Codemasters: Here's why I will NOT buy F1 2019

11 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

hopefully CM does not close their doors now because you do not buy the game ūüėģ¬†but thanks for sharing your thoughts, if you want a virtual mirror get Need for Speed or some other Arcade racer....

Svensenk, you`re really funny. I mentioned RFactor 2 and Iracing as an example of the SIMS as they use virtual mirrors and you`re talking about need for speeds. 

Of course I will not buy a "sim" without virtual mirrors, because you can`t play without them. 

Look, I know you use the exterior camera to see the car and I know you use a controller, but there are people who has a steering wheel, and like to use the INTERIOR cam with a decent FOV. And in the F1 2019 it`s not possible because Codemasters love lazyness... and then they say it`s not realistic having a virtual mirror but they use stupid arrows to indicate if there are any car near. It`s like they are trolling everybody.

20 minutes ago, pevides said:

Sorry Steviejay. That`s not an option, for the people who take sims a little more seriously. Nothing against you. If you like it, use it.

It's a game feature. F1 cars are not easy to see out of, the mirrors are not that useful. Look back isn't something I'm fond of using either. I just don't see where your virtual mirror goes where it doesn't look unrealistic and non-sim. 

Implementations in other games are like an oversize cockpit-mounted rear-view mirror. F1 cars don't have them.

6 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

It's a game feature. F1 cars are not easy to see out of, the mirrors are not that useful. Look back isn't something I'm fond of using either. I just don't see where your virtual mirror goes where it doesn't look unrealistic and non-sim. 

Implementations in other games are like an oversize cockpit-mounted rear-view mirror. F1 cars don't have them.

First of all, F1 is a sport that requires the pilot to look at the mirror all the time! Really quick looks!

It`s the most demanding racing sport in the world in the awareness aspect. They drive at +300 km/h. They really have to know where are the other pilots at all time, when overtaking etc. That said, see those 2 images in the attachement. 

The first image, shows the real thing. And the correct FOV a F1 driver use/see in real life. They are really close to the steering wheel. The mirrors are not a problem in this case, because they can move their heads and look around, without any problem. This should be the FOV in the F1 2019.. but there`s a problem.

Look at the second image in the F1 game. You can see that the FOV is already wrong... because it`s so far back but worse than that....you still have you have to put the camera even more back (!!!) to see the mirrors. You have to drive in the backseat (it`s impossible) because :  A - You don`t have a virtual mirror like the other sims   or  B - You don`t have VR support in this game.

So obviously there is a problem and that`s why this is discussed year after year, but the problem is never solved. This should always be a function that could be turned off or on, so there would be no problem for you, if you don`t like it. But "arrows" or "looking back" functions, are not ok. 

Well, it`s enough for me. Maybe F1 2020 or 2021.  

image 1.png

image 2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, pevides said:

First of all, F1 is a sport that requires the pilot to look at the mirror all the time! Really quick looks!

It`s the most demanding racing sport in the world in the awareness aspect. They drive at +300 km/h. They really have to know where are the other pilots at all time, when overtaking etc. That said, see those 2 images in the attachement. 

The first image, shows the real thing. And the correct FOV a F1 driver use/see in real life. They are really close to the steering wheel. The mirrors are not a problem in this case, because they can move their heads and look around, without any problem. This should be the FOV in the F1 2019.. but there`s a problem.

Look at the second image in the F1 game. You can see that the FOV is already wrong... because it`s so far back but worse than that....you still have you have to put the camera even more back (!!!) to see the mirrors. You have to drive in the backseat (it`s impossible) because :  A - You don`t have a virtual mirror like the other sims   or  B - You don`t have VR support in this game.

So obviously there is a problem and that`s why this is discussed year after year, but the problem is never solved. This should always be a function that could be turned off or on, so there would be no problem for you, if you don`t like it. But "arrows" or "looking back" functions, are not ok. 

Well, it`s enough for me. Maybe F1 2020 or 2021.  

image 1.png

image 2.jpg

I agree the implementation of cockpit in F1 is unrealistic.

I agree the rear view mirrors are useless in the view you have suggested. But a rear view mirror implementation is unrealistic and it won't go anywhere in your RL FoV.

Maybe the whole issue of SIM/cockpit will only be resolved with VR and a proper seating position. How will you resolve the Camera shake due to G-forces?

