F1 2019 - Skill Rating system broken [SG]

Question

Version: 1.04

Platform: Playstation 4, Xbox and PC

Mode: Ranked Online (5 laps and 25% distance) 

Whenever I'm playing online ranked mode, I'm getting way too low amount of skill points when I win. I know it depends on amount of players in lobby, but for example, in 10 player lobby, when I finish 4, I'm getting like 10 points max. And what's worse, it doesn't matter if I drive 5 laps or 25% distance. But now the worst part. If you place somewhere in the back, game takes way too much points from you. Once I was driving on 1sf position and I've got error... I lost about 300 skill points. This is ridiculous and not even my fault. 

TL:DR: We lose way too much skill points for stuff like being rammed, destroyed or even from game errors and we are earning way too low. Stuff like this shouldn't even happen... Going for the achievement Pure Gold itself is pain in the ass. At least give us ability to improve skill rating in unranked matches while playing with our friends. 

Sorry to say this, but the game is once again broken in online mode at the start. Year after year the same thing happens over and over again. I think, like the rest of us, that it's time to do something with this finally. 

We came up with few solutions (with forums help of course) that can help us and dev team to decide what to do with this problem:

Significantly increase rewarding points and lower the negative ones. We are being punished way too hard right now. Points are also really slowing down when around 1800 points. We are winning like couple of points (if we are lucky) and losing tons of them (when not lucky). 

Positive points for more places than just above 50%. Sometimes we even get negative points for placing much higher than half of the grid and we're still getting negative points. It's really depressing to when you're being punished for your hard work. 

- Completely remove negative points for being destroyed, disconnections and game errors. It's not our fault, so we shouldn't be punished for such an accidents. No points won't hurt anybody and we can at least play and have fun without being worried that someone will ram us to the wall. 

- Give us ability to increase Skill Rating in Unranked races. We can play with friends and that way increase skill and than be matched with other players that know how to race. I'm mean, for real, nobody would mind that, right? 

- Lower requirements for the "Pure Gold" trophy/achievement. It's kinda linked to above points but it doesn't hurt to mention it. Right now it's really very unfair achievement. 

- I know this is not related strictly to the skill rating system, but please improve penalty system. It needs drastic updates, because right now there literally no penalty system at all. People can do whatever they want and there's no punishment. 

PS. 

Please, if you really want this problem to be fixed, spread the word and share link to this topic whenever you need. The more people will give their voice the more chances it will be fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 17

Hi @DarrenAH - there is another thread here which looks like the same issue: 

If could add any onto that thread that would be great. Bonus points for videos!

Thanks.

Another loss of points ... in the lobby for qualifying, I got disconnected and I thought "not a problem you don't lose points for dropping out in qualifying", searched ranked again and got into the same lobby. Wasn't in time for the race so I spectated, race ends and it cuts to the pits and what I assume is meant to be my car and the game is showing that I came in 11th (last)

After the podium cut-scene not graphic to show points or safety rank gain/loss, but low and behold back at the main menu I have lost another 50 points!

I'm not posting these things to complain each time I am posting them as I think it must be an issue with the game and the more information you guys have the better that chance you have of fixing them.

@HooIf you are seeing this as a broken game in this regard are you planning on some kind of compensatory gesture to the people who have stuck though this? I know it's a long shot but if you don't ask then you don't get. I don't think anyone cares much about the in-game "currency" as there isn't a whole lot to buy with it anyway, but if you could add something like 500 points to everyone that has played ranked MP between the launch and a certain date that would be something ... basically like Rockstar do when their online is broken at launch

Have purchased all f1 games and have platinum trophy for all, have also bought the special editions of the games over the years, but after the pure gold trophy of this years game,  I will never buy a Codemasters game again

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Hoo said:

Hi All,

Just a reminder that patch 1.09, which is going live today, should have the above changes in. Please note that there is also a weighting value used that should confer an advantage to non-assisted players in ranking evaluations versus players with assists. This is not intended to be punitive for assisted players, but should help non-assisted players rank up a little quicker when winning, or drop less if losing to assisted players.

Please continue to give us feedback on your experience with the skill ranking once 1.09 is live and I will ensure that the info goes to the dev team.

Thanks!

Good news here @Hoo, at least for those players still trying to get the Pure Gold. Will this patch address the lvl 50 issue for those of us who have passed Bronze 49? I know it’s a different thread, but I’ve been keenly following this. Managed to just about squeeze in to Pure Gold in the end!

