F1 cars have no grip and no downforce

Only here? I'm using the same setups from 17 or 18, but there's no response from the cars. I have tried other setups and very different aproaches, but things become even worse. Looks like i'm driving a touring car or something like that. Not only that, but I need to brake 20 or 25 meters before than 2018 version or even real F1 cars.

I'm a PC user and I have a wheel. No assists.

For me the games is unplayable now. I'm wondering if some of you guys are have the same feeling. Friends in other forum are having the same feeling.

Edited by RodrigoMendes
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

What do you mean unplayable, have you a recording of one of your laps? 

Have you tried a few timed sessions without using 17 or 18 setups, stick t the default setups and check?

3 minutes ago, Gysepy said:

What do you mean unplayable, have you a recording of one of your laps? 

Have you tried a few timed sessions without using 17 or 18 setups, stick t the default setups and check?

I've tried every setup you can imagine. Things gone much worse than my setups from 2018 game. So default setup is worse.

Unplayable is not like impossible to drive, unplayable in a way that these cars are not F1 cars. They have no downforce and no grip. Definitely there's something wrong with handling model. More and more players are saying the same on many other forums that I'm reading now.

I will wait for update.

Edited by RodrigoMendes
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, RodrigoMendes said:

I've tried every setup you can imagine. Things gone much worse than my setups from 2018 game. So default setup is worse.

Unplayable is not like impossible to drive, unplayable in a way that these cars are not F1 cars. They have no downforce and no grip. Definitely there's something wrong with handling model. More and more players are saying the same on many other forums that I'm reading now.

I will wait for update.

But you can do more or less realistic lap times. I just did a 1:22 at monza in quali. I agree that the cars a harder to get a lap time out of than 2018 and they are more difficult to drive, but surely that's good thing.,at least I think so. 

Just now, Schwartzwelder said:

But you can do more or less realistic lap times. I just did a 1:22 at monza in quali. I agree that the cars a harder to get a lap time out of than 2018 and they are more difficult to drive, but surely that's good thing.,at least I think so. 

I don't think the game is harder to drive. Pretty much the same thing, even better since the cars now have a better response to player's wheel. The only problem is the grip. The lack of downforce. Looks like a F2 cars, touring, etc. And there's something on the brakes too.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, RodrigoMendes said:

I don't think the game is harder to drive. Pretty much the same thing, even better since the cars now have a better response to player's wheel. The only problem is the grip. The lack of downforce. Looks like a F2 cars, touring, etc. And there's something on the brakes too.

I think there is less downforce because the devs anticipated the front wing changes for 2019. But no way is the game unplayable as you've said. The fact that you've said that makes me think you have some weird bug because it doesn't align with my experince. 

Also what do you mean there is something on the brakes?

Edited by Schwartzwelder

1 minute ago, Schwartzwelder said:

I think there is less downforce because the devs anticipated the front wing changes for 2019. But no way is the game unplayable as you've said. The fact that you've said that makes me think you have some weird bug because it doesn't align with my experince. 

Also what do you mean there is something on the brakes?

You understand unplayable in a wrong way. Like I say, cars are even easier to drive than last year.

About brakes, the game forces you to brake much earlier than the ideal spot. 

2 minutes ago, RodrigoMendes said:

You understand unplayable in a wrong way. Like I say, cars are even easier to drive than last year.

About brakes, the game forces you to brake much earlier than the ideal spot. 

That's strange because I found the opposite. And I can actually brake a little later than in f1 2018. The handling model is very different to f1 2018 though and it does feel very different at first and you have to change the way drive accordingly.

Basically the way you drove in f1 2018 won't work anymore, especially if you were one of those people who used max ballast at the rear to rotate the car into the corners. That was very unrealistic and I'm glad its gone. As a result you now have to rotate the car properly ie. with weight transfer and trail braking. 

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Schwartzwelder said:

That's strange because I found the opposite. And I can actually brake a little later than in f1 2018. The handling model is very different to f1 2018 though and it does feel very different at first and you have to change the way drive accordingly.

Basically the way you drove in f1 2018 won't work anymore, especially if you were one of those people who used max ballast at the rear to rotate the car into the corners. That was very unrealistic and I'm glad its gone. As a result you now have to rotate the car properly ie. with weight transfer and trail braking. 

Are you driving with a wheel and no assists? 

Yep it ain’t f1 2018 rebranded as 2019 the changes are there and make it challenging enough to be considered a new game.  Forget 2018 and just plug away at it until it clicks with you

• Agree 3

33 minutes ago, RodrigoMendes said:

Are you driving with a wheel and no assists? 

Yes, with wheel and no assists. I have increased the brake saturation a bit though, which makes the braking stronger, but obviously easier to lock up.

C'mon guys, you're not talking with a guy that play only F1 games or don't have experience with simulators. I'm competitive on Assetto or iRacing. Nothing to do with driving style. There's no such thing. Or you know how to drive or you don't. I know. I'm not talking that I'm a wonderful sim driver, but i'm very decent one specially with really low time to spent on it.

Cars just don't turn here. Maybe a bug, I don't know, never experienced this in my life. Worst experience ever. No grip and no downforce. Very odd. I will try DX12, go figure...

Are you guys have 100% sure that you're talking about 100% no assists mode? Because it's REALLY uncommon.

