Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

F1 2019 Handling

God the handling in F1 2019 is horrible. Just doesn't feel natural at all. The horrible understeer is never ending. Also the braking feels really weird. Before people say get good at the game...I've always been pretty decent at F1 games. Something just doesn't right with the physics in this verison.

Damn, I couldn't describe my experience better. I drive on pad but I'm usually about 1.5-2.5 seconds a lap slower than the fastest players on PS4. Now, I lap like 5 seconds a lap slower. I lost all confidence under braking, and the car honestly feels like a motorboat through corners. There is too much horizontal sliding along with an overall lack of traction. For the first time in any game, I could barely take Eau Rouge flat because the car kept sliding off horizontally as if there wasn't 3000kg pushing down on the grippiest tires known to mankind. The handling is kind of a joke honestly.

1.05 Patch Update:

After spending lots of time in time trial working out the unique aspects of the handling, I have come to grips with the braking and how to optimize my shifting to help that. A lot of people thought that I meant that I was struggling with corner exits because of the increased sensitivity to throttle application, but I had no problems with that at all, and I actually found it to be a great improvement to promote skill. However, there is still too much horizontal sliding through high speed corners that should be taken flat. By horizontal sliding I don't mean understeer. I mean the whole car sliding laterally, which is nothing like an F1 car. The car is also extremely sensitive to kerbs at medium and high speeds.

Edited by razagillani
Update
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

The cars are much harder to handle compare to 2018 but I guess real f1 cars aren’t easy to handle we seen so many drivers lose the back end this season, something we all have to adapted to. I was dominating races using the wheel on 2018 definitely struggling to get podiums in 2019 but I find it more challenging 

• Agree 2

Hi there and thanks for the feedback. I've moved this to the F1 Games General Discussion forum so that it's in the right place. Thanks!

you got used to F1 2018 where you could drive like an idiot and get away with it, as for most other previous titles too, now there's a tad bit of realism and you cant just go full lock left and right and slam the brakes you start to complain lol, put some time in and understand the handling and you'll enjoy it, there's no ballast anymore and the setups on 2018 were stupid grippy.

• Agree 10

1 hour ago, Zerd said:

you got used to F1 2018 where you could drive like an idiot and get away with it, as for most other previous titles too, now there's a tad bit of realism and you cant just go full lock left and right and slam the brakes you start to complain lol, put some time in and understand the handling and you'll enjoy it, there's no ballast anymore and the setups on 2018 were stupid grippy.

Exactly. I always hated the ballast exploit, and I love that they removed it.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Zerd said:

The problem is that slamming the brakes is, by and large, exactly what's done in F1 right now according to Lando. From what I've experienced, this is less the fault of the handling model and more the fault of the cars themselves being way off the mark in terms of both downforce and straight line speed. It looks as though CM thought the cars really would be slower this year and that the teams (except for Williams...) wouldn't be able to claw back the lost downforce, especially at the front.

• Agree 3

I think the biggest problem for many guys is they think to slam the car into the corner like 2018. This was unrealistic and wrong. Now the ballast is gone and you have to adapt a slightly new style of driving. Slow in and fast out of a corner and you don't have any problems with understeering.

I drive the same style this year like last year. 2018 i didn't use any crazy setups and i didn't throw the car into corners. For me the handling model of 2019 is fine and not so different from last year.

• Agree 4

I like the new handling more than F1 2018, true, 2018 was easier, like you guys mentioned before you could slam the car more into corners, could take all curbs like crazy, this is gone this year, also using brakes more sensitive is a good thing. I liked F1 2018 but 2019 feels somehow better, a bit more challenging.

• Agree 2

more challenging and fun, but completely unrealistic, not even look the same category

• Disagree 2

22 minutes ago, squalles said:

more challenging and fun, but completely unrealistic, not even look the same category

How do you know? I never had the chance to drive an F1 car, so i didn't know what's realistic. Do you have a good source? Would be interesting what the real driver would say about it.

• Agree 2

And you guys playing on pads or wheels? Bcs i feel every year little better on wheel, braking on LC is completely fine with 50 linearity. Most  ppl want sim so if you playing on pad sorry in real car is steering wheel

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Neomo said:

And you guys playing on pads or wheels? Bcs i feel every year little better on wheel, braking on LC is completely fine with 50 linearity. Most  ppl want sim so if you playing on pad sorry in real car is steering wheel

Wheel and pedals here. Are you using linearity on throttle etc too? I tried it, but didn't like it. Havent tried it on brakes. What about saturation?

1 hour ago, Akkan74 said:

How do you know? I never had the chance to drive an F1 car, so i didn't know what's realistic. Do you have a good source? Would be interesting what the real driver would say about it.

automobilista, rfactor 2, assetto corsa, you can try some simulation games to compares, and see as give you a similar experience on these 3, but in f1 2019 are completely different

or you can try replicate the hotlap based on real f1 video with same car and track and feel like are impossible on f1 2019, different brakes, acceleration, understeer, grip, looks another category

Edited by squalles

10 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Wheel and pedals here. Are you using linearity on throttle etc too? I tried it, but didn't like it. Havent tried it on brakes. What about saturation?