Edited by steviejay69
  • Agree 1

Svensenk, you`re really funny. I mentioned RFactor 2 and Iracing as an example of the SIMS as they use virtual mirrors and you`re talking about need for speeds. 

Of course I will not buy a "sim" without virtual mirrors, because you can`t play without them. 

Look, I know you use the exterior camera to see the car and I know you use a controller, but there are people who has a steering wheel, and like to use the INTERIOR cam with a decent FOV. And in the F1 2019 it`s not possible because Codemasters love lazyness... and then they say it`s not realistic having a virtual mirror but they use stupid arrows to indicate if there are any car near. It`s like they are trolling everybody.

Hi mate,

I play F1 games since Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 2, and I can tell you one thing, I never use an outside camera ūüėȬ†I drive always Cockpit view, even adjusted cam to sit nearer the wheel (with this FOV camera adjustment tool) so it looks like similar to the pics attached in the post above. I also have to rely on the arrows or have a quick look in the back with the right stick, not a big deal. I know a virtual mirror would make it easier, but the way I have to handle it is also not a big deal

29 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

I agree the implementation of cockpit in F1 is unrealistic.

I agree the rear view mirrors are useless in the view you have suggested. But a rear view mirror implementation is unrealistic and it won't go anywhere in your RL FoV.

Maybe the whole issue of SIM/cockpit will only be resolved with VR and a proper seating position. How will you resolve the Camera shake due to G-forces?

I guess potentially 2 small mirrors to represent the mirrors you can't see can go on the halo to avoid losing view of what's in front, but I still think this will look ****.

What was interesting in beta is that in a race in Baku, I saw the reflection of what was behind me like a rear view mirror on the halo which I don't believe was intentional and also not possible due to how the cars are built. It was faint but wasn't too bad. Would need to be more prominent if this was a way to go but again it's not a realistic look behind.

I play cockpit and cannot see the mirrors either due to lack of buttons on the Xbox One but I don't really care for a virtual mirror. Look back and proximity arrows are fine for me.

• Agree 1

On 7/3/2019 at 12:40 PM, 2Pacalypse said:

You are talking about sim racing and "virtual" mirror in the same sentence....find the failure?! ūüėĄ

So a virtual mirror is not realistic and apparently a no no, but at the same time you have the ability to drive with an external view or a view from the rollbar. How is that realistic?

8 minutes ago, Huughead said:

So a virtual mirror is not realistic and apparently a no no, but at the same time you have the ability to drive with an external view or a view from the rollbar. How is that realistic?

i dont talk about realism at all...it is a computer game!!! Gosh...do whatever you want...

drive with assists wihtout...i don t care... everyone is playing different, thats why it is a GAME for everyone.

BUT THESE ALL "SIM" DRIVERS WANT IT REAL, AND TALKING ABOUT VIRTUAL MIRROR thats the failure.

A casual game will never be a Simulator or Copy of the reality...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, 2Pacalypse said:

i dont talk about realism at all...it is a computer game!!! Gosh...do whatever you want...

drive with assists wihtout...i don t care... everyone is playing different, thats why it is a GAME for everyone.

BUT THESE ALL "SIM" DRIVERS WANT IT REAL, AND TALKING ABOUT VIRTUAL MIRROR thats the failure.

A casual game will never be a Simulator or Copy of the reality...

I obviously misunderstood why you posted that comment. Sorry about that,

On 7/4/2019 at 1:18 PM, pevides said:

Sorry Steviejay. That`s not an option, for the people who take sims a little more seriously. Nothing against you. If you like it, use it.

Because apparently people that take sims a little more seriously want a magic mirror hovering in front of them.... riiiiight.

• Disagree 1

If you want it more sim like, buy a head tracking device. You can turn your head and look into the mirrors. That’s what real drivers do. 

Blaming F1 2019 as arcade or simcade, talking about a more serious sim and wanting a magical mirror doesn‚Äėt fit together. The game has some mechanics to solve this problem. I don‚Äôt really see the need of a virtual mirror, but if it would be optional it would be fine too for me.¬†

Back in the nineties the pilots said you couldn’t barely see anything in the mirrors. It was only a thin foil due to weight reasons and with the strong vibrations they were nearly useless. 

• Disagree 1