My Career Mode Summary: Season 1

Starting a series based on my Career Mode experience with only talking one season per topic so hope to share your experiences and for this I'm covering Season 1 ONLY.

Disclaimer: This season runs 25% race distance.

After F2 my first team for Season 1 is Toro Rosso with Albon as Teammate, Weber joined Alfa Romeo with Raikkonen and Butler in McLaren with Norris.

Throughout Season 1 R&D, the Top 3 of course swapped around each other with Red Bull and Ferrari fighting for the best car while Mercedes dropped a little
The Midfield is extremely tight, despite Renault being more consistent they build a bridge away from that scrap and catching the Top 3, Racing Point is the 5th best team for the rest of the season mid point until last race they dropped to 3rd worst car, Toro Rosso I had been lacking the upgrades since I been out of luck in terms of R&D spend and the regulation change I had to prioritize keeping the upgrades for next season.

705005723_S1ScreenShot2019-07-0805-48-04.thumb.png.12fb7b046b3d9a7a6985ee6083a9cf86.png

Now the actual Championship itself with Ferrari being more faster throughout no surprising they won the constructors with Vettel taking the Driver's title despite Hamilton had a strong first thrid of the season and Red Bull only had 2 wins each with Gasly winning in his home race in France and Verstappen winning in COTA and nearly took 4th in the championship from Bottas, Perez was best of the rest in F1.5 with Hulkenberg close behind. The top 3 teams stationed for the whole season but the midfield was very surprising, McLaren ended up last in Season 1 despite having good battles with Butler and Alfa Romeo climbed to 6th thanks to Weber. Haas hadn't scored since Hungary which dropped them down to 9th and often at the back of the field with me, Albon and McLaren. Williams were upgrading rapidly that led them to getting good amount of points with the highlight of being Kubica pitted under VSC in Baku and undercut everyone and hold on to finish in the points and Russell scored consistency.

210641450_S1ScreenShot2019-07-0805-47-35.thumb.png.6cd68b9ca8c1e45dd8da86eb767101b1.png

In terms of Driver changes there's only 1 change and it's at Japan with Kvyat replacing Weber at Alfa Romeo and Weber joining Williams replacing Kubica who had to let go.

105457385_S1ScreenShot2019-07-0805-49-16.thumb.png.2e374bd9d218e37970771208a126c497.png

So if you're wondering how Alfa performed well because Weber scored almost all of their points but enough to hold on 6th thanks to Kvyat picking up where Weber left off and by partnering with Williams, Weber still scored for the remaining 5 races with them to secure 7th in the constructors.

1821381597_S1ScreenShot2019-07-0805-48-42.thumb.png.15fcd337306dd91b2ab804e664a5116c.png

1493973069_S1ScreenShot2019-07-0806-38-16.thumb.png.9e67cf6a78dae25e1044fdf54370090b.png

The only one who hadn't scored in Season 1 is Albon who was always at the back being nowhere near the points which led to me scoring all of Toro Rosso's points.

That's how I summarize my Season 1 Career Mode so what are your's? Onward to Season 2!

S1 Screen Shot 2019-07-08 05-48-42.png

• Like 2

Nice, however that R&D chart after only 1 season just proves R&D is way too fast. I know there are reg changes but something needs to be done to nerf R&D.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, martbloke said:

Nice, however that R&D chart after only 1 season just proves R&D is way too fast. I know there are reg changes but something needs to be done to nerf R&D.

And with you now keeping a lot of R&D points when switching teams it's even faster, they might as well go to 2017's way of progression, yes it's painfully slow and won't shake up the field until Season 5 but with reg changes it's the perfect way to balance the R&D system.

