Is it just me or is the R&D system way too fast this year? I mean a maxed out Alfa Romeo at the end of season two (5 seconds faster compared to beginning of season one)?! Why should I play the other eight seasons? 

2018 was also that fast... but the R&D system from 2017 was perfect... they should add an option where you can choose between "quick", "regular" and "realistic" for the R&D system. Besides all the great improvements they made for carreer mode.. this really annoys me.

• Agree 2

It wont reset till a regulation change which generaly gets announced about monza time thats how it worked on last year game . I think the could tie it in with contract negotiations ie you could sign a 3 year contract that will give a longer rnd development for all the teams probleys by giving less recource points or extending the developing time from 3 weeks to 6 weeks . And same for other contact deals you sign a 2 year it speeds up a bit and sign a year contract the rnd is fast . You could keep the same contract structure in place where you sign every few races but instead of been able to join other teams the do it just for the perks its how id like to see it at least be able to sign multy year contract 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BennyF1 said:

Is it just me or is the R&D system way too fast this year? I mean a maxed out Alfa Romeo at the end of season two (5 seconds faster compared to beginning of season one)?! Why should I play the other eight seasons? 

2018 was also that fast... but the R&D system from 2017 was perfect... they should add an option where you can choose between "quick", "regular" and "realistic" for the R&D system. Besides all the great improvements they made for carreer mode.. this really annoys me.

Yeah I saw that on Ben's video. Seems pretty crazy how far a team can advance a car in 1 season without reg changes let alone those 2 seasons that were simmed. And for the P1 time of the top car to be 5 seconds quicker from the 1st season to the 3rd? That's just outright ridiculousness! The Merc is close-ish to being maxed out and so you're saying that all their performance updates allows their car to be 5 seconds faster? Crazy!

This system needs revisiting and adjusted so that R&D development is more realistic throughout a season and that car performance from start to max is not that massive a change! Basically the limit of any maxed out car should be only 1.5-2secs faster than the fastest car of the 1st race of season 1 (i.e. the Merc). Being able to max out your car needs to be slowed more as well (reduce number of R&D points earned across a weekend and the R&D rate of AI). I understand this is why the reg changes have been introduced but if it's a few seasons for this to come in, R&D for me seems too fast as it stands for this to make an impact to your R&D.

All my opinion of course but it just doesn't seem to make too much sense to me atm.

Edited by martbloke
  • Agree 3

When people were playing F1 2017 people ewre complaining upgrading was too slow now people are saying it's to fast but that's why they brought in the rule changes so you would always need to keep earning them. It was done this way so that those that just want a quick blast of a career can do that but at the same time those that prefer a more prolonged career that lasts 10 seasons will still get it. Because with the rule changes you'll always need to keep earning points even with a maxed out car to protect it. Seems that CM can never win these days. It's up to you the player to find what the balance is for you if you feel you're upgrading or getting components too quickly then don't upgrade for a while just save the points who knows you might need them to protect your current upgrades from being wiped out by the rule changes. I know that in my first season on 2018 I actually stopped spending points once I got to the mid season break in order to save them for any potential rule change and by doing so I've been able to protect upgrades that were important to me instead of just mindlessly upgrading the car. By doing this I've enjoyed the game far more I'm still in my first season although I've only got a handful of races left in that first season but that's more due to not getting around to finishing my career I started but I plan on getting back to it. Basically all  I'm saying is I think people should take a more measured approach when doing career mode on the game you might find you enjoy it a lot more

In 2018 there were suggestions to implement a difficulty option for R&D. For me that would be the best way. Everybody who wants it could take the harder difficulty and would gain less points. Standard is the default option and the guys who wants it a bit quicker could choose easy. 

Also what i have suggested last year, from my point of view every R&D option should have a positive and a possible negative effect. This would make the R&D much more interesting. For example a drag reduction upgrade could have a negative effect on tyre wear or an engine upgrade could lower the reliability. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Akkan74 said:

In 2018 there were suggestions to implement a difficulty option for R&D. For me that would be the best way. Everybody who wants it could take the harder difficulty and would gain less points. Standard is the default option and the guys who wants it a bit quicker could choose easy.

