F1 2019 Setup Guide

44 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Thanks a lot mate! You're correct, it's the right-hander before the back straight. Turn 11 is a bit tricky but not as bad.

Usually I do a base setup in TT and fine tune it in a multiplayer practice session to know what kind of tire temperatures and degradation I'm getting, and of course to see how it feels with a full fuel load. If I'm not league racing I prefer to drive in TT because the random multiplayer lobbies are Mario Kart with F1 graphics.

Wow that alfa sure does have some turn in and mid corner push lol, im going to either enjoy this or break the tv ūüėĀ, What laptimes are ya getting in tt with the alpha?¬†

15 hours ago, SimracerGysepy said:

Wow that alfa sure does have some turn in and mid corner push lol, im going to either enjoy this or break the tv ūüėĀ, What laptimes are ya getting in tt with the alpha?¬†

It does, doesn't it! I've actually not driven the standard Alpha in TT in Bahrain, because the car performances are set to equal in the league. In race simulations in online practice lobbies I was doing 1:32s and 1:31s with a fuel load initially set for a 50% race, depending on the tyre compound. In TT with Ferrari it was somewhere in the 1.28s.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, SingaporeTrackLizard said:

I am really struggling with setups now the ballast has gone. If I do things to improve the cornering I get horrible corner exits. 

What ya mean by horrible corner exits, im assuming on throttle oversteer? 

Edited by SimracerGysepy

I'm using my old set's from 2018 and I'm doing OK. I really never went to the ex-streams with the ballast just to get the car to turn due to the norm of using  very low aerodynamic down force up front.    

2 hours ago, SimracerGysepy said:

What ya mean by horrible corner exits, im assuming on throttle oversteer? 

I mean it bogs on corner exits and I have no power (I use tc so I assume it's that because I have no traction) and this makes me horribly slow on the straights. 

Posted (edited)

Also the car is like it's on ice in the wet. I have been able to adapt my driving and actually done pretty well in the wet in previous years but now it seems to be horrible. In fact wet races used to be my best races. Now I can't keep the car on the road.

Edited by SingaporeTrackLizard

On 7/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, janbonator said:

It does, doesn't it! I've actually not driven the standard Alpha in TT in Bahrain, because the car performances are set to equal in the league. In race simulations in online practice lobbies I was doing 1:32s and 1:31s with a fuel load initially set for a 50% race, depending on the tyre compound. In TT with Ferrari it was somewhere in the 1.28s.

I only just downloaded 2019 and first car I tried was the Alfa. Very susceptible to understeer, but I found you can drive to it using more progressive and deeper trail braking. Set up's can obviously bee very helpful in eliminating a bunch of issues but sometimes trialling a couple of specifics techniques on a particular corner (eg Bahrain T12) could help understand how best to approach that corner each lap. For instance on Bahrain T12, where there's no braking zone and it's a high speed entry and fast directional change, you could trial deeper entry and faster steering inputs vs earlier entry and more 'poured in' progressive steering input. It sounds like you're pretty experienced, prob more than me!, but I find that set ups can lead you down paths that aren't necessarily best suited to the chassis (IRL too).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ps4richie3602 said:

Very susceptible to understeer, but I found you can drive to it using more progressive and deeper trail braking. 

It may also help to go down an extra gear on corner entry to upset the rear just a bit and get that little bit of extra front end turn in.

1 minute ago, Andrew210227 said:

It may also help to go down an extra gear on corner entry to upset the rear just a bit and get that little bit of extra front end turn in.

Yep 100%, where there's a down shift required. But I'd say T12 at Bahrain is one of those places where you just need a strong front end. Using steering input to improve grip is key when there's no braking/downshift needed (assuming you have the right general car balance and aero set up).

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, ps4richie3602 said:

I only just downloaded 2019 and first car I tried was the Alfa. Very susceptible to understeer, but I found you can drive to it using more progressive and deeper trail braking. Set up's can obviously bee very helpful in eliminating a bunch of issues but sometimes trialling a couple of specifics techniques on a particular corner (eg Bahrain T12) could help understand how best to approach that corner each lap. For instance on Bahrain T12, where there's no braking zone and it's a high speed entry and fast directional change, you could trial deeper entry and faster steering inputs vs earlier entry and more 'poured in' progressive steering input. It sounds like you're pretty experienced, prob more than me!, but I find that set ups can lead you down paths that aren't necessarily best suited to the chassis (IRL too).

I have to agree, its a very good point you made. what i am finding here is that trying to setup a car just for a single corner albeit an important corner can affect the lap as a whole. I'm finding the more i play the more i am starting to realize that its my driving causing a lot of the under-steer. I can take T12 in Bahrain flat, shifting to 7th just before the apex and let the car drift to the left before breaking about 10mtr before the green bollard on the right. This gives a good entry to T13 but it is the exit that is more important due to the long straight afterwards.

Currently getting into the 1:30's with the Alpha and can only manage a 1:29 in the Ferrari in TT of course. What seems to be standard in setting up a car is very strange in this game sometimes it feels a little backwards. 

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't want to quote all of the above, but it seems we have a disagreement on what is Turn 13 in Bahrain. To my knowledge and what I referred to as Turn 13 is the right-hander before the straight, not the flat-out one before that.

My league race in Bahrain is done now and to be honest I was quite happy with the setup on the multiplayer Alpha. Managed a 1:28.2 in quali and was looking like a winner in the race, but I mistakenly put mediums instead of hards on my pitstop. So, it's possible to one-stop without hards in Bahrain but I wouldn't recommend.. finished with tire wear at 90%.

Regarding F1 cars when they are set to equal performance, where in the rpm range should you be shifting?

When unbalanced, some cars (when shift tone is On) want you to shift early in the RPMs and others want you to bury the needle before you shift. 

Posted (edited)

Which cars have a early and late tone @DaleRossi? It all depends on the peak torque and power at an pacific rmp of that car.

Edited by Striker_703

55 minutes ago, Striker_703 said:

Which cars have a early and late tone @DaleRossi? It all depends on the peak torque and power at an pacific rmp of that car.

For instance, Ferrari and Merc have a relatively early shift tone. Alfa and McLaren (if I remember off the top of my head) don't beep until towards the end of the RPM readout.

• Agree 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:58 AM, DaleRossi said:

For instance, Ferrari and Merc have a relatively early shift tone. Alfa and McLaren (if I remember off the top of my head) don't beep until towards the end of the RPM readout.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:10 AM, Striker_703 said:

I tested it out last night and you're correct @DaleRossi. I'm gathering it's to represent the peak power at rmp.

So I haven't tested this out¬†yet but this might be down to one of two other things: 1. the algorithm could be helping you to change up at a more suitable moment during either straight line or cornering for max traction; or 2. it could be down to the set up of the car, eg high downforce needs higher rpm. Technically the Alfa and there Ferrari should be the same ūüėČ

• Thanks 1

I well away of what the beep is for @ps4richie3602. I've been doing some digging on information on the current Pirelli F1 tires. I have one question that must be answered. @Faya. Is it possible to find out if the tire model attempts to replicate all areas besides what we currently know? Thanks in advance.        

3 hours ago, ps4richie3602 said:

So I haven't tested this out¬†yet but this might be down to one of two other things: 1. the algorithm could be helping you to change up at a more suitable moment during either straight line or cornering for max traction; or 2. it could be down to the set up of the car, eg high downforce needs higher rpm. Technically the Alfa and there Ferrari should be the same ūüėČ

Ha True on Alfa and Ferrari. The other points make a little sense, but I haven't noticed a change depending on areas of the track. 

The two cars I can say for certain that have different shift points are the Ferrari and Red Bull.  That is fine, I would just love to know what this means when the cars have balanced performance turned on.

7 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

I well away of what the beep is for @ps4richie3602. I've been doing some digging on information on the current Pirelli F1 tires. I have one question that must be answered. @Faya. Is it possible to find out if the tire model attempts to replicate all areas besides what we currently know? Thanks in advance.        

LOL ūüėā obviously it's to tell you when to change up; I wasn't supposing you didn't know that. I meant to answer @DaleRossi¬†question about why it's different for different cars. The shift tone is a Codie thing, not typically an F1 thing. That said, often F1 drivers (and other formula) use a tone in their ear to help them too...

6 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Ha True on Alfa and Ferrari. The other points make a little sense, but I haven't noticed a change depending on areas of the track. 

The two cars I can say for certain that have different shift points are the Ferrari and Red Bull.  That is fine, I would just love to know what this means when the cars have balanced performance turned on.

No idea; like I said it's a Codie thing - I'd ignore the differences and just shift when feels appropriate for the gear, corner, setup, driving technique (eg it can help with trail braking to alter when you downshift - T3 at Budapest is a good example where being slower with downshifts help keep speed through the long corner) etc.

I imagine Codie have just written it in that each team have a slightly different mapping.

• Thanks 1

@DaleRossi @ps4richie3602 balance of performance is referring to all aspect of the car. Power, Aerodynamic and so on. During races such as this, it comes to driver skill and car setup.    

4 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

@DaleRossi @ps4richie3602 balance of performance is referring to all aspect of the car. Power, Aerodynamic and so on. During races such as this, it comes to driver skill and car setup.    

Then you wouldn't expect any difference in shift point in the rpm range...no?

• Agree 1

No. There wouldn't be any difference in shift points in that state @ps4richie3602. Balance of Performance 'BoP' in this title follows one line, 'Equal' which inlays the vr cars to have the same numbers across the board. When the cars a let loose in their respective spec then you'll notice the difference in shift points.