Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

F1 Tyre Poll

I say yes, the battles between Bridgestone/Michelin were epic and different conditions suited a particular tyre, wet starts leading to a dry finish to the race were awesome, the different paces of the tyres in different conditions brought much needed excitement throughout the whole grid. F1 is pretty stale just now

I voted no. I think that one tyre supplier is fair for everyone as it gives everyone a completely level playing field, and I really can't be arsed to type any more reasons.

Voted no. If we have 2 manufactures, there will be one that is better than the other, it would happen, there is no way to prevent this. So everyone would flock to this better tyre. Then 2 manufactures is pointless.

Or if they put a limit on how many teams per tyre manufacture, well then it would just become seriously unfair on the teams forced to use the worse tyre,

And then, through development, the tyres would become what they were back in the early 00's, when they would just last forever, and ever and ever. Thus, totally removing the point of pitting and all strategy is thrown out of the window and stamped on. Everyone would just pit on the last lap to comply with the 2 compound tyre rule. Then we would have no more of these awesome slides, due to the extreme amounts of grip the manufacture would be forced to supply, so that they get customers. They would have no real way of stopping the manufactures from making better tyres.

Tyres are not the key to make F1 exciting. This is one factor, that needs to be equal and even for everyone.

The problem with putting two tyre manufacturers in to the sport at the moment is that the tyres are being deliberately built to degrade and wear out quickly. If another tyre manufacturer comes in and is asked to do the same thing, whichever company designs a tyres that degrades just that bit less than the opposition will inevitably have all the teams as customers. And if the FIA just unrestricted what the companies did with the tyres, as @Skiddyboy13‌ points out strategy will just be abolished with super grippy and durable tyres. Unless re-fuelling came back, which is how they got away with it in the early 2000's. So in conclusion, basically something fundamental would have to change with how F1 is at the moment to make two tyre manufacturers work.

Two manufactures so we won't have cheese wheels with Pirelli at the moment. :P
It's what the FIA want :/ Pirelli have done a stellar job with what they have been given. Obscure parameters for the tyres (Why would Pirelli ever want to make a tyre that degrades?!!!? ) and a somewhat large lack of real world testing just makes the job awfully difficult. We would be in the same situation with any other manufacture, as it's what the FIA wants.

I wouldn't consider the job they've done is stellar looking at how they completely messed up the tyres in 2013.

I wouldn't consider the job they've done is stellar looking at how they completely messed up the tyres in 2013.
With the situation they had, it really was.

How are they supposed to make tyres exactly how the FIA wants them without testing them?

Um no, Silverstone was an absolute farce for tyres. You cannot say Pirelli did a stunning job when they put the drivers at severe risk that weekend. For the most part they've done an OK job, I just wished they'd stick their neck out and produce more durable tyres.

Um no, Silverstone was an absolute farce for tyres. You cannot say Pirelli did a stunning job when they put the drivers at severe risk that weekend. For the most part they've done an OK job, I just wished they'd stick their neck out and produce more durable tyres.
As I keep saying, prior to Silverstone, they never had the chance to test the tyres to the same extent. Blame the FIA if anyone.

Pirelli signed up under the knowledge of how much testing they were able to do, and they had 7 race weekends and pre season testing to deal with. It was an embarrassment that they didn't identify issues with their tyres that forced them to back track onto the 2012 spec tyres. I hardly call that stellar.

Pirelli signed up under the knowledge of how much testing they were able to do, and they had 7 race weekends and pre season testing to deal with. It was an embarrassment that they didn't identify issues with their tyres that forced them to back track onto the 2012 spec tyres. I hardly call that stellar.
But they did try to solve then. Only for some of the teams to say 'no' and then prevent Pirelli from being able to do what wanted, simply because some teams had an advantage.

Yes they signed up under the knowledge, and perhaps they could of been more prepared, but they have tried to fix things. With the additional tyre tests and the special days totally dedicated to tyre testing.

Things are looking on the up for them.

I like it how it is right now, although it would be pretty interesting with more. But I really don't mind! :)

I honestly thought more people would have said yes. whilst I don't think the Pirelli tyres are that bad I was shocked they were forced into changing them after the british gp last year and reverted back to the favoured tyre of the red bull basically handing them the championship. I thought the tyre storm was a bit ott last year and was clearly something to do with the kerbs at the circuit as similar demands had already been placed on the same tyres with no blow ups or de-lams

No, I don't think going back to the era of concrete tyres would do any good, especially without re-fuelling... It would literally become a race to pole...

Voted yes as a level playing field for me isn't as important as good racing up and down the field. In the Schumi years the best competition was always had when you had Goodyear vs. Bridgestone or Michelin vs. Bridgestone. The one thing that would be needed would be to ensure that tyre manufacturers give teams a fair share of testing time when developing new tyres. That might hopefully avoid the situation like last time where Bridgestone and Ferrari basically just did the tyre for that car and it was no surprise that it didnt work on anything else. In the end if you could afford to you went with the Michelin with its wider working window.