@Schwartzwelder You're talking about brake pressure or another setup? I always use 100% on brake pressure in all sims. Have tried to use less than 100%, things gone even worst like i expected.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, RodrigoMendes said:

C'mon guys, you're not talking with a guy that play only F1 games or don't have experience with simulators. I'm competitive on Assetto or iRacing. Nothing to do with driving style. There's no such thing. Or you know how to drive or you don't. I know. I'm not talking that I'm a wonderful sim driver, but i'm very decent one specially with really low time to spent on it.

Cars just don't turn here. Maybe a bug, I don't know, never experienced this in my life. Worst experience ever. No grip and no downforce. Very odd. I will try DX12, go figure...

Are you guys have 100% sure that you're talking about 100% no assists mode? Because it's REALLY uncommon.

@Schwartzwelder You're talking about brake pressure or another setup? I always use 100% on brake pressure in all sims. Have tried to use less than 100%, things gone even worst like i expected.

I'm talking about the control setup within the actual game. Alternatively you can increase brake pressure in the actual car setup menu. You can basically make the brakes so strong that you'll lock up with hardly any effort. 

Also ive been sim racing since the late 90s so I'm far from inexperienced, and ive played them all except i racing, so I know what I'm talking about. My guess is that the problem for you is not a lack of downforce, but a lack of rearward ballast. You simply can't chuck the car in and have it rotate into the corner like you could in earlier f1 games. Consequently you need to drive with sensitivity and finesse now, especially on braking and corner entry. 

If you don't believe me, have a look at youtubers and see how sharp their turn-ins are and how fast they're lapping. There really should not be a problem unless you have some kind of weird bug.

Edited by Schwartzwelder
  • Agree 1

The cars are harder to drive, but much more rewarding when you get it right. I believe many people are having problems getting lap times up, but we all have to adjust the way we drive, I race with a club sport and load cell pedal, after my first few laps I switched my pedal load to 95k now I’m playing with brake pressures to find the sweet spot, it certainly feels that this game has moved much more toward simulation. When that happens you’re lap times move more towards realism, for instance my lap time at Silverstone on assetto corsa is vastly slower than in 2018, and that is because the physics are more realistic. And you really have to dial in setup and fundamentally change you’re driving style, to improve. The more realistic the simulation the more you appreciate what a racing driver does, so practice and enjoy.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Schwartzwelder said:

I did immediately think OP came from someone who previously benefited from high ballast settings. I get this game sometime in the middle of next week. As someone who has not depended on ballast I can give my thoughts on the game's handling then.

• Agree 1

The same fact I tried and posted too...so a great understeer that I have to put 1 gear and hardly turn...

I can confirm that the lap  time is not realistic especially in a career. I'm driving without assists at 101% The best qualifying time is 1.23.500. My is Renault's 1.24.900

This year HAM 1.20.486

But I'm thinking that Codemasters is better not touching because things will be worse.

Edited by IvanoZ023

11 minutes ago, IvanoZ023 said:

I can confirm that the circle of time is not realistic especially in a career. I'm driving without a driver at 101% The best qualifying time is 1.23.500. My is Renault's 1.24.900

Why isn’t it realistic? Maybe you have to lower the AI to match their times. 

3 hours ago, Zachrulez said:

I did immediately think OP came from someone who previously benefited from high ballast settings. I get this game sometime in the middle of next week. As someone who has not depended on ballast I can give my thoughts on the game's handling then.

From my point of view, i never used high ballast setups in 2018. For me 2019 feels fine. It is a bit harder and you can feel the lack of downforce, which is related to pre season testing. Codemaster says they look into it and they will balance the downforce a bit, because pre season they couldn’t know that the teams are already faster, also with simplified front wing. 

If you think you are to fast, than raise the AI. The overall car performances didn’t reflect the actual F1. It will be balanced afterwards. 

35 minutes ago, IvanoZ023 said:

I can confirm that the lap  time is not realistic especially in a career. I'm driving without assists at 101% The best qualifying time is 1.23.500. My is Renault's 1.24.900

This year HAM 1.20.486

But I'm thinking that Codemasters is better not touching because things will be worse.

TRL limitless on YouTube jus did a low 1:04 in Austria with no assists. Leclerk's pole was a low 1:03 in real life, so people are already getting very close and the game has only been out for a few days.

• Agree 2

Sounds like some of the Self Pro Claimed "Pro's" have had a wake up call, YOUR NOT ALL THAT & A BAG OF POTATOE CHIPS, Your BS tunes have be NERFED 🤣

Codemasters Kudos!

Am a simulation driver with no assits, PLEASE 🤣

Edited by AScott
I have trouble with spelling, Grammar
  • Agree 2

I was feeling the same as you do now. IDK what happened but i'm now feeling faster. Not just because I'm handling the game. The car feels softer and grippi-er. I can confirm it took me 2 laps to beat my Silverstone lap, which I made it last night and spent 3 hours to beat it with no success.

1 hour ago, Akkan74 said:

If you think you are to fast, than raise the AI. The overall car performances didn’t reflect the actual F1. It will be balanced afterwards. 

No, that's the best I can, otherwise I will not be able to catch time in practice. I'm talking about real life, the difference is 2.5 sec.