into the season, so not all seasons feels the same.

It's totally immersion Killing for me...ok tension and suspance but...it's totally unrealistic, exactly how they made Gasly so damn fast...

29 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

I also think it's unrealistic, but it brings a bit of tension into the season, so not all seasons feels the same.

I agree about the transfers for new seasons, but it's not so exciting if you're fighting Hamilton for the title and he suddenly goes off to a midfield team halfway through the calendar :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

I agree about the transfers for new seasons, but it's not so exciting if you're fighting Hamilton for the title and he suddenly goes off to a midfield team halfway through the calendar :classic_laugh:

Nah he'll become your teammate. 😛

They just need to cut out mid season AI swaps, that way a title contender cant go to Torro Rosso for the boys!

Surely in testing they saw this?

Or is somewhere in the codies office a voice saying, test!! What testing!!!

5 minutes ago, AdamFreeman said:

They just need to cut out mid season AI swaps, that way a title contender cant go to Torro Rosso for the boys!

Surely in testing they saw this?

Or is somewhere in the codies office a voice saying, test!! What testing!!!

It's possible they just didn't think that would be too much of a problem for people to have mid season transfers besides just because it can happen in a career doesn't necessarily mean that it will. Like with the rule changes it just depends on how the career plays out.

I wish driver transfers only happens at the end of the season, I hope they consider doing this. 

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, AllenB2609 said:

yes, drivers should only move after a season, not in-season. Barely ever happens and when only to lower grid drivers

You say this but 2018 real life F1 was the first year in a very long time that there were zero driver swaps in a season. In real life there are almost always several mid-season swaps every single year.

• Agree 1

For what I've seen, the driver transfer are very frequent and unrealistic. I saw Hamilton moving to Red Bull in year 2, fo course that's not gonna happen in real life. I think you should allow the player to turn this feature on and off before the career start, just like you can skip the F2 series.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

They don't have to cut it midseasson out completely, all they should do is avoid team changes for the top teams

Edited by FTBuzzard

Well I just hope they say and do something about it I am still on 18 and until these silly design choices are tweaked I dont think I will enjoy a title challenge.

Posted (edited)

Great feature that has obviously been rushed. Seeing random mid-season swaps in my game like Hamiltion to Renault halfway thro the season he was leading. Have also seen videos on YouTube and it seems all the top teams shuffle drivers EVERY season. Really hope codemasters tone this down or it really will ruin a great feature.

Codemasters have an annoying habit of introducing great new features like r and d but taking 2 or three years to get them right 😕

Edited by 1henryw
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2