Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 cars have no grip and no downforce

1 hour ago, Schwartzwelder said:

TRL limitless on YouTube jus did a low 1:04 in Austria with no assists. Leclerk's pole was a low 1:03 in real life, so people are already getting very close and the game has only been out for a few days.

Time trial or career?

16 minutes ago, IvanoZ023 said:

Time trial or career?

I don't know. Probably time trial. But why does it matter? The point is that the cars in the game can lap very quickly indeed when driven properly. Besides TRL is not even close to the really fast guys. Im sure there are guys out there who can shave another second or more off that time without breaking a sweat.

14 hours ago, Zachrulez said:

I did immediately think OP came from someone who previously benefited from high ballast settings. I get this game sometime in the middle of next week. As someone who has not depended on ballast I can give my thoughts on the game's handling then.

Always hated high ballast setups. Maximum 7. So this is not the problem. I noticed that they change the brakes a lot. After a lot of laps, I can see that maybe I need to understand better how this brakes works to make it good. I'm changing the differential too and it makes a great progress. But comparing how F1 real cars brakes and how F1 2019 brakes, i can say that they in a wrong path now. You can see it very easily when you look at a video on youtube from a real F1 car, with new media HUD, showing the throttle and braking. The lift off on F1 2019 game have a much lower window than real F1 cars. It's really hard to get used at it, but I think i'm getting better. 1:21:6 on Melbourne now. 0.5 better than yesterday. Let's se..

I love simulators, but one of the things that I always loved on F1 games - now that i have 34 years - is how you can just came after a hard day at work, sit on the chair, put your wheel, use some generic setup to low or high downforce and enjoy it. I don't know if I will play this game like I played others F1 games. For me it's a bad change and F1 is going to a wrong direction. Lasts games had a good balance between the level of simulation and fun, specially from 16 to 17 version. Now I don't have time to spent on a gaming that will demands time to get used. Work, wife, friends... Really sad since I love to follow F1 since ever.

21 hours ago, RodrigoMendes said:

C'mon guys, you're not talking with a guy that play only F1 games or don't have experience with simulators. I'm competitive on Assetto or iRacing. Nothing to do with driving style. There's no such thing. Or you know how to drive or you don't. I know. I'm not talking that I'm a wonderful sim driver, but i'm very decent one specially with really low time to spent on it.

Cars just don't turn here. Maybe a bug, I don't know, never experienced this in my life. Worst experience ever. No grip and no downforce. Very odd. I will try DX12, go figure...

Are you guys have 100% sure that you're talking about 100% no assists mode? Because it's REALLY uncommon.

@Schwartzwelder You're talking about brake pressure or another setup? I always use 100% on brake pressure in all sims. Have tried to use less than 100%, things gone even worst like i expected.

No assists -  braking is fine and turn in is fine.  Oversteer on corner exit is tricky on times but that is my fat right foot.

Braking is more like real life do 100% input for half the braking zone and then reducing pressure into the apex. If you are not slowing down then you probably are not doing 100% for long enough and if you are locking up you are probably keeping the pressure too high too late into the braking zone

Haven't had a lot of time to mess with it, but you really have to exaggerate trail braking to get them to turn.  Much much more than any other open wheel car. It almost drives like Prototypes than open wheel.  

On a wheel, turn into saturation up to 90% helped a lot with the feel, too. YMMV

Well I reckon the laptimes are down due to lack of upgrades, you start with a slower car to get used to the new handling model and slowly build up the speed with both your driving and upgrades. You should match the real-life lap times in season 2 just with the upgrades.

In regards to no grip and downforce, dont know... I find this handling model way more sticky than 2018, no issues with running harder setups and brake bias on 62% with very rare lockups (no assists). Ran 8-7 stiffness with 6-6 wings, 3-3 ride height and 60/62% brake bias in Austria yesterday, the car (RBTR) felt just amazing and super responsive to drive and as a bonus, the tyre wear was just epic.

Also, it looks like the 2019 cars do not respond well to soft suspension settings, there is a lot of aerodynamical instability, however I am driving on a pad, not sure what the wheel feels like.

8 minutes ago, RaysDenn said:

Well I reckon the laptimes are down due to lack of upgrades, you start with a slower car to get used to the new handling model and slowly build up the speed with both your driving and upgrades. You should match the real-life lap times in season 2 just with the upgrades.

In regards to no grip and downforce, dont know... I find this handling model way more sticky than 2018, no issues with running harder setups and brake bias on 62% with very rare lockups (no assists). Ran 8-7 stiffness with 6-6 wings, 3-3 ride height and 60/62% brake bias in Austria yesterday, the car (RBTR) felt just amazing and super responsive to drive and as a bonus, the tyre wear was just epic.

Also, it looks like the 2019 cars do not respond well to soft suspension settings, there is a lot of aerodynamical instability, however I am driving on a pad, not sure what the wheel feels like.

