Gearbox wear too high in F1 2019? [R2]

In career mode (F1 2019 1.04, PC), I did 2 races with Williams, my gearbox wear is already at 80%, which is pretty weird. Then i mount a new gearbox (6 places grid penalty) before the start of the race, but I didn't receive any penalties. I was warned of the penalty, but at the grid, i still start at my qualifying position. Hopefully you all can come up with a fix. Thank you.

• Like 2

Yeah I can confirm that the penalty doesn't actually take force. It's announced and noted in the starting order but you're not actually moved down the order. Definitely a bug.

• Agree 1

On 7/8/2019 at 10:28 AM, Zachrulez said:

Yeah I can confirm that the penalty doesn't actually take force. It's announced and noted in the starting order but you're not actually moved down the order. Definitely a bug.

When did you change the gearbox exactly? I had a similar issue (PS4). Changed it after qualifying 7th in Baku, during the race intro grid overview it the "penalty" graphic behind my name but didn't actually drop me any spots.

There were no other penalties by AI that may have compensated my actual grid position by the way.

I changed gearbox again in France, this time before free practice and it did give me the grid drop.

Just wonder if the wear of components is the same as tyre wear currently where it is scaled incorrectly in practice and qualy when doing less that 100% races. The penalty not being applied when changing after qualy is a confirmed bug and so hope they fix in the 1st patch.

Also, in addition to a grid penalty, I feel there should be penalties applied to R&D points when taking more than the allotted parts; not changing to one of you allotted as that budget is already account for. Not only would this would slow R&D down a touch putting more weight behind the reliability part of R&D as well as put more pressure on the player to make your allotted parts last so to try and keep pace with the AI (R&D wise), but could also bring in malfunctioning parts during races more when trying to eek as much as possible out of them to avoid having to purchase extra parts. IRL it costs teams to make extra parts which could be costly to them so where is that costly (monetary) element to us in game? 

• Like 2

I run 100% distance, so scaling isn't the issue for me. Usually, without any reliability upgrades I can run about 3 or 4 events on a gearbox at best (I don't let it get to 100%, once it reaches anywhere close to 80%, I'm done).

I like the R&D penalty idea though. It would give me more of an incentive to take care of the components.

I change the gearbox if I project the wear to pass 75%. It will actually start losing gears at that point.

Penalties are not executed after qualifying. Has been reported several times and is clearly a bug

• Agree 1

I ended Monaco last day (6th race) and started to have gears loss as It should be...so all fine from my side.

the level was approx more than 85% of wear

Im finding it the opposite only have 1 gearbox upgrade and only had to do 1 gearbox change in a season and a half I do use auto gears I can imagine doing the gears manualy if not changing at correct time could cause excessive wear . But as far as doing the gearbox upgrades go ill be leaving that till last as seem to be managing it okay with out the durabilty 

Posted (edited)

I've now gone through 2 gearboxes in four races driving for McLaren and I've already done the base reliability upgrade and the first gearbox upgrade. I've picked up 60% gearbox wear in Azerbaijan and still have 5 laps to do - gearbox is on 95%. This has to be glitch 

Edited by JamesMarks

11 hours ago, JamesMarks said:

I've now gone through 2 gearboxes in four races driving for McLaren and I've already done the base reliability upgrade and the first gearbox upgrade. I've picked up 60% gearbox wear in Azerbaijan and still have 5 laps to do - gearbox is on 95%. This has to be glitch 

Two gearboxes in four races? :classic_blink: If it's not a bug you must make something majorly wrong. This is way too high.

Is it a bug of 50% races? Also I have this problem: after two races, during the third race in China my gearbox is on 100% before last 5 laps of the race.

32 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

Two gearboxes in four races? :classic_blink: If it's not a bug you must make something majorly wrong. This is way too high.

I've never had a problem like this I'm previous games and I've been playing for 5 years now its just ruining my career as I couldn't even finish Azerbaijan as my 2 nd gearbox failed (started the weekend on 35%).

