Jump to content Jump to content

Grid Game Wishlist and Ideas

Maybe it's time to have a discussion on what the community would like in the next grid game, cars, new tracks, how the game runs etc... use this big stretch of time before the next release to our advantage, more ideas. Things seems to be running a lot better in terms of communication on this forum so feedback on ideas by codemasters will be much easier.

So...

What would you like to see in the next grid game? Personally I would like:
  • More tracks including Donington Park and nurburgring (nordeshlief if that is how it's spelled)
  • Come back with classic racedriver grid cars such as the lacetti
  • A career mode with the same layout as racedriver grid
  • The ability to have closer racing with a new handling system
  • To be released on next gen consoles 
  • New games modes like infection on dirt 3, game modes to have fun with
  • Bring back freestyle drifting!!! :)

If you have anything in mind then speak up :)

EDIT by PeteTheDuck: Just edited the thread title slightly

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/74897/#Comment_74897
justbiglee said:
We're working hard on some other things at the moment but a new GRID is never off the cards. Why not tell us what kind of things you would want. 

Maybe start a next GRID game wishlist and just start posting up ideas like the DiRT guys did?
@justbiglee :

The on-track driving experience in Grid AutoSport is fantastic. Unfortunately, the rest of the game is rife with extremely poor design decisions that seem intended to hinder & frustrate players. Here are some things I'd like to see done differently...

• AI cars/drivers that are NOT marauding vehicular barbarians.

... In motorsport-style races, AI should drive like race drivers - not like it's demolition derby.

• If non-racing modes (like drifting) are available, do NOT make them required events in any racing series.

... Having other things to do with cars beyond just racing (like gymkhana) can be fun, but they should be separate from racing. It's a real buzz-kill to lose a shot at a series medal because my poor drifting skills dropped me a bracket in a racing series.

• NO traffic in Time Trials.

... How am I supposed to set my best lap time in a Time Trial when swerving, brake-checking, corner-clogging, AI bumper-cars are in the way?

• NO repair costs or degradation of cars over time.

... Damage should be automatically & freely reset/repaired after each race, the same way it is in almost every other racing game (including CodeMasters' own DiRT & F1). It's especially frustrating when the game's own psychotic AI drivers are viciously bashing my cars & driving up my repair costs.

... Buying cars for my multiplayer garage feels like a waste of credits when repair costs eventually become too much to maintain. But if I don't buy cars, I can't upgrade or tune them to be more competitive. It's a Catch-22.

... Repair costs are not an incentive to drive clean. Instead, they almost encourage trolling & bashing because some drivers in rented cars (who don't have to worry about repair costs) get a malicious thrill from wrecking others who will incur repair costs.

• Far less grinding (or none at all) to unlock car upgrades & tuning options.

... By the time all of these options are unlocked on a multiplayer car in Grid AutoSport, the repairs needed along the way have drained the funds needed to buy the actual upgrades - and by then it's like throwing money away on upgrades because I'm closer to having to sell the car & start over on a new one due to the car's gradual degradation & rising repair costs.

... For those players outside the global top 20 in driving skill level, it can be prohibitively time-consuming in non-upgraded cars to build up the credits needed to upgrade while constantly losing events (getting lower XP & payouts) against upgraded cars.

• Ample garage space (by default, not through paid DLC).

... If events are segregated by car class/category, then there should be enough garage space for the player to keep at least 1 car in each category - without having to spend additional real money on DLC.

• Only real-world tracks.

... As visually appealing as the scenery around fictional tracks can be, I don't think game-makers are good track designers when it comes to course layouts. I have yet to drive any fictitious track in any car racing game that came anywhere close to feeling as enjoyable & rewarding as any real-world track layout. If you're going to stick to only real-world cars in the game, why not stick to only real-world tracks as well?

• NO required events on reverse layouts.

... Reverse layouts should only be available in custom cups/lobbies & should not be included in any career events or pub lobby playlists. It's just silly to run Spa or Hockenheimring backwards.

• Post-launch support.

