Sign in to follow this  

The future of grid

So im wondering. about the future of grid and ps4 xbox one etc, if there would be any new futures like pitstops, to add to more realism or weather. and mabye more race classaes 

I would like any new GRID game to be nothing like GRID 2 and to be properly finished and working on release and not slightly half a***d. GAS would be perfect if the damage system made any sense, upgrades worked and the online playlist was expanded to include all tracks for each discipline.

jc096 said:
So im wondering. about the future of grid and ps4 xbox one etc, if there would be any new futures like pitstops, to add to more realism or weather. and mabye more race classaes 

Unfortunately, there will be no new Codemasters game in my future.  Being burned by fire (GAS) has forced me to think very hard at throwing good money after bad.  Glitches aside, I consider myself a clean racer and yet I have to disable the damage portion of the career structure in order to run a race series.  Include damage in a game and not enable pit stops!!!!  What were the programmers smoking or drinking when they decided this.  The AI (and I've driven in 54 seasons) act like BCM's (bumper car monkeys).  I recently bought and am playing Race Pro.  A 7 year old game that initially seems to have much of what GAS is/was missing.  Yes, it is a stipped down game.  But I enjoy the LACK of voice overs in the game.  Who cares if Nathan Whatshisname will be replaying our race over in his mind!  And the $7.00 price was easy on my wallet. 

I absolutely agree with you on the AI being BCM's.  (Love the acronym btw.)  That's the single most asinine aspect of GAS.  As if real live racers try to smash into each other constantly on purpose.  Right.  It's neither good game design, nor a realistic simulation.  I get aggressive driving, getting in your way (however annoying), occasional tapping, sure... but being BCM's?  Not cool.

That said, it's not the programmers that decide whether or not something goes in the game.. that's the product managers and designers/architects... aka the powers that be  They're the ones that are smoking something funky, and it wasn't a good batch.  There's probably also inter-office politics involved, but I'm guessing based on experience in other settings.  Sadly, the development community has by and large become every bit as corporate as every other part of western civilization... with the exception of maybe Valve, the days where game developers that are truly passionate about their craft to the point where they look forward to going to work every day just to make something awesome are long gone.  To most, now it's just a job.  (Though not all.)  Personally, I'm holding out on hope that other developers like myself still do exist and we'll see a new era of great content for all platforms where the devs are more concerned about quality than their position or salary... with outfits like Kickstarter and Steam Green Light opening the playing field to smaller companies, that's a really strong possibility.  Perhaps they exist at Codemasters... but if so, then the PTB there need to let their team's passion shine so we can all benefit from top notch everything, not just a few things.

We're working hard on some other things at the moment but a new GRID is never off the cards. Why not tell us what kind of things you would want.

Maybe start a next GRID game wishlist and just start posting up ideas like the DiRT guys did?

I think a return to the ToCA games series of packing as many real life championships into one game as possible. It's what separated the ToCA games from Gran Turismo, etc. The variety was amazing!

Plus it's probably not that expensive to license up some smaller but interesting racing series.

We're working hard on some other things at the moment but a new GRID is never off the cards. Why not tell us what kind of things you would want.

Maybe start a next GRID game wishlist and just start posting up ideas like the DiRT guys did?
the whole forum is a living wishlist, but i can make easy, a good racer who assure us thousand hours of playing is racedriver grid. period.
copy and paste from it.
last game we got, claimed as community born (autosport) was still missing of a text chat (!!) and the spectator mode... two things so much important. Then delete the idiotical region lock on steam... NO dlc, NO car upgrade/tuning, no penalties etc... the old good one game we know...
Lobby structure as the old one, online...  clean leaderboards etc...
you can do that, copy and paste... once u know how make a good game, just focus on graphic...
And please if you achieve that, once again, please don't kill after 3years just cause u make a fight with 3d party agreement...

the whole forum is a living wishlist, but i can make easy, a good racer who assure us thousand hours of playing is racedriver grid. period.
copy and paste from it.
last game we got, claimed as community born (autosport) was still missing of a text chat (!!) and the spectator mode... two things so much important. Then delete the idiotical region lock on steam... NO dlc, NO car upgrade/tuning, no penalties etc... the old good one game we know...
Lobby structure as the old one, online...  clean leaderboards etc...
you can do that, copy and paste... once u know how make a good game, just focus on graphic...
And please if you achieve that, once again, please don't kill after 3years just cause u make a fight with 3d party agreement...
There's nothing wrong with DLC's, as long as it's not day one DLC and is for a reasonable price

Didzis said:

There's nothing wrong with DLC's, as long as it's not day one DLC and is for a reasonable price
So you think that for real ? since grid2 you remember a different policy ? in my memory there is dlc day1 both grid2 and autosport, plus dlc is not additional content to extend lifetime game, was just a trick to sell the game piece at once. raising price trick with high cost dlc. and u think will happen in different way in future ?
I'm enough of games made with templates, with bugs, lack of basic feature and splitted into many dlc !!
nothing wrong with dlc. lol

CM along with other game developers build in replay obsolescence into their games. 

