Sign in to follow this  

Patch 1.6 - FOV Settings for consoles?

And yes very much to a more 'free' cam... If we can place the cam up, down and forwards and backwards to a greater extent than currently is the case, @PJTierney this would be a great outcome. Presently I find for example the Golf forces the camera too high.

• Agree 1

I don't even play on console, but I have to say the explanations why FOV adjustments are never coming to console are ridiculous. The exact same cars and cameras already exist on PC, with the exact same positioning etc... adding a slider similar to PC but which only adjusts from the console default FOV to LOWER settings should be extremely simple.

• Agree 3

On 7/8/2019 at 7:42 AM, PJTierney said:

I can ask but from a layman’s perspective that would require adding new cameras to 50+ cars and ensuring all are bug-tested, across multiple platforms.

It can happen, but at the cost of something else most likely as dev hours are limited and the team is working on some big things right now.

Yes, bringing in a feature will require testing etc. As will any feature. But perhaps this would be thoroughly worth it, as all the players of the original who loved and got used to the dash-cam have been somewhat alienated by the decision to remove a perfectly good feature which had clear merit...

On 7/8/2019 at 8:43 AM, ShodanCat said:

I don't even play on console, but I have to say the explanations why FOV adjustments are never coming to console are ridiculous. The exact same cars and cameras already exist on PC, with the exact same positioning etc... adding a slider similar to PC but which only adjusts from the console default FOV to LOWER settings should be extremely simple.

Yeah, it should be pretty simple to implement, and performance would not decrease at all if it only goes lower / zooms in and renders less so no worries there. There have been console games with adjustable fovs before so it's not unheard of, they just seem unwilling to do it for whatever reason. The biggest hurdle would be changing the maximum amount on the slider to be the current level of fov zoom on console. I guess that is insurmountable?

It's strange the lines they apparently draw with some features. Not unlike adding the trigger vibration of the Xbox One version on PC with supported gamepads. The devs just don't want to do it for whatever reason, even though their F1 games on PC do have that functionality and have for the last few releases. It's silly. More recently, HDR support on PC is another, sure it's still a niche feature, but it exists and plenty of games can do it. F1 2019 PC does but Dirt Rally 2.0 does not.

Just back on the brightness/darkness issue (as this seems a double-headed thread)

I've played through all tracks now with HDR switched off. And the darkness is no longer a problem! Really, only in that small patch of forest in Poland is it an issue. In NZ there is a section which at sunset has very dark shadows, but the road is still clearly visible. It makes sense overall, an atmospheric take on lighting.

So it's a HDR issue, but the game really looks a lot better with HDR switched off anyway, imho. Things are just all rather dull with HDR on.

8 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Just back on the brightness/darkness issue (as this seems a double-headed thread)

I've played through all tracks now with HDR switched off. And the darkness is no longer a problem! Really, only in that small patch of forest in Poland is it an issue. In NZ there is a section which at sunset has very dark shadows, but the road is still clearly visible. It makes sense overall, an atmospheric take on lighting.

So it's a HDR issue, but the game really looks a lot better with HDR switched off anyway, imho. Things are just all rather dull with HDR on.

I play with HDR on and have never had these brightness issues others have posted, Im on PS4 Pro with LG B7, What you on Jake? While the luminance is not ideal in HDR the colour palette and those wonderful skies makes HDR off look like a cartoon. 

I have to agree the game for me looks a lot better with hdr on but it does seem to exaggerate the shaded/dark problem!

Are you guys making sure you have the brightness turned up in game and are not crushing blacks with how the TV/Consoles are set up. 

1 hour ago, FLAW3D said:

I play with HDR on and have never had these brightness issues others have posted, Im on PS4 Pro with LG B7, What you on Jake? While the luminance is not ideal in HDR the colour palette and those wonderful skies makes HDR off look like a cartoon. 

Xbox One X. This year's model LG - their top of the range 49 inch. It sure ain't the TV's problem. I've fiddled with all the settings too.

Sure, the skies look amazing with HDR. But then the rest of the image seems dull... and I wonder if the skies look so good for that reason alone. They still look terrific without HDR. The TV-set does 'dynamic contrast' without HDR anyway, and it seems like there's nothing lost for me...

I guess it's horses for courses. I'm no longer bothered by the darkness problem now that I have switched off HDR. It's a great looking game and seems to look better with each patch.

You dont want to be using dynamic contrast especially not on this years LG as with HDR on it tone maps. Could be the Xbox crushing the blacks as its always had a history of doing so. 

43 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

You dont want to be using dynamic contrast especially not on this years LG as with HDR on it tone maps. Could be the Xbox crushing the blacks as its always had a history of doing so. 

Sorry I don't get what you meant there. Is dynamic contrast bad for the tv? I use the dynamic contrast with HDR switched off. Seems to make the image 'pop' more, the skies get that super luminous look to them etc...

Yes it may be the xbox implementation of HDR that's to blame. But seriously, some tweaking and the game with HDR-off looks mighty amazing.