Thoughts after 1 seasons in career

I just finished my first season of McLaren with 5 laps races and short qualifying and I must say, it was pretty hard. I've listed my thoughts in different sections below

Performance:

- I did not do any practice programs and also didn't always get the team goals (cause they were too high for McLaren). By the end of the season we had the slowest car and I think in total I did 5 engine upgrades, 1 chassis upgrade, 4 aero upgrades and 1 update for ICE wear.

- The AI however made massive progress. I ended up moving to Haas the next season and they did 9 engine upgrades, 7 aero upgrades (even though rules had changed), 8 chassis upgrades and a whopping 14 durability upgrades. Basically the AI is halfway maxing the tree.

Verdict: I think the users performance is fast enough, as hitting your goals would most likely result in the same position end of the season and any practice programs would bump you up. However, the AI development speed is way too fast IMO. At this rate AI is maxed out end of season 2 and moving to a top team would likely result in a useless R&D tree cause there's no options to choose from.

Racing:

- The AI is hard in defending lines and also on taking over, but mostly they're fair. You can pass them if you're quicker, but divebomding doesn't always work.

- Difference between AI in qualifying and race is too big, they're way too fast in qualy

- The AI is a little too slow in the wet, I finished 2nd in a rain race of 5 laps, that shouldn't be doable.

- The AI start is ridicules. As soon as I hit halfway 2nd gear they just take off like they have after burners on their rear wings. I tried many different things but nothing would work. Not sure if it's related to McLaren though...

Verdict: some fine tuning to do, but had some good races

Driver transfers:

- Besides the mid season swap from Kimi to Toro Rosso I'm satisfied with the transfers made. The only swap in top teams was Hulkenberg for Gasly and due to my move to Haas some other moves were triggered.

Verdict: based on 1 season I can't complain

What are your thoughts?

• Agree 1

It would be so much better if the prices of the upgrades for the player and the ai would be doubled. 

And here it is, you will most likely never get full maxed before season 5

The AI development speed and silly driver transfers are the main things that are putting me off from buying the game. 

I would play solely career mode and although I'm not the 'ultimate immersion' guy, I want some sense of realism and this really doesn't do it for me. I'm happy the op has had a positive driver transfer experience but I've read way too many horror stories to convince me to dip my hand in my pocket.

C'mon Codies, tone these things down a bit!

Posted (edited)

All i can say about your car performance is you are not doing any practice program and this were you gain all your upgrade mostly with team goals. I just finished canada grandprix and I have about the same upgrade as you and currently behind redbull in car performance and I am running mclaren too.

Edited by Punition

9 minutes ago, Punition said:

All i can say about your car performance is you are not doing any practice program and this were you gain all your upgrade mostly with team goals. I just finished canada grandprix and I have about the same upgrade as you and currently behind redbull in car performance and I am running mclaren too.

I know and I said I’m purposely doing it cause I don’t want to grow insanely fast with a bottom team. That said, it seems the AI is growing insanely fast and that seems to be the real issue.