6 minutes ago, JamesMarks said:

I've never had a problem like this I'm previous games and I've been playing for 5 years now its just ruining my career as I couldn't even finish Azerbaijan as my 2 nd gearbox failed (started the weekend on 35%).

Yeah 60% wear in one race is quite amazing. Do you have similar issues with your PU components or gearbox only?

1 minute ago, Andrew210227 said:

Yeah 60% wear in one race is quite amazing. Do you have similar issues with your PU components or gearbox only?

Gearbox only

Hi Everyone, thanks for raising this issue. I've passed it back to the team to investigate. Would you be able to provide a little more information about your play-through;

• Session lengths (practice/qualifying/race)
  • Are you simulating any sessions?
  • Assists (i.e manual gears etc)
  • Are you using multiple flashbacks or mid-session saves?
  • Any particular circuits where this is being seen?
  • Any particular teams/cars this is being seen with?

As for the issue with grid penalties not applying between qualifying and race, this has been raised in another thread so I am removing that from the title to keep focus on the wear rates in this thread. Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, RedDevilKT said:

Hi Everyone, thanks for raising this issue. I've passed it back to the team to investigate. Would you be able to provide a little more information about your play-through;

• Session lengths (practice/qualifying/race)
  • Are you simulating any sessions?
  • Assists (i.e manual gears etc)
  • Are you using multiple flashbacks or mid-session saves?

As for the issue with grid penalties not applying between qualifying and race, this has been raised in another thread so I am removing that from the title to keep focus on the wear rates in this thread. Thanks

Ok, so I use 50% races, short quali, full practice I do simulate some practise sessions (usually p3) but most of the insane gearbox wear is during the race. I use manual gears and the only assists I run is abs. Sometimes I mid session save but I've had races where I haven't and the issue is still there, I flashback a few times a race. Thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, JamesMarks said:

Ok, so I use 50% races, short quali, full practice I do simulate some practise sessions (usually p3) but most of the insane gearbox wear is during the race. I use manual gears and the only assists I run is abs. Sometimes I mid session save but I've had races where I haven't and the issue is still there, I flashback a few times a race. Thanks for the help.

Thanks! Are you seeing this on specific tracks, is it worse on some than others? Is it team specific or does it occur with any car/team? 

24 minutes ago, RedDevilKT said:

Thanks! Are you seeing this on specific tracks, is it worse on some than others? Is it team specific or does it occur with any car/team? 

It's been worse in Azerbaijan 60% wear in on race but all tracks are bad I've only noticed it in my career mode where I drive for McLaren.

Posted (edited)

Hi there, I am having the same issues over here...

Currently I am driving for Haas in my career (no assists). I just finished the Canadian grand prix and have 81% on my 3th gearbox... I am racing 25% races and full qualifying. I am using some flashbacks here and there. I don't use mid-session saves and I only skip the 3th practice.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

By the way, Canada was extreme on wear; i had gone from qualifying 18%-36% and race 36%-81%

Edited by gijsvds

Hi! I have same issue, but not only in career. (In Grand  Prix and in online races too)

Yesterday I finished my race in AOR with 83% gearbox, in the last laps I couldn't switch

Please correct this issue!

20190818221509_1.jpg

This issue is still not addressed. The problem is with the race length. If you play 50% length, the gearbox (and other components) wear becomes twice fast. Why is it like this, I don't know. It's so weird and illogical. I am in the middle of Baku race right now and my gearbox wear is already 67%, it completely killed my racing performance and I gave up the career. 

Australia + Bahrain + Half of Azerbaijan = nearly 70 laps total 

This means you have to buy new gearbox at every 3rd race. 7 gearboxes for a season. In other words, you have to invest solely in durability in order to barely avoid grid penalties. This makes R&D so dull and boring because it kills team strategy and ability to upgrade your car during the season.

This problem was also present In F1 2018. Still not solved. 

I race 25% and lost a gear at Monaco towards the end of the race, but that was the last race for that gear box.

If it isn't scaled, then that is a huge oversight.

If it actually is scaled, it helps to not abuse the gears on downshifts so much. I never really gave it much thought until seeing some guys in MP and thinking to myself, "This guy's gearbox wont last even 2 races."lol