... Not just for bug-fixes/patches, but also for things like policing cheaters & updating lobby playlists.

Text chat.
Text chat.
TEXT CHAT.
TEXT CHAT!!!
T E X T  C H A T ! ! !
I think you understand about text chat, if not - look few previous strings. Until you understand and do what you must to do. Ty.

No flashback online becose its race, its about skill and knowledge. For me its even more painfull, i feel bad when cars flickering and appearing everywhere on my screen. 

Need a Spectator mode so ppl cant spectate and take this skill, expirience and knowledge from pro by watching how they play.

No upgrades for online, like grid1 with 1.3 patch. Becose its forcing ppl to live in game. Or do not play. You cant go any discipline and win even if you have 10k hours in all grid games. So ill repeat it again - its about skill, not about playing 333 hours and buy parts for win. There are many ppl 20 30 year old, they cant play so much, and when they go online they cant have fun, coz there are ppl with all cars upgraded. But pls, do not make pocket suck by creating "DLC wich gives you money exp and so on", why buying a game and want have what we pay for. Just do not do this system. And when you do ability to set up lobby do not use upgrades or anything else you separate ppl. DO NOT SEPARATE PPL! do not do region restriction, and other things and options wich can separate players. You have not a huge players base, so do not do it even less.
Feel free to sell cars but do not do track DLC, its separate player again.

Do not make performance tuning online in any way. There will be allways ppl who have more time to find setups for abuse. Do not make simulator from simcade, there are enough realistic simulators. Its should give us feel the car but should not be too hard.

I know you will not do this, coz you suck hard :D but ill say anyway -  modding.  Valve sells hats and have more money than you doing so much work with physics and real life racing stuff. Ppl like to customize, think about it, It can be great alternative to upgrade system. Ability to visual tuning instead of performance tuning.

Force feedback is flat now. Do something. Play some rfactor and feel how it should be and do better maybe, but for now its not ffb.

And last.
Be closer to grid 1, it was perfect, it was simple, userfriendly simcade and has big players base. There was text chat and no flashback online. It was like log into game, go to lobby, race and take you place depending on you skill. It was fast and simple. Now we wasting so much time with this shitty setups, repairs and so on. More race, less waste!

Peace!

Add support for Half-Over-Under 3D.

All that's needed for this is JUST output both left and right images (50% scaled-down vertically) to the same screen: left one at the top, right one at the bottom. That's all.

3D TV itself will do the rest (regardless of what exact 3D technology is used by the TV).

gor said:
Text chat.
Text chat.
TEXT CHAT.
TEXT CHAT!!!
T E X T  C H A T ! ! !
I think you understand about text chat, if not - look few previous strings. Until you understand and do what you must to do. Ty.

No flashback online becose its race, its about skill and knowledge. For me its even more painfull, i feel bad when cars flickering and appearing everywhere on my screen. 

Need a Spectator mode so ppl cant spectate and take this skill, expirience and knowledge from pro by watching how they play.

No upgrades for online, like grid1 with 1.3 patch. Becose its forcing ppl to live in game. Or do not play. You cant go any discipline and win even if you have 10k hours in all grid games. So ill repeat it again - its about skill, not about playing 333 hours and buy parts for win. There are many ppl 20 30 year old, they cant play so much, and when they go online they cant have fun, coz there are ppl with all cars upgraded. But pls, do not make pocket suck by creating "DLC wich gives you money exp and so on", why buying a game and want have what we pay for. Just do not do this system. And when you do ability to set up lobby do not use upgrades or anything else you separate ppl. DO NOT SEPARATE PPL! do not do region restriction, and other things and options wich can separate players. You have not a huge players base, so do not do it even less.
Feel free to sell cars but do not do track DLC, its separate player again.

Do not make performance tuning online in any way. There will be allways ppl who have more time to find setups for abuse. Do not make simulator from simcade, there are enough realistic simulators. Its should give us feel the car but should not be too hard.