Stiffer suspension and ARB settings definitely feel better on wheel. Just more responsive and tighter with a better feel for what the tyres are doing. 

23 minutes ago, Schwartzwelder said:

Stiffer suspension and ARB settings definitely feel better on wheel. Just more responsive and tighter with a better feel for what the tyres are doing. 

Interesting, David Greco posted a bunch of setups on Twitter, all with a very soft suspension, usually around 3-3 etc. This is what I've been using so far as well and I haven't even tried stiff suspension settings because of it, as loose seemed like the way to go.

14 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

Interesting, David Greco posted a bunch of setups on Twitter, all with a very soft suspension, usually around 3-3 etc. This is what I've been using so far as well and I haven't even tried stiff suspension settings because of it, as loose seemed like the way to go.

I suspect that soft settings are a bit quicker, at least for most people. However, for me going a bit stiffer feels so much better that's what I do most of the time. I haven't yet done enough testing to see if I would be quicker with the softer ones but for offline single player I don't really care as it's all about fun for me. 

Yeah the cars seem to be less stable than they were in F1 2018. Nowhere better to realize that than Australia where some of the previously easier high speed corners now require a lot more precision to get through without losing the car. As far as overall pace though I feel like I'm about in the same starting place as F1 2017 and 2018 though. So I guess I feel kind of mixed about it? 😐

On a side note it's nice the see that the tyres cool way more on straights now after last year's complaints.

I completely agree with RodrigoMendes.... No grip, no downforce, very complicated to turn, I need to brake much earlier than before. And my lap times are much slower. It looks like a bug.

I lost all the fun of playing F1 game...

PS4 with steering wheel

On 6/29/2019 at 11:50 PM, Schwartzwelder said:

But you can do more or less realistic lap times. I just did a 1:22 at monza in quali. I agree that the cars a harder to get a lap time out of than 2018 and they are more difficult to drive, but surely that's good thing.,at least I think so. 

No, you can't. I can do a 1.22.0 in Monza but this year the pole time (assuming dry) will be in the 1.18's at least, maybe even a 1.17. In F12016 I could do a 21.7 and the pole time then was a 21.1. Monza is a high speed track which is like 80% full throttle. Clearly the F12019 car's DON'T have enough top end power/straight line speed, because suddenly I'm 4 seconds off and 80% of the lap is full throttle so where pray tell am I meant to make up the time??? 

On 6/30/2019 at 9:59 AM, Akkan74 said:

Why isn’t it realistic? Maybe you have to lower the AI to match their times. 

Whats difficult to understand? At 100% the pole time should be sensibly close to the RL time. As it was in previous years. Now suddently this game is 3-4 sec slower per track and the time is being lost mostly in a straight line and a bit in high speed sectors. The opposite of RL's performance gains. 

On 6/30/2019 at 10:26 AM, Schwartzwelder said:

TRL limitless on YouTube jus did a low 1:04 in Austria with no assists. Leclerk's pole was a low 1:03 in real life, so people are already getting very close and the game has only been out for a few days.

The top guys race at speeds well over 100% AI... and Austria is a short track so you can add 0.5 sec so he's nearly 2 seconds off and Austria is actually one of the more realistic tracks v RL times (along with Canada and Baku weirdly). I'd like to see Limitless get anywhere near the 1.15.5 Pole time in Spain or the 1.28.3 in France!!! Not a snowballs chance in hell. 

On 7/1/2019 at 9:54 AM, RaysDenn said:

Well I reckon the laptimes are down due to lack of upgrades,

This is factually wrong. The TT car is basically an optimal car on an optimal track and it's a fixed thing. So in comparison these cars are slower per lap than TT cars in 2017. Whereas RL cars are quicker. End of/

42 minutes ago, Rinehart27 said:

Whats difficult to understand? At 100% the pole time should be sensibly close to the RL time. As it was in previous years. Now suddently this game is 3-4 sec slower per track and the time is being lost mostly in a straight line and a bit in high speed sectors. The opposite of RL's performance gains. 

Whats so difficult to understand that the game performance based on data prior to the season, where everyone thought the cars would be slower this year due to regulation changes. Codemasters already confirmed to bring out a performance patch.

On the other hand i never read a statement from Codemasters that 100% AI is based on real life.

The post i quoted based on carreer mode which can't reflect the real performance at the beginning. After development there will be faster times.

Point is, the fastest AI should be matching real life times on 110 AI (should be called 100, but whatever) before any upgrades. And they don't, not even close.

Anyway, someone who was on the beta told me that they will be increasing the downforce in an update as the current levels were what they estimated due to the regulation changes, which was obviously wrong. So no worries on that front.

Also, using James' 1:04's on time trial, which also has no tyre overheating as well as no worn components and full engine power with full disregard for doing 7-11 races with components, as well as 100% developed track, as to "good enough" despite still being over a second off the real pole is laughable. The track has like 7 corners, while the problem is clearly with too little downforce.

You guys crack me up. :classic_biggrin: