Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Bugs and wierd features in every installment of the game (since 2010)

Since F1 2010 I have played every installment of the yearly release. And though every installment has had improvement, there were also some bugs that have never been solved since F1 2010. Also some implemented features never quite worked the way the community would have liked.

This tread is created to notify CM of this, in the hopes they can specifically test for these in F1 2015. If anyone knows of more issues that have plagued every release then feel free to post them. And I'll update the main post with the added issues.

Lapping AI doesn't work as it should.
Instead of slowing down on the straits, and powering through the corners, they slow midcorner. Making it cost a lot of laptime to pass them. This not only applies to the race, but also to Qualifying with AI on their In-lap or Out-lap.

AI speed while advancing time in sessions doesn't work as it should.
In dry weather, while advancing time the AI are 1,5 seconds slower then they would have been if you were out on track with them. In wet weather, the AI is 5 or 6 seconds a lap faster then conditions allow you to drive. This also applies to skipping to the end of the session. Impact of this issue is that you either can't advance time or AI not giving the challenge they should give. Making it much less rewarding to do good in career (especially with the smaller teams).

Penalty area's on track aren't set the way they are supposed too.
In real life you are allowed to drive off track, as long as 2 wheels stay on track. This should mean ingame that all area's that would give you a warning/penalty or disallow your laptime in practice/qualy should follow that same rule. Instead some corners can be fully cut, while others you get a penalty for just putting the outside wheels on a curbstone.

AI speed is set with difficulty levels.
The problem is that these difficulty levels are set with huge gaps between levels, often making 1 difficulty level to easy, and the next difficulty level to hard. This would be easily solved with using percentage system. Where AI Speed and Aggression are set on percentage scale. Gamers can then finetune the AI level to fit their preference perfectly, making the game much more rewarding.

AI consistancy accross tracks and corners.
The AI speed varies to great accross tracks. In some tracks you are a second a lap faster then the AI, in other tracks a second a lap slower. Even in corners the AI consistency to the pace you are able to run varies. I have seen corners where I can close up full second to the AI, and corners where the AI disappears into the distance. In order to make the difficulty levels more relevant, this needs to be sorted. Of course some tracks / corner suit a player more then others, but the gap shouldn't be that big.

AI not equally affected by tyre wear, fuel level and weather.
By all appearances the AI doesn't seem to be equally affected by tyre wear, fuel level and weather. I've seen plenty of occasions where I'm no longer able to run top pace, but AI on older tyres is still doing personal bests. I've also seen plenty of occasions where I struggle for grip on Intermediates, where AI is happily running on slicks. This needs to be balanced.

Career goals based on unrealistic targets.
The AI speed of the teams makes career goals unrealistic. It's dead easy to win in a top team, but incredibly difficult to even beat your team mate in a Marussia / Caterham (on highest difficulty level).

The career targets should never be set compared to the leaders, it should be set based on your teammate. If you have a good lap you should be about 3 to 6 tenths faster then your team mate, no more then that (depending on who the teammate is. Ericsson could be a second, Alonso 2 tenths). Where you end up on the grid with that depends on the car performance. With Marussia doing that means only fighting with your team mate and the Caterham, with Mercedes it means only having your teammate as a challenge. It may not be fun to not battle above your team potential, but it is the only way you really get satisfaction of landing that deal with a higher team in career mode (and the sense of what F1 is really about to a racing driver).

Career goals should be the same all season, and not change unless you consistently do a lot better. One crazy result based on heavy rain, crashes, safety cars shouldn't mean you suddenly have a lot higher target for the next race, which you'll never reach in the dry.

Damage model not working as it should.
When a car crashes (AI) then the car is always able to drive on, or quickly disappears. Meaning that safety car / red flag is almost never seen. In order to get a better experience of that it is to be an F1 driver, the damage model needs to be more sensitive. Right now in Monaco I can easily hit the wall with my front wing without it damaging, while in real life a good portion of my endplate would be gone. Also ingame when the endplate is knocked off, there is no loss of downforce, no loss of lap time. Having a more realistic damage model forces players to be more carefull.

Cars should never simply disappear from track. There needs to be some animatic of a crane or marshall pushing it away (in realistic time). If the car is in a dangerous place there needs to be a safety car (they are much more easily deployed in real life now). If cars are blocking the track, like in Monaco there needs to be a red flag).

Engineer doesn't give information when needed
The engineer rarely comments on anything relevant to that moment in the race. Wheather about strategy, gaps to other drivers, or weather. Some things have been prohibited last year to say on a radio, but there's still plenty information that the engineer can keep you updated on or even better, you as player can request certain information.

In Grid Autosport you have the D-Pad to request information. Why not do that for F1. Sure there are only 4 options on the D-Pad, but you can easily make an extra sub menu. So main menu could be: Engineer, Strategy, Settings. If you select Engineer could can then see categories of information (like: weather, rivals, pitstops, car status). And if you select that then you get the actual information option: for example for car status: damage, fuel consumption, tyre degradation). Of course this is an example. I'm sure CM can finetune that.

I'm sure with more time I can think of more stuff, but this is plenty to get this tread started.

Team Objectives  are usualy set (from what I've seen) from Practice/Quali Results

You forgot to mention AI that leaves the pits and blocks you on the first corner in their outlap in qualifying, even when there's not enough time for them to start a flying lap.

FS7 said:
You forgot to mention AI that leaves the pits and blocks you on the first corner in their outlap in qualifying, even when there's not enough time for them to start a flying lap.
Actually I haven't encountered that in F1 2014. So unless you have, I assumed the issue was fixed (finally in the 2014 iteration).

Juice29 said:
Team Objectives  are usualy set (from what I've seen) from Practice/Quali Results

True, but if you have qualy on a drying track you are able to do better then you normally would in the dry. Your qualy target for the next race is then immediately sharpened. Meaning that if it's dry that next weekend qualy session, you won't make the target. So imho the target should only be sharpened if you can beat the previous target consistently (let's say 3 out of 4 races in a row).

I really like your idea regarding the engineer and the D-Pad. To have that many options available would be fantastic. As you say, there are now some restrictions as to what can and can't be said over team radio but I think it's a feature that would make the game much more personal.

I really like your idea regarding the engineer and the D-Pad. To have that many options available would be fantastic. As you say, there are now some restrictions as to what can and can't be said over team radio but I think it's a feature that would make the game much more personal.

Main challenge is not over complicating something like that. Circuits with long straits it's not a problem to use D-Pad multiple times to scroll through options, but on Monaco you barely have the time to shift the focus to D-Pad. So 2 sub-menu's is probably the maximum.

Encarnia said:

Main challenge is not over complicating something like that. Circuits with long straits it's not a problem to use D-Pad multiple times to scroll through options, but on Monaco you barely have the time to shift the focus to D-Pad. So 2 sub-menu's is probably the maximum.
Hey least that will give us players the 'immersion' since over 50% of a lap the drivers are playing with buttons on there wheels lol, but i find after playing for ages you just learn what to press and it comes naturally