59 minutes ago, ScreamLite said:

Good news here @Hoo, at least for those players still trying to get the Pure Gold. Will this patch address the lvl 50 issue for those of us who have passed Bronze 49? I know it’s a different thread, but I’ve been keenly following this. Managed to just about squeeze in to Pure Gold in the end!

I'm afraid not. That issue is back with the dev team to review.

Patch 1.09 is great news for the players who are struggling to get higher rankings and skillpoints. I've already got the trophy the hard way. But I am glad CM has listened to its community. Great work CM! Race on! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoo said:

Please note that there is also a weighting value used that should confer an advantage to non-assisted players in ranking evaluations versus players with assists. This is not intended to be punitive for assisted players, but should help non-assisted players rank up a little quicker when winning, or drop less if losing to assisted players.

Hi @Hoo

First... thanks for the update (and patch 1.09 for sure)!!!

Second, to benefit of the weight value for non-assists players, should all assists be disabled or as soon as we have at least 1 activated we are excluded ?!?!

Thanks again!

21 minutes ago, TotalBeerFest said:

Hi @Hoo

First... thanks for the update (and patch 1.09 for sure)!!!

Second, to benefit of the weight value for non-assists players, should all assists be disabled or as soon as we have at least 1 activated we are excluded ?!?!

Thanks again!

The weighting is adjusted per assist, with different weightings per assist. Traction control has highest weighting. These values are small and intended to influence the skill ratings over many races, so won't make a significant difference in a single race. The various changes that we've made will should make things better for all players, so no need to rush to using no assists too early! I'd recommend just using your preferred settings for the time being and see how the re-balanced system works over the next week or two.

• Agree 1

Good morning!This morning i was just curious to try the new patch 1.09. I have to say that its well balanced. In a race with 6 people i finished in 3rd place and gained 5 pts!! Then i did another race in a lobbie with 17 people and after being rammed..i finished in 8th place and i lost 35 points👌🏻. I have the safety rank A and constantly play with B or C ranks...

@DarrenAH - The changes do also reduce the increases in rank, but the overall direction towards a player's actual rank should be clearer and should should get you to that rank in fewer races than it took before (despite the increases being smaller).

We are still looking at a bunch of other issues, so I'll let you all know once there is more info on these.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoo said:

@DarrenAH - The changes do also reduce the increases in rank, but the overall direction towards a player's actual rank should be clearer and should should get you to that rank in fewer races than it took before (despite the increases being smaller).

We are still looking at a bunch of other issues, so I'll let you all know once there is more info on these.

No worries, thanks for the quick response

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hoo said:

I forgot to add @Hoo that as you have decreased the points loss but also decreased the points gain it doesn't really fix the issue of the overall difference between the two. What I mean is that if before you could gain 10 points for a good finish but lose 50 for a bad one, changing that to gain 5 for a good finish but losing 25 for a bad one hasn't really done much.

It seems like a bad race means you lose less points, which looks like a good thing to the player... but if the amount of wins/good finishes needed to regain those points is the same as before then nothing has changed really

Do you see what I mean?

Edited by DarrenAH
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DarrenAH said:

I forgot to add @Hoo that as you have decreased the points loss but also decreased the points gain it doesn't really fix the issue of the overall difference between the two. What I mean is that if before you could gain 10 points for a good finish but lose 50 for a bad one, changing that to gain 5 for a good finish but losing 25 for a bad one hasn't really done much.

It seems like a bad race means you lose less points, which looks like a good thing to the player... but if the amount of wins/good finishes needed to regain those points is the same as before then nothing has changed really

Do you see what I mean?

@Hoo I totally agree with these words ...!

After doing some tests too, despite all your efforts, I was expecting to see my progression grow up faster, but that's not the case. After a dozen of races in a +/- 2 hours session, I finished with a differential of +5 ... at this rate, I have for a full year taking for granted that the players will continue to play.

Currently, the average of online players is around 50 each time I connect, last night it was down to 38... Having an "S" ranking, I find myself all the time with the same bunch of players, but unfortunately, they are always faster than me and it is out of the question that I am starting to cut corners or cause collisions to lower my rankings. I manage to get lucky on some races, but most of the time, I lose points... I drive only with traction control set to "Medium" and ERS to "Automatic".