I would prefer a 0-99 slider on this issue. 0 means "Very slow", 99 means "Very quick".

6 minutes ago, ndrst said:

I would prefer a 0-99 slider on this issue. 0 means "Very slow", 99 means "Very quick".

I doubt they would do that that would be far too complicated to implement.

52 minutes ago, sjsharp2010 said:

I doubt they would do that that would be far too complicated to implement.

Wouldn't it just be a percentage of points? Choose difficulty 1 and you get 1% of normal points (that would be insane! Haha) and 50 = half points and so on. Shouldn't be that difficult. Only issue would be the AI R&D - what happens there??

Regarding your previous post, I do think that Codies have still got it wrong from what I'm seeing. Yes you could say that some were complaining 2017 was too slow and now complaining it's too fast so they can't win but they can win. It just means that perhaps they've gone too far the other way. Just needs fine tuning. I just think that it should be that it's not possible to fully max out R&D. You can't tell me that there is 1 team out that say they have the perfect car with no upgrade possible? They are always looking to update the car. Yes you could max out a department (aero, chassis, engine) but never all; you chose what department to focus on and the points earned reduced to make sure this never happens. That would slow it a bit.

The 5 second improvement however you must agree needs to be looked at, no?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, martbloke said:

Wouldn't it just be a percentage of points? Choose difficulty 1 and you get 1% of normal points (that would be insane! Haha) and 50 = half points and so on. Shouldn't be that difficult. Only issue would be the AI R&D - what happens there??

Regarding your previous post, I do think that Codies have still got it wrong from what I'm seeing. Yes you could say that some were complaining 2017 was too slow and now complaining it's too fast so they can't win but they can win. It just means that perhaps they've gone too far the other way. Just needs fine tuning. I just think that it should be that it's not possible to fully max out R&D. You can't tell me that there is 1 team out that say they have the perfect car with no upgrade possible? They are always looking to update the car. Yes you could max out a department (aero, chassis, engine) but never all; you chose what department to focus on and the points earned reduced to make sure this never happens. That would slow it a bit.

The 5 second improvement however you must agree needs to be looked at, no?

Personally I feel the system is fine so doesn't need changing but then that's just my opinion.

There is a simpler and actually more fun to delay the upgrades. Simply ignore all then practice sessions except maybe race pace to judge tire wear for the race. Main advantage here is more racing less Jeff telling you a wheel is round over and over and over and over and.... Etc etc. Imagine how much fun the game will be with only 10 mins or practice then q and race! For more realism just run ONE practice run in each session, with each of the different tires doing race pace. Then you will have great tire wear info for race in all scenarios as all as extending the career several more seasons. 

8 hours ago, Akkan74 said:

Also what i have suggested last year, from my point of view every R&D option should have a positive and a possible negative effect. This would make the R&D much more interesting. For example a drag reduction upgrade could have a negative effect on tyre wear or an engine upgrade could lower the reliability. 

I really like this idea! Kinda like Motorsport Manager has a race difficulty and R&D difficulty which also makes all the other teams better and more efficient at R&D.

Side note: is anybody else noticing that the R&D trees are the same.  I might just be my imagination especially since I didn’t do a career with Alfa last year and it’s my only team so far this year.  But so far as I remember my tree looks pretty similar to the one Ben had when he did his Alfa career on YouTube.  I could be wrong, and honestly to me it doesn’t make a difference really.  I’m just curious if I’ve got some sort of Mandela effect thing going on or it’s real haha!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

There is a simpler and actually more fun to delay the upgrades. Simply ignore all then practice sessions except maybe race pace to judge tire wear for the race. Main advantage here is more racing less Jeff telling you a wheel is round over and over and over and over and.... Etc etc. Imagine how much fun the game will be with only 10 mins or practice then q and race! For more realism just run ONE practice run in each session, with each of the different tires doing race pace. Then you will have great tire wear info for race in all scenarios as all as extending the career several more seasons. 

Also just because you have the resources doesn’t mean you have to spend them.  This is what I did last year and had a really fun career with Toro Rosso.  I started by trying to work my way to the front of the midfield all the while working on Reliability upgrades and dept efficiencies.