LC brake should be linear and 50 looks linear in F1 using 50 linearity for throtťe too

Squalles ye i play iR sometimes AC and to be honest best ffb amd tire feeling i have on ACC but of course i never drove race car only go carts

10 minutes ago, squalles said:

automobilista, rfactor 2, assetto corsa, you can try some simulation games to compares, and see as give you a similar experience on these 3, but in f1 2019 are completely different

or you can try replicate the hotlap based on real f1 video with same car and track and feel like are impossible on f1 2019, different brakes, acceleration, understeer, grip, looks another category

Ok, this means you didn't really know what it should feel like for most reality. All you did is comparing to another game. This is what i meant. Many guys complaining about reality but nobody really know how it should feel unless you are driven an actual F1 car.

If you say " I don't like how it feels", ok. That's your meaning, but don't say "completely unrealistic" if you don't really know the real thing.

Edited by Akkan74

4 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

Ok, this means you didn't really know what it should feel like for most reality. All you did is comparing to another game. This is what i meant. Many guys complaining about reality but nobody really know how it should feel unless you are driven an actual F1 car.

If you say " I don't like how it feels", ok. That's your meaning, but don't say "completely unrealistic" if you don't really know the real thing.

you clearly don´t know what you saying or don´t know about another simulation games, probably plays on controller yet and with assists

8 minutes ago, Neomo said:

LC brake should be linear and 50 looks linear in F1 using 50 linearity for throtťe too

Squalles ye i play iR sometimes AC and to be honest best ffb amd tire feeling i have on ACC but of course i never drove race car only go carts

yes, i like ACC too, but i prefer play AC1 because had much more cars and tracks

but my prefered game is automobilista, i feel a amazing ffb on him

Just now, squalles said:

you clearly don´t know what you saying or don´t know about another simulation games, probably plays on controller yet and with assists

Oh yes, i waited for it. Thats your strongest argument. Sadly I have an Accuforce v2, Heusinkveld Sprint Pedals, RSeat RS1, Realteus Force Feel and TrackIR5, driving with no assists in Cockpit view. This argument doesn't count on me.

But you didn't explain how you "know" it. All what you stated is you know some other "games". :classic_happy:

14 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

Oh yes, i waited for it. Thats your strongest argument. Sadly I have an Accuforce v2, Heusinkveld Sprint Pedals, RSeat RS1, Realteus Force Feel and TrackIR5, driving with no assists in Cockpit view. This argument doesn't count on me.

But you didn't explain how you "know" it. All what you stated is you know some other "games". :classic_happy:

if you consider another games the assetto corsa, rfactor 2 and automobilista, are all with same result on driving a f1 car and you just ignore this because think f1 2019 are right, so you clearly don´t know what your saying, i don´t talking about any generic racing game like project cars 2 or forza, but ok, maybe one day you know these games and really can drive on him with a real wheel

if you want compares by another method, see a lap on lando norris on f1 2019 and real lap, he make almost same and are 4 second slower in the game because don´t have acceleration, grip and understeer even close of the real, if you have doubt can try replicate a real hotlap on the game and see how it don´t work

Edited by squalles

I will say my honest opinion.

There is no simulator/game for normal consumers like us out there that is really close to the real thing. It just doesn't exist. What exist is a vast choice of different software that will satisfy, each of these, a group of people, but not all of them.

I have had real drivers coming to me saying that what we do is the best out there, and others saying what we do is not quite there yet. Same kind of outcome when we talk about other games/sims like rFactor2, iRacing, Assetto Corsa and so on.

Do you want the ultimate experience? Save money and buy a kart. A proper kart that can push 2+ lateral G's. Use games and simulators to keep practicing your skills. 

I am glad that many people like my work on the handling, I am very happy that some of the fastest guys in Simracing prefer my handling to that of other sims. I am also aware and accept that others don't like it, and some, luckily not the majority, hate it. 

I would really like to make everyone happy, but is simply not possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

Yes there is huge step forward in handling and ffb over years.Just go and try F1 2016 or ok 2017 is almost same spec car and you feel big diffence i right way.Just continue in this way and focus on wheel settings :classic_wink:

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Neomo said:

Yes there is huge step forward in handling and ffb over years.Just go and try F1 2016 or ok 2017 is almost same spec car and you feel big diffence i right way.Just continue in this way and focus on wheel settings :classic_wink:

Agreed, I also feel like many people aren't realizing that the understeery nature of the cars has been in the game for a while now. We (thankfully) don't have the ability to completely negate this by exploiting the ballast slider anymore, which is why so many are struggling. It'll take a while for people to re-learn the game, and the majority of the criticism will die down, I guess.

• Agree 2

Btw for 2019 car regulations the changed front wing for much more simple one and that could cause that understeeringn compared to 18 and dont forget how big modern f1 cars are. Bending this monster to slow sharp corner isnt easy i think