As mentioned previously by other players, nothing has really changed ... Yes, I did not have any big points losses, but I do not progress either!

Here is a summary of some of my previous races: Spain (-2), Austria (-3), Canada (+4) !!!

2019-08-21_9-07-43_PM-hpwxfbga.thumb.png.ea74fec8dc7c2780b6761df2ae099e2f.png

Spanish.png

Austrian.png

Canada.png

Edited by TotalBeerFest

We haven't just lowered the points for everyone, but have adjusted some other numbers that adjust player-to-player ratings to help move players in a better general direction. Please keep adding your feedback though.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Can confirm that after playing three races this evening and gaining 5/6 places a time that points system is shocking.

lobby of 12, from back of pack to 4th twice...couple points awarded, if this is how it is then that “pure gold” trophy will take an eternity! 

1 hour ago, Britpoint said:

The anomalies will still hurt your rating, but the impact should be far less,

Out of interest when I’ve hit another player be it lack of concentration or a bunched up first corner the algorithm obviously knows I’m at fault, however from what I’ve seen if I’ve been the one shunted my skill points decrease.

wouldnt it be a case of implementing something that associates to the instigator of the offence to lose skill points as opposed to the current setup of the i fortune guy getting hit? 

I cut a corner, I’m penalised, I hit another I’m penalised, illegal manoeuvres I’m penalised......shunted by a third party, skill rating penalty, I fail to see how that would have been a good idea from the off? Unless ofcourse the skill involved to NOT get hit is at question but I guess that’s a whole other issue. 

I did 1 race, player lobby of 10; ended in 4th place and lost 10 points. I did expect to at least earn a few points for ending in the top half, but to my suprise i lost 10 instead

1 hour ago, Quickey said:

I did 1 race, player lobby of 10; ended in 4th place and lost 10 points. I did expect to at least earn a few points for ending in the top half, but to my suprise i lost 10 instead

I had really high hopes for this patch, but seeing this is the case the devs clearly have no idea what we're on about. I don't mind a trophy being difficult, but this is borderline impossible apart for the <1% that wins every 9 out of 10 races. I wonder if the devs have tried themselves to obtain this legit, I bet they didn't. If they say they're using the data to measure things I sure as hell hope they don't mean the obtained trophy percentage, cause many of them 'cheated' their way to it. Also this 'fix' still doesn't factor in the fact that in a few months from now there'll be hardly any people online and it'll be virtually impossible to gain enough points for this.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ochoco said:

TBH I think they know what they're on about.

This achievement / Trophy is skill related, not something that can be attained by grinding, but by being better than the vast majority of players you race against. To improve your rank you've got to be better than your opponents - thats how they deterim your skill level which is logical.

They've fixed what the main issue was (major points loss for bad results)

And how have people "Cheated" to get gold?

Just read back a few pages. And sure I get it's skill related, but if a 4th place in a 10 man lobby means an actual loss of points it's way disproportional imo. And again, how will people obtain this in a few months when you'll be happy to get a lobby of 5? If this trophy is just for the elite tier players that's fine too, they'll just have to accept that part of their fanbase is going to lose motivation and possibly (probably) will move on from their games. I will compliment them for responding in here and actually trying though, that's sth a lot of devs can learn from.

Edited by robinworldwide
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, DarrenAH said:

Chances are you were in a lobby of people that were all lower in skill ranking that you, another problem in my opinion.

Due to how the system works you gain points by beating higher ranked players than you, or in a lobby of all ranks lower than you then you must win in order to score some (if any) points

Actually, it was a lobby with all B rank players with around the same skill level as me so i am curious how many points were gained/lost for the person who ended in 3rd place

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hoo said:

We haven't just lowered the points for everyone, but have adjusted some other numbers that adjust player-to-player ratings to help move players in a better general direction. Please keep adding your feedback though.

I had responded to this before I went to work but I must not have hit the submit button, here is what I remember from what was in that post.

What you are saying is that not only have you lowered the points for loss and gain (meaning this is something you have done) but you have also adjusted some other things that will allow people to gain/lose an extra 1 or 2 points, maybe, depending on their assist settings ... OK, thanks??

I know this thread isn't the be-all and end-all of requests for changes or you may have wanted to add these assist related adjustments for a while now but to be honest I don't see how that would help in the ultimate quest to fix the more significant problems inherent in the skill rating system as it stands.

