Ai too op in baku in both race and qualifying. Anyine have similar issues?

Posted (edited)

Yeah, me too!

Decided to try a couple days ago the career mode, since the Online Championships were gone. Started with McLaren, AI 80%. All was fine in Australia, Bahrain and China. Scored top places. Now im struggling... Having a hard time getting out of the bottom of the table.

And i used to be good online in Baku...

Edited by Oaktr33

No. But Baku is a good track for me.
@Oaktr33 in the game Baku is one of the worst tracks for McLaren

That's probably it. That big straight... McLaren has no power!

• Haha 1

I'm glad to see it it's not just me then! Running the McLaren here and seriously lacking pace. But if others are struggling I'll just push through and be okay with the car not being as competitive in my head canon lol

I had more issues with the AI at China to be honest.  Renault, season 1....came in 6th at Baku (new power unit).  Which makes me think my ICE was probably the reason for such a poor performance at China.

From the practice sessions it seemed like I was running way less downforce than the game thought I should be.  I'd be behind the qualifying delat by 0.3 seconds by the time I hit the last straight, and end up just in front by the time I hit the finish line.

I think I'm running with Mclaren, so I have the issues. All 3 races before Baku were fine. I lost a lot of time in the Baku middle sector.

21 hours ago, DoctorTofu said:

I'm glad to see it it's not just me then! Running the McLaren here and seriously lacking pace. But if others are struggling I'll just push through and be okay with the car not being as competitive in my head canon lol

That’s one good thing about the up and down performances of some of the teams IRL this year.  You can just tell yourself that you couldn’t get the tires in the proper window and increase the immersion factor lol! I like to create a running story in my head of my own career mode too lol

Posted (edited)

I just finished Baku with the McLaren. I struggled a lot, but managed 10th place with a faulty gearbox and a damaged turbo charger. I was the slowest car on track on that runway by a good margin. Funny thing, the FP3 was on light rain and i was the fastest by a 3 sec margin! I wished for rain on Quali and Race but wasnt lucky...

I believe cars stats are still from 2018 and Codemasters didnt upgraded them yet. But correct me if im wrong.

Edited by Oaktr33

guys before open a new topic like this, please test the track with different cars and then judge...

Mercedes is in real life also struggeling on some tracks, best example Austria...

3 hours ago, 2Pacalypse said:

guys before open a new topic like this, please test the track with different cars and then judge...

Mercedes is in real life also struggeling on some tracks, best example Austria...

Tried Mercedes in Austria, no problem at all.

Posted (edited)

I've almost finished a season in championship mode. I find tracks are better balanced in terms of AI except for Silverstone. I play with default setups only changing wings and suspensions. Always with a neutral setup. Baku is tough to judge. There are many variables. Last year the AI used to increase its pace drastically during the second half of 100% distance races.

Baku can also be hard to judge based on setups. If you go high with on diff you will fly in qualify but in the race you will destroy your rear tyres and struggle in traction zones. If you go with an understeery setup in qualify you will fly but in the race the car feels too heavy in S2.

Plus McLaren is too slow at the moment and at Baku your competitors are stronger, a lot stronger than they should.

Racing Point at Baku is the fourth team if not stronger than RB. Alfa is stronger too and Williams is a threat there.

I think it's a mix of Mclaren slower, competitors stronger, setups and strategy...

Edited by sirio994

1 minute ago, sirio994 said:

Last year the AI used to increase their pace drastically during the second half of 100% distance races

Wow glad to hear that confirmed! That would explain a demoralizing full length race in which I qualified 5th and during race moved up to 3rd then made mistake and dropped to 7th with 20 laps to with a good gap to cars behind. Then I concentrated on doing smooth laps happy to keep my position with my lap times constant or improving even as I took care. Except then pretty well each lap I got passed by 1 or 2 cars until around 8 laps to go EVERYONE still in the race had passed me. Which was depressing and unrealistic. Kinda stopped bothering to race then it was like me vs 17 Mercedes cars! I was in Maclaren as always. 

1 minute ago, sloppysmusic said:

Wow glad to hear that confirmed! That would explain a demoralizing full length race in which I qualified 5th and during race moved up to 3rd then made mistake and dropped to 7th with 20 laps to with a good gap to cars behind. Then I concentrated on doing smooth laps happy to keep my position with my lap times constant or improving even as I took care. Except then pretty well each lap I got passed by 1 or 2 cars until around 8 laps to go EVERYONE still in the race had passed me. Which was depressing and unrealistic. Kinda stopped bothering to race then it was like me vs 17 Mercedes cars! I was in Maclaren as always. 

It came with a patch mid year. I don't know if it was caused by lesser wear for the AI or bad balancing but it seems gone. At Baku it was crazy. Almost a second faster. Expecially in single races. So I suspected it was the AI components wear. I struggled to save ERS too and they started to fly...

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sirio994 said:

It came with a patch mid year. I don't know if it was caused by lesser wear for the AI or bad balancing but it seems gone. At Baku it was crazy. Almost a second faster. Expecially in single races. So I suspected it was the AI components wear. I struggled to save ERS too and they started to fly...

Ahh.. I didn't start playing it until was on sale this year so never saw pre patch performance. Yes there wss nothing I could do. Having managed my tires well it was like they could pit and still catch up lost time and had an ERS boost. I even got passed doing a hotlap going for fastest time for fun during those last few laps... Crazy!! 

Posted (edited)

In fact I'm always concerned as 100% distance user. The feeling of race pace is different. In 25% and 50% races you rarely see clean air and different strategies. So the AI might look slower in the race because it struggles in traffic a bit but the true race pace has to be seen in clean air. 

People last year started to ask for faster race pace. But faster race pace for 25 and 50 distances it's a huge leap in 100% and full clean air. And the strategy is different too: in 100% distance you have to use lean and cannot overfuel the car...

Edited by sirio994
  • Agree 1

Once I started running full length races I just couldn't go back. Tire wear and strategic elements are so much more interesting. It's no longer a sprint and you can really get more involved. Didn't buy 2019 though as I'm burned out after 2 full length careers in 17 and 18. Too much of a slog for me now. Still watch streams though for career, but don't miss all the endless practice routines! 

7 hours ago, jrod22145 said:

That’s one good thing about the up and down performances of some of the teams IRL this year.  You can just tell yourself that you couldn’t get the tires in the proper window and increase the immersion factor lol! I like to create a running story in my head of my own career mode too lol

It makes the game even more enjoyable for me. Especially since up until Baku I really haven't had much issue as far as balancing with other teams. I know there seems to be some issue with the AI and qualifying, but the whole solo aspect of the game allows me to come up with fun story lines lol 

12 hours ago, Prozhai said:

Tried Mercedes in Austria, no problem at all.

in REAL LIFE!!!! not in the Game :D