For all you no assists players....

Hey all I’m after some advice. 

So I’ve been playing F1 for as long as I can remember, invested in a wheel back for the ps3, never really got to grips with it. The last few years I’ve played with abs on, medium TC, and racing line on corners only using a pad (a wheel now is just not viable)

After reading so many posts about how much slower you are with assists this year I’m thinking right, this is the year to take the leap.... start running with no assists and nail it. Only.... it’s just not happening. 

I lock up at the slightest push of the L2 button, I just cannot get to grips with no TC I just can’t gradually put on the throttle, I just cannot do it, and the acceleration linearity is set to 100 to make it less sensitive to begin with. I just spin out or lock up and end up in the wall a couple of corners out of the pits. If I do manage a lap I’m like 30 seconds off as I’m constantly off the track. It’s getting tiresome now. 

Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice really. Best settings for calibration, saturation linearity, the best ways to brake into a corner, accelerate, throttle etc. I know practice practice practice, but I have been playing the game since Tuesday and I literally am getting NO better with assists off, I’m starting to think I’m just not cut for it and am destined to be one of those almost good enough but not quite. :(

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

I also had the same settings in 18 same thing made me try no assists for this year's game as you with a pad also I've had to put traction control back on medium though but took line and abs off for now to get me used to the feel. Traction control is solid though with a pad. 

Maybe try dropping one assist at a time. Instead of making it a completely frustrating task for yourself. 

First one I’d drop would be TC just don’t mash R2 on your way out of a corner press it gradually, you’ll get used to it. Short shifting out of corners helps a lot aswell. You should feel a rumble in the pad anyway when you’re starting to lose grip. Setting your on-throttle differential to the lowest setting (50%) helps a lot aswell in terms of spinning out.

As for ABS, you need to play around with the brake bias for me 60% (default) it’s too easy to lock the fronts and 50% makes it too easy to lock the rears ( you’ll know this is happening as the back end starts sliding under braking). So I use 55% most of the time but I think it’s down to personal preference. As for actually braking you need to apply 100% brake pressure (fully press down L2) and gradually ease off it as you begin to turn. There’ll be a rumble in the controller aswell to let you know when you’re starting to lock up, so ease off when you feel that.

A good place to practice both of these actually is the hairpin at the end of the back straight in China. 

Also I’m not sure what gears you are you using but FYI No TC will but much easier if you’re used to manual gears. 

I've also brought my Ai down from 102 to 92 in career mode from what I had it in f1 18 to compensate my changes for now then build myself up I'm reaping the rewards though making good progress with my pace.

1 hour ago, FTBuzzard said:

you're not slower with assists.

So everyone on here saying CM have nerfed the assists this year are incorrect? I’m much quicker even with med TC over full TC. You are quicker with no assists. Always has been the case IMO. Sadly I’m not good enough without them.

2 hours ago, AScott said:

@johnboy83 I dont think youll find those type of players on here.

What ‘type of players’ are you referring to?

4 minutes ago, johnboy83 said:

So everyone on here saying CM have nerfed the assists this year are incorrect? I’m much quicker even with med TC over full TC. You are quicker with no assists. Always has been the case IMO. Sadly I’m not good enough without them.

What ‘type of players’ are you referring to?

For all you no assists players,

players who dont use assits type of players.

2 hours ago, JR6492 said:

Maybe try dropping one assist at a time. Instead of making it a completely frustrating task for yourself. 

First one I’d drop would be TC just don’t mash R2 on your way out of a corner press it gradually, you’ll get used to it. Short shifting out of corners helps a lot aswell. You should feel a rumble in the pad anyway when you’re starting to lose grip. Setting your on-throttle differential to the lowest setting (50%) helps a lot aswell in terms of spinning out.

As for ABS, you need to play around with the brake bias for me 60% (default) it’s too easy to lock the fronts and 50% makes it too easy to lock the rears ( you’ll know this is happening as the back end starts sliding under braking). So I use 55% most of the time but I think it’s down to personal preference. As for actually braking you need to apply 100% brake pressure (fully press down L2) and gradually ease off it as you begin to turn. There’ll be a rumble in the controller aswell to let you know when you’re starting to lock up, so ease off when you feel that.

A good place to practice both of these actually is the hairpin at the end of the back straight in China. 

Also I’m not sure what gears you are you using but FYI No TC will but much easier if you’re used to manual gears. 

This is great. Thanks. I have tried to get to grips with no TC on many occasions. Mainly on ‘18. I have medium TC pretty much nailed, maybe with the odd error coming out of T3 in Austria,gradual throttle isn’t an issues here, but with it off, Even with the linearity to max, I always over cook it. I use manual gears, again, much quicker than using auto, so il have a bash at short shifting out of corners and see how I get on. 

I appreciate the words of wisdom, il probably be back for more though! 

• Agree 1

Looks like this assist bug was planned by Code to get more people off assist ...

I used them in think 4 a week then turn all off bar corners markers .. which I use in o1 and 2 but try p3 without and part race depending on how bad I do.

Right now I left at 100m board and starting slowing down.. still need to get hand of gearing down with out loosing to much time

Edited by Hygradeb