The OP's points are all still completely valid even after this patch. I realise that this is probably the first patch that you were able to submit any kind of changes at all to the system and probably one of the easiest ways was to alter the calculation done in the background that awards the points, but as stated earlier changing both gain and loss is the same as changing nothing at all.

You have said that you are looking into other issues and I hope that the some of the suggestions in the OP are topics of discussion at CM HQ when wanting to tackle these issues. Look forward to hearing about further changes in the coming weeks

Edited by DarrenAH
Didn't see my response as I had it set to order by votes not date sorry

37 minutes ago, Quickey said:

Actually, it was a lobby with all B rank players with around the same skill level as me so i am curious how many points were gained/lost for the person who ended in 3rd place

The B rank is your safety rating and has nothing to do with the skill ranking system, its mostly just used for matchmaking from what I have seen.

It may have looked like they are the same skill rating (silver 1 or silver 2, etc.) however if you are at 1650 points as silver 2 they might have been at 1450 but still show as silver 2

7 hours ago, KRASHOVARIDE said:

Can confirm that after playing three races this evening and gaining 5/6 places a time that points system is shocking.

lobby of 12, from back of pack to 4th twice...couple points awarded, if this is how it is then that “pure gold” trophy will take an eternity! 

Finishing position relative to grid position does not factor into the points system ... as far as I am aware

6 hours ago, KRASHOVARIDE said:

Out of interest when I’ve hit another player be it lack of concentration or a bunched up first corner the algorithm obviously knows I’m at fault, however from what I’ve seen if I’ve been the one shunted my skill points decrease.

wouldnt it be a case of implementing something that associates to the instigator of the offence to lose skill points as opposed to the current setup of the i fortune guy getting hit? 

I cut a corner, I’m penalised, I hit another I’m penalised, illegal manoeuvres I’m penalised......shunted by a third party, skill rating penalty, I fail to see how that would have been a good idea from the off? Unless ofcourse the skill involved to NOT get hit is at question but I guess that’s a whole other issue. 

You don't lose skill rating points from being hit or hitting other people, only your safety rating is effected by the penalties you may get from these things happening.

Skill rating points are gained/lost depending on your finishing position in race, you are compared to each of the other racers and the system figures out whether you should lose or gain points and how many on a 1 to 1 basis for each racer in the field. You aren't losing skill points for penalties from corner cutting or collisions

10 hours ago, DarrenAH said:

Even though you may not lose as many points due to these types of results, because of the decrease in points gained it can still wipe out all the gains made from the previous 10 normal races ... gaining 10 points in 1.08 is the same as gaining 5 points in 1.09 if the anomalous result means you lose 50 points in 1.08 but only 25 points in 1.09. I'm hoping you see where I'm coming from, it's less but it's still the same.

What we're hoping to see from this update is a little different. More like going from +10 / -50 to +5 /-15, to use your example (not actual numbers, of course). The ratio of the 'extreme' losses should be more favourable, and that's one of the data points we'll be keeping an eye on to ensure things have changed in the way we expect them to.

We are still looking at the other concerns with the system, but we have to be cautious in the way we approach them. I'm sure you can appreciate it would be very easy to overcompensate for one issue or another if we're not careful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Britpoint said:

What we're hoping to see from this update is a little different. More like going from +10 / -50 to +5 /-15, to use your example (not actual numbers, of course). The ratio of the 'extreme' losses should be more favourable, and that's one of the data points we'll be keeping an eye on to ensure things have changed in the way we expect them to.

We are still looking at the other concerns with the system, but we have to be cautious in the way we approach them. I'm sure you can appreciate it would be very easy to overcompensate for one issue or another if we're not careful.

Thanks for the clarification on that. I do understand where you are coming from in your need to take small steps when altering the system. My concern is that at some point development will eventually cease on this game and with how the production process works taking steps that are too small may result in running out out time before being able to implement the system you are wanting to achieve.

That said I must, and do, trust that you guys know what you are doing, what you want to achieve and how long it should take to get there.

Not sure if you saw the edit I made this morning in my last post but I'm sure you can appreciate that from our perspective in 1.09 achieving 2000 points for gold rating is now more difficult and could take many more races to achieve than before unless you win in large lobbies regularly. Could there be a possibility of altering the rating thresholds to accommodate the new gains and losses that are now in place?

• Agree 1