Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

best ERS & fuel technique??

Recommended Posts

so whats the best method for deploying fuel and ers? last game switching to low and non ers for corners was best but now u seem to lose so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do use low ERS in low speed parts of the track. But some times i do need to Harvest from time to time. And when i need to atack i do turn it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a pain to keep fiddling with it instead of concentrating on getting smooth good lap times and overtaking! I enjoyed the tactics in F1 2018 but once it got upgraded it could stay on high all the time which was silly. I think if I get this game I'm going to just use auto as it mirrors what the real life drivers have as their engineers tweak it for them depending on race conditions. Then just use overtake or hotlap if I want go for fastest lap or a fast pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what i do is I disable ers 200-300meters before  slow-mid speed corners, disable it in high-speed/flatout corners, basically when you're alone just use medium low and high only on acceleration, and when you're battling use high or hotlap, i barely use overtake (or only in a special situation) because it drain the battery very very fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

It's a pain to keep fiddling with it instead of concentrating on getting smooth good lap times and overtaking! I enjoyed the tactics in F1 2018 but once it got upgraded it could stay on high all the time which was silly. I think if I get this game I'm going to just use auto as it mirrors what the real life drivers have as their engineers tweak it for them depending on race conditions. Then just use overtake or hotlap if I want go for fastest lap or a fast pass. 

If you put it on automatic, you won't be able to manually change it to overtake or hotlap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HDR10 said:

If you put it on automatic, you won't be able to manually change it to overtake or hotlap.

Surely you can just switch it from auto to a manual setting in the MFD? Or is it locked in the settings menu? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No once in automatic it is locked out on the MFD.

I wish there was a way to set it to Automatic and set an 'Overtake' button like they do in real life F1

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

Surely you can just switch it from auto to a manual setting in the MFD? Or is it locked in the settings menu? 

You can switch it in the assists menu 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the right analogue stick on xbox joypad what use to look around . The only problem is cant use it to look around when mfd is open but its made the mfd a hole lot easier to navagate the mfd with out getting too distracted its just a bit of pain in ass when defending and useing ers as cantblook back to see where car is if mfd is open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

It's a pain to keep fiddling with it instead of concentrating on getting smooth good lap times and overtaking! I enjoyed the tactics in F1 2018 but once it got upgraded it could stay on high all the time which was silly. I think if I get this game I'm going to just use auto as it mirrors what the real life drivers have as their engineers tweak it for them depending on race conditions. Then just use overtake or hotlap if I want go for fastest lap or a fast pass. 

It leaves a lot to be desired compared to the real thing. It can use up all your ERS when you don't need it, and then when you need it for overtaking it's empty, or when you need to defend it's either empty or it stays on low for no apparent reason.

You could argue that the low/medium/high settings are kind of general profiles to mimick real profiles, but the distance-based profiles they use are far superior.

You can imagine a profile like theirs being a subset of the 5 we already have combined together, e.g. at Melbourne startline-T3 would be our high, T3-4 = low/none, T4-6 = medium, T6-9 = high, T9-10 = low, T10-13 = high/overtake, and then none/low until the main straight.

And then they'd have it set up more aggressively for pit outlaps/inlaps during the race, and all other kinds of scenarios. Either way, they won't need to fiddle with it on a semi corner to corner basis like we have to.

This is pretty much how I do it on manual, because the setup for ERS is woefully inadequate for it.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jajb said:

No once in automatic it is locked out on the MFD.

I wish there was a way to set it to Automatic and set an 'Overtake' button like they do in real life F1

Agreed, that is the best way.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mess with these too much.  Most of the time ERS is at medium with short bursts to overtake, or long bursts in high if I'm not really around anyone.  I do the race strategy keeping fuel at medium the entire time, which gives me accurate fuel readings for the race keeping it on medium most of the time which is ideal.  I'll give myself an extra half lap of fuel so I can have some extra to burn in high fuel use when needed.  Never need to go into low fuel mode unless I messed something up, or perhaps if it starts raining.  Tweaking these settings on a turn by turn basis seems unnecessarily tedious.  I usually won't do low ERS mode, staying on medium on most tracks is often good enough to recharge enough ERS for some overtake ability.  Only sometimes I'll switch to low, if I had to use too much ERS for some reason and need some quicker recharge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK so manual is still the best way to manage it in game even if least realistic? Thanks for some good tips here for whenever I play 2018 again or get 2019! Wonder if someone will mod it......

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they first announced ERS management as a feature, I thought they meant you'd be able to set the ERS strategy before each race (e.g, high down this straight, low through that corner) and it'll do it automatically, then just turn it up to 'overtake' manually whenever needed, which would have been more realistic and interesting. But they've done this weird system of turning it up and down every ten seconds, which I find is a real nuisance, especially when trying to concentrate on doing a really quick quali lap. I think there was a pre-release video with Lando playing and he said it's unrealistic to be messing with the ERS so much. Hope they change it at some point. And the Auto ERS is absolutely useless, as pointed out by others. I play on the pad on Xbox, so having to scroll up and down, left and right between fuel, ERS and the rest of the MFD options, is really fidgety and annoying.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should use medium or high on straights and between corners. Switch to 0 (none) at the end of straights, into every corner. Make sure your ERS rarely goes below 50% and use hotlap and overtake mode sparingly.

When on a hotlap in quali, don't use hotlap mix all the lap. Try to switch between modes 3, 4 and 5 throughout the lap - mode 4 in the higher gears, mode 5 when climbing up the gears and mode three when you can, to make sure you don't run out of deployment before the end of the lap.

In terms of fuel, don't use rich more than necessary because it will overheat the engine quickly. You can use the same strategy as the ERS strat I've just mentioned. In quali, obviously use mode 4 all the way through.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sdenbroeder said:

You should use medium or high on straights and between corners. Switch to 0 (none) at the end of straights, into every corner. Make sure your ERS rarely goes below 50% and use hotlap and overtake mode sparingly.

When on a hotlap in quali, don't use hotlap mix all the lap. Try to switch between modes 3, 4 and 5 throughout the lap - mode 4 in the higher gears, mode 5 when climbing up the gears and mode three when you can, to make sure you don't run out of deployment before the end of the lap.

In terms of fuel, don't use rich more than necessary because it will overheat the engine quickly. You can use the same strategy as the ERS strat I've just mentioned. In quali, obviously use mode 4 all the way through.

Agreed (see my post above for how I use it, I also use low/none on short straights and out of difficult traction zones, e.g. out of T1 @ Bahrain). I also use hotlap on my inlap/outlap for undercut/overcut.

When I just got F1 2018, I thought managing it would be hard in 100% races, but it's quite the opposite - after 20 or so laps, it's almost semi-automatic like changing gears, you get used to it quickly. I normally do 10 lap stints on full fuel before races just to get 90% used to it and to gauge if I need to save more or use more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×