Honestly, The Physics Are Terrible

I'm not going to sugarcoat anything, I'm going to voice my honest opinion; the physics are atrocious. The way the car loses grip front and rear just does not feel right at all, it's like the downforce switches on and off mid corner, causing massive understeer (T3 at Spain is very bad for it) and also weird, floaty oversteer mid corner. This wouldn't be a huge problem for me in most games/simulators, as I'd just return to the setup screen and fix it that way, but it seems the setup options are so numb this year, that no matter what I change, the car feels barely any different, and the same issues persist. I have spent hours in time trial fiddling with the setup options to find a sweet spot or something that makes the car more driveable, but it seems the setup screen is useless, because nothing feels any better, nor is anything much quicker, than the default (balanced) setup. I'm not asking for a physics overhaul, but just make the setup options actually do something, rather than being there for show. This is my opinion, feel free to disagree.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

There is definitely a lot of understeer, but you can tune it out. Lower decel diff, strengthen front springs and roll bar, and lower front springs.

Overall though, I agree. Way more arcade than sim. For a game that pushes wheel marketing, the physics are disappointing. Assetto Corsa has the blueprint for great physics that can be had on a console and it is several years old. Just copy it and be done with that part 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, NoseyGuyy said:

I'm not going to sugarcoat anything, I'm going to voice my honest opinion; the physics are atrocious. The way the car loses grip front and rear just does not feel right at all, it's like the downforce switches on and off mid corner, causing massive understeer (T3 at Spain is very bad for it) and also weird, floaty oversteer mid corner. This wouldn't be a huge problem for me in most games/simulators, as I'd just return to the setup screen and fix it that way, but it seems the setup options are so numb this year, that no matter what I change, the car feels barely any different, and the same issues persist. I have spent hours in time trial fiddling with the setup options to find a sweet spot or something that makes the car more driveable, but it seems the setup screen is useless, because nothing feels any better, nor is anything much quicker, than the default (balanced) setup. I'm not asking for a physics overhaul, but just make the setup options actually do something, rather than being there for show. This is my opinion, feel free to disagree.

I'm happy to read that because Codemasters has done a very good game with more difficulty finding the right setups. I think the time when we saw crazy wings setups of 1-11 or 11-1 is over and that's a very good news. There will be more close racing with this game and it is really good.

If you have trouble finding a good setup, you're not alone and this is where the fun of racing goes. I really enjoy it…! 

Be patient and have fun…!

• Agree 1

I have to agree, physics feel hopeless to me too, the rear indeed feels floaty on grip loss, wierd feeling with understeer and oversteer at the same time, also the sound.. my goodness that is horrendous. The engine note is not right at all on the rb15, and engine note is not connected to the rear wheels, when losing grip while on trottle the rpm should go up, it doesnt. Im going back to f1 2018 for now until a decent update comes out for 2019, hoping they are going to fix it in the neer future.

• Like 1

It’s so subjective but for me 70 hours in I literally love the handling of the cars! It was a bit strange at first but now I’m up to 108 difficulty at Austria. 

I have no issue with understeer and I feel the oversteer nicely. The only problem for me is feeling the traction , especially at at a corner exit with bot longitude and horisontal forces. 
The A.i is scare good at that. Even regular traction. Unless it is wet, whereby the air under traction is more or less broken. 

I don’t tweak the setup more than downforce levels rise height and brake bias. And always equal downforce levels. 

3 hours ago, Bobino12 said:

I'm happy to read that because Codemasters has done a very good game with more difficulty finding the right setups. I think the time when we saw crazy wings setups of 1-11 or 11-1 is over and that's a very good news. There will be more close racing with this game and it is really good.

If you have trouble finding a good setup, you're not alone and this is where the fun of racing goes. I really enjoy it…! 

Be patient and have fun…!

Yeah now the stupid and crazy benefit the assist (ab)users have online and it could actually be fun again.

No crazy wings, but max toe and camber etc is pretty common just like with Group B cars in Dirt Rally 2.0. When you start seeing that, you know the physics were not taken that seriously. 

11 hours ago, NoseyGuyy said:

yep, to me these games has allways felt like the cars have no weight to them what so ever. Like they jerk into a direction instead of turn into a direction and doesnt have any sense of friction between the tires and the track. Changing set ups is just simply a circle of making the car jerk slightly slower or making it jerk slightly faster into turns. Like the handling model is only simulating corner entry and corner exit and leaving out the mid corner physics of a car going around a corner.

• Agree 1

I went back to another fave game of mine after spending a year on F1 games exclusively. I was stunned by how amazing the car handles and responds to minor tweaks very well and accurately. Simply put in the F1 games your car behaves like it is on rails until you lose control and that's it. The rails change each year but the handling does not. 

• Like 1

Just an idea... for the next game how about adding some feedback for off throttle oversteer? Because right now it's non existant.

Posted (edited)

I hated it and then it grew on me but I took a break from it the last few days and dont feel the itch to go back to it this year, I think they've really got it wrong overall. F1 2018 I was hooked start to finish. This year is not as addicting and lobbies are dead also so it feels kind of lifeless. Unsure whether to carry on this year tbh, unfortunatly.

Edited by PureDriving
  • Agree 1

For me, the handling is better than 2018 especially when you have dialled in a set up. 

My view is the physics are really good but there is not enough high speed downforce or power.

19 hours ago, LChaves01 said:

Just an idea... for the next game how about adding some feedback for off throttle oversteer? Because right now it's non existant.

This is exactly how I feel.

- The cars feel more responsive this year, but they still feel rather floaty for a super stiff high downforce F1 car.

- There is very little oversteer ever, except on throttle. If you get a big differential between front and rear wing you may have a some oversteer in a highspeed corner, but there is no oversteer on entry or mid corner of slower corners. Only on throttle in which case the car acts like it has no differential programming at all (unlike the real cars which basically have traction control with how they do throttle maps and diff settings).

- There is no balancing of the tires other than don't overheat them. The only way you overheat them is if you spin or slide. No flatspots or overheating from locking up or anything so its basically just push all the time.

- The setups just completely feel like a waste of time to me. You shouldn't be able to take a default 6/6 setup at a track like bahrain and be just as fast as a tuned setup for the downforce levels required.

- Everything (except me maybe) drives in T-cam anyway so who cares. No virtual mirror and T-cam makes the game way easier to pick apart the apexs and curbs plus just gives you even more numb of a feel of the car.

- I just feel overall the cars are still not responsive, feel like boats, have insane understeer mid corner, no oversteer except on power, and yes the cars seem to either have 100% grip or 0% grip. Its a Codemasters game so i don't know what we really would expect, but anyways it stinks...

I still enjoy the game even with these shortcomings!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Oversteer off throttle.. maybe lowering the decel diff with help create that? I rarely go below 60 because it seems you have to exaggerate trail braking so much to get it to turn that I haven't thought about it much.