For example:  When trying to run a multiplayer public lobby you have to wait for a 2nd player to enter otherwise you could sit there for literally hours if not forever for a race to start.  And that means no in game credits to buy additional cars, etc.  After most racing games of 3-6 mos. , the lobbies with multiple drivers are few and far between.  Just in time for the developers etc. to come out with another game for us to spend our hard earned money on.

One of the nice features that a game like FM4 has (and they are by no means perfect, i.e., no weather or night driving) is that it allows you to run races WHILE waiting for people to jump in.  Many a night I’ve run tons of races with the AI and only a few people have jumped in.  But I was able to run races online instead of sitting there and picking my nose, my butt etc.

recent cm games (grid 2 and autosport) are full of gameplays walls on online multiplayer.
i'm done waiting into a damn blind lobby room, you cannot spectate, you cannot text chat, you cannot start a race alone. 

Can I just ask a question,  why would you want to race alone lol :)
we not want to race alone, sometime happen for example at 5.00am u want to play and there is empty lobby, in this way u can start a game without do nothing into a lobby. The point is avoid games online walls, like all the time u join on already started session and the only thing u can do is stare lobby walls for 5-6-7minutes....
btw grid2 is dead by years, autosport is dead too , this two games are an online failure, in the meanwhile if u chack tunngle maybe you can find more ppl playing grid1... is just the way cm made recently games, lot of lack of features, indie style details, and multiplayer short life.

As always, you talking crap. GAS is not dead. I can play whenever i want for hours with good and fair players. Pll that are not hackers like you. I'm really glad you think that way, coz that makes u stay away from this game.
I actually prefer GAS coz of Steam which doesnt allow idiots like u to create false identities, apply hacks and pretend they are someone else they want to put shame on.

As always, you talking crap. GAS is not dead. I can play whenever i want for hours with good and fair players. Pll that are not hackers like you. I'm really glad you think that way, coz that makes u stay away from this game.
I actually prefer GAS coz of Steam which doesnt allow idiots like u to create false identities, apply hacks and pretend they are someone else they want to put shame on.
yes, i talk crap cause since grid2 i stop play that racing games, i'm a gamer on steam since 2006 (and ytube by 2007) and the only shit i done was into grid1.
in spite of  many claimed fair, and by truth spoiled as hidden cheater, i never hidden myself. And i'm sure you don't need the list of real and definitely busted hidden punks as many was your friends.
I stay away from autosport because i don't liked it as grid1, and if i will ever join some your lobby, first of all you will not recognize me, because i'm using my old stem account, and second because i'm done with that shit and there is nothing to mess around with you anymore.
flowa, place the war hatchet with me, i really not have any interest to prehistorical stuff, move on and lets fun on games, is not real life and if
someone push your car on the wall, is not your real car... so stay cool !!! :D 

Can I just ask a question,  why would you want to race alone lol :)

I know this comment was intended as a tongue in cheek type of thing. 

I have lost count the number of times I've tried to run a lobby only to literally wait for the cows to come home.  Then to jump into a room and watch the race timer count the seconds for a race to end while picking my butt (always after I've finished picking my nose though). 

It was nice to race with you finally last week.  In this great big world of how many billions (of only 5 or so still play GAS) of people you'd think I could find someone to race with without having to build up my FL first for races.  I too like to get on at odd hours and would like to run some races WHILE waiting for others to jump in.  Even the 2007 game of Race Pro allowed you to run laps while the room got ready.

@ flash
OK....punk.
You had been doing it for all 3 years when Grid MP was active - using all kinds of hacks, ramming, creating false aliases and writing lies about me and my friends. Now u probably wish, u havent spent that time on doing such crap, don't u? Instead having fun when it lasted. Guess who's laughing now :) While me and my friends had a blast u were conspiring with the same narrow minded schizos.

In steam u wud be kicked nice and easy and u wud never come back so thats why u dont come here. 

U wanna bury the hatchet with me? LOL
What about BS faked youtube movies about me from Grid1 times that you still have on your account? U still wanna bury the hatchet? Go there, remove them and tell all your schizos friends the true.

Simples. But i think u just start again talking crap so lets just stop it. and go in separate ways.

Lets keep this thread civil please @flowaangelz 

I just hope Grid does have a future..... IMHO there's a huge gap in the market for decent arcade-sims, with circuit racing as opposed to open world nonsense.

I know I've moaned about CM in the past but at least the games are fun :)

I've noticed in many Project CARS reviews they quoted it being like the TOCA Race Driver games. I think a new one in that vein would be ideal, Codemasters could use all sorts of minor championships that no one else has licensed yet (as well as their "interesting" fictional series).

Personally though, just a return of the BTCC would be enough for me. Perhaps with the support series bundled in.

Yeah, who would fancy a game with:
BTCC
Ginetta Juniors
Ginetta GT4 Supercup
MSA Formula Championship
Porsche Carrera Cup GB (okay would have to be RUF Cup GB :-p)
Renault UK Clio Cup