I know you will not do this, coz you suck hard :D but ill say anyway -  modding.  Valve sells hats and have more money than you doing so much work with physics and real life racing stuff. Ppl like to customize, think about it, It can be great alternative to upgrade system. Ability to visual tuning instead of performance tuning.

Force feedback is flat now. Do something. Play some rfactor and feel how it should be and do better maybe, but for now its not ffb.

And last.
Be closer to grid 1, it was perfect, it was simple, userfriendly simcade and has big players base. There was text chat and no flashback online. It was like log into game, go to lobby, race and take you place depending on you skill. It was fast and simple. Now we wasting so much time with this shitty setups, repairs and so on. More race, less waste!

Peace!
Everything that gor said.

Grid 1 was the best because it was purely skill based.  No vehicle setups, no tuning or upgrades. 

Features list to have:

- Cockpit cam view with detailed interior (imagine grid3 without that... "a bitch please")
- grid semi-sim style handling
- slipstream
- detailed hud
- great damage model
- real tracks and cars
- text chat stream lobby and race
- spectator mode from lobby and race
- methodical lobby organization with few rooms
- custom list sorted by host, with host kick
- public list sorted by event with kick vote
- both public and custom, ranked and customizable !
- racenet cloud, to save on racenet account ghost lap times and replays and cars livery 
- custom livery visible online
- time trial with upload of trial record online leaderboards
- all leaderboards visible on game and browser
- show best lap times for all players at race end
- weather system
- pitstops, flags and rules. Safety car.
- online nickname of racenet account and not steam nick !
- improved wheel support
- le-mans 24h
- demolition derby
- full collision settings (on, off and forward) for all kind of lobby.
- Assist On or Off 
- Manual or Automatic shift as users settings and not by lobby.
- Full option for who join already started lobby race.
- show name and flag of racers on the street
- search for name of racers into main lobby
- old style grid1 drift mode
- female names
- sector times multiplayer
- dedicated servers
- assist off for public playlist
- new penalty system
- more real tracks

Feature list to delete:

- flashbacks online
- track cut penalties (or make community poll) 
- no upgrade and tuning, one field level of game, and lap time challenge.
- no region steam-wall, all the world listed into the same custom/public list
- DLC (avoid fragmentation)

• weather like in dirt 3. for example, spa raining; spa dry, day; spa wet, night...
  • grid 1 like career. start driving for other teams, get money, start your own team, get a team mate, fire him/her, get a new one, climb up the ranks
  • was playing grid 1 and noticed that the team outfit colours are the same as car livery
  • more tracks. like nurburgring, nordschleife, laguna seca, suzuka, circuit de la sarthe + the current tracks. the autosport raceway is really cool. so many tracks that none have to be added as a dlc.
  • no dlc at all
  • if you REALLY must, then dlc should be only cars, but no new car subcategory dlc like touring legends for autosport
  • display values of colour hue, saturation and lightness when creating car liveries. now you have to select the colour what "looks like the one you want"
  • get rid of the whole street category (this might upset some)
  • with the street category gone, focus more on the other 4
  • no one car subcategories. except for open wheels
  • endurance subcategories: gt group 2 (gt3), gt group 1 (gt1), super gt (with cars such as lexus rc f super gt and toyota prius super gt), lmp 2, lmp 1.
  • a variety of race cars. should have roughly the same stats so the player could choose the favourite not just the fastest.
  • le mans and le mans series races (in career and/or custom lobbies)
  • 1 major sponsor slot (pays double) for career and online
  • many lap endurance races with pitstops and tire wear
  • gt3 in le mans instead of gt2 (i know gt3 is not allowed in le mans)
  • change the old z4 gt3 to the new one dammit
  • text chat
  • add the possibility to show "sorry" with a push of a button in online races to apologize
  • some lamborghini and ferrari race cars if possible (gooby pls)
  • are ravenwest cars in grid 1 deliberately programmed to be faster than your car? (it's just a question)
  • will add more if anything comes to mind
  • edit - yeah, no upgrades and tuning online
  • also, aston martin dbr9