Assuming R&D is basically the same as last year I will agree that the progression is too fast. I would have liked to see the pacing of upgrades somewhere between 2017 and 2018. (A bit faster than 17 and a bit slower than 18.)

I started with a mid team. i am at Monaco now. I just only do they track accla, the quali, and the race strategy. It doesn't goes to fast for me. And indeed you don't have to spend them on performance upgrades. But it would be awesome if there was a sort of budget for teams. Like the mid teams have a lower budget so it would be like a real challenge to be a wdc contender with a mid team.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

This is fine in principle but what concerns me is that the 'maxed out' Alfa Romeo was not influenced by the player in a 2 year simulated career. It was completely AI controlled. If you play as you suggest, then you would most likely fall behind the other teams in this year's game. 

I didn't play last years' game but am seriously considering going out and getting this one but the ridiculous speed in upgrades along with the driver transfer issue is really putting me off.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I think the point is that the AI managed to nearly max out in the second season with an Alfa Romeo. So it’s not about the R&D of your own team. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Koekenbakker28 said:

I think the point is that the AI managed to nearly max out in the second season with an Alfa Romeo. So it’s not about the R&D of your own team. 

Yes thats the point.

7 hours ago, jrod22145 said:

I really like this idea! Kinda like Motorsport Manager has a race difficulty and R&D difficulty which also makes all the other teams better and more efficient at R&D.

Side note: is anybody else noticing that the R&D trees are the same.  I might just be my imagination especially since I didn’t do a career with Alfa last year and it’s my only team so far this year.  But so far as I remember my tree looks pretty similar to the one Ben had when he did his Alfa career on YouTube.  I could be wrong, and honestly to me it doesn’t make a difference really.  I’m just curious if I’ve got some sort of Mandela effect thing going on or it’s real haha!

Each team has it's own R&D tree. It's possible the trees just got copied over from 2018.

are you guys who are maxing out R&D doing all the practice programs and getting basically max R&D points for each race weekend? if so then yeah your R&D is gonna go pretty quickly.

just do less practice programs. personally i find doing all of them a bit annoying anyway.

if R&D was too slow and everyone was required to do all the practice programs and get max points for R&D every race weekend i guarantee you people would be complaining about that. 

53 minutes ago, Tranzitive said:

are you guys who are maxing out R&D doing all the practice programs and getting basically max R&D points for each race weekend? if so then yeah your R&D is gonna go pretty quickly.

just do less practice programs. personally i find doing all of them a bit annoying anyway.

if R&D was too slow and everyone was required to do all the practice programs and get max points for R&D every race weekend i guarantee you people would be complaining about that.

Like previous quotes above, it's not just the player's R&D but also AI. Yes for the player just don't spend points or do certain practices, etc but this has no affect on AI teams who will all fly passed you and you'll be the worst team. It all needs a slight slow down.

OK. Sorry I completely missed that it was the ai they got maxed out. I my career it would have been great if all the ai had maxed out the same time as me, would have led to some crazy fast and close racing at 230mph + on straights! In this scenario it makes the career a complete fail sadly. If I had the choice I'd rule out point upgrades entirely as in real life the teams upgrade cars whatever the drivers performance. I'd like random upgrades for all teams but at an even pace so I can just get on and race without the headache of being in charge of engineering and research as well. That belongs in a management sim not a racer IMO. 

2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

OK. Sorry I completely missed that it was the ai they got maxed out. I my career it would have been great if all the ai had maxed out the same time as me, would have led to some crazy fast and close racing at 230mph + on straights! In this scenario it makes the career a complete fail sadly. If I had the choice I'd rule out point upgrades entirely as in real life the teams upgrade cars whatever the drivers performance. I'd like random upgrades for all teams but at an even pace so I can just get on and race without the headache of being in charge of engineering and research as well. That belongs in a management sim not a racer IMO. 

If we did that then we 'd be back to where we were before as people would then skip practice as there would be no point to it the reason why they gave us the practic eprograms was t ogiv ethings t d oin the practice sessions because the types of programs ew do in those sessions are similar to what the real drivers do. I kind of enjo ythe practice programs and the challenge of passing them to earn resource points. I personally think that CM made a good design decision there when creating them back on 2016