Nice was thinking of doing a Red Bull Academy thing myself for my career when I get started on it. I was originally going to do Williams and go up through the Mercedes ranks but I'm doing Williams on my 2018 career atm so was thinking to keep things fresh so was thinking I'll change my 2019 plans a little bit for when I start my career. I may still do a Williams career further down the line on 2019 as I can see myself doing more than one career given enough time. I'm just altering my current plan because I've decided I don't really want 2 careers on the go where I'm racing for the same team

If I ever do career again in one of these games I'm turning flashback off permanently. Team point progress will then be naturally and realistically slower. The whole game will be way more exciting and I will have deserved every point I make. Even the pros crash their cars and lose sessions or races, the season is 21 races long plenty of points opportunities over several seasons. Plus I will obviously have to drive more realistically like IRL and not go for crazy passes anymore or turn 1 dives. 

Edited by sloppysmusic
  • Agree 1

Despite all the bad comments about the game (currently I'm just doing times on TT, waiting for the performance patch to start my career), your career mode seem quite in a good pattern, without any "random" transfers and massive updates coming from the lower teams. Keep that up, I would actually appreciate if you keep updating your save. Cheers

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

If I ever do career again in one of these games I'm turning flashback off permanently. Team point progress will then be naturally and realistically slower. The whole game will be way more exciting and I will have deserved every point I make. Even the pros crash their cars and lose sessions or races, the season is 21 races long plenty of points opportunities over several seasons. Plus I will obviously have to drive more realistically like IRL and not go for crazy passes anymore or turn 1 dives. 

Totally agree. I have disable flashback and am happy with it. You just think twice before dive bombing.

recently, I spinned during the last lap in Paul Ricard on a wet race. I finished P12 instead of P6. But this is motor racing and even if you lose from time to time, it’s much more funnier and authentic.

On the driving licence, you have your flashback stats.

Everyone should have a look and say, well I cheated this number of time. This feature makes the game much more realistic than other discussions here. For me, flashback should not be made possible at all!

Now I must admit that if AI cars get you out, I really feel angry not to have this opportunity.

Edited by philappleraily
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

@philappleraily agree totally with the ai crashes.... That's when its useful but you cant disable it and also have for emergencies at the same time.. If it's enabled it's just too easy to flashback any mistake. If I get a lot of ai wrecks I just lower the settings for ai as you race slower but more accurately when not using them. 

• Agree 1

Well I just finished my 1st season with racing point had a few driver transfers at round 7 I think 4 driver changes all middle teams including my teammate perez who I was having a good battle with . Had one top team driver transfer at end of season gasly got replaced by sainz at redbull . What im really gutted about is I had an reg change on aero and chassis I spent the first part of season buying all of the quality contol so less chance of failure and was planning on doing an massive upgrade for start of season 2 I adopted the parts already had on car then like an dimbat I went and orderd an raft of upgrades near the end of season so get a nice performance boost at start of season 2 . But the problem there is I lost all the updrades with the reg changes . And now I have the 3rd slowest car . With the upgrades having to be completed before can adopt over 3000 thousand recourse points I lost threw it and looking at the other teams rate of development its going to be canny hard to catch up . Also ive still got one of the fake drivers as teammate even thow I whooped his ass in first season buttler it is were weber has left I keep getting asked questions about how he would be settling into his new team but he isnt even in my career any more but he done all right when was in the hass beating magnussen on most accessions ahead in tables and he gets the boot were butler my teammate who im thrashing got kept on . I was a bit worried the driver transfers would ruin the experience somehow but it hasent been too bad for is like said 1 driver from top team gasly and he got replaced by sainz who was on the redbull programme any ways . Only down side ive got at min is the sc doesnt work didnt have one at all in first season did get it in austria but the wasent even a crash or anything when came out and just before the start of the ladt lap before it came in I was stuck on a limiter the whole lap and when the sc did come in the a1 raced instantly like the are surpose to slow down a bit till sc enters pit but the a1 just floored it so couldent try and get the jump on any one . Once the performance patch comes and hopefully a sc fix in with it ill be starting a new game at moment mvlaren are at top with the top 3 teams close behind . Wouldent care I was going to sign for mclaren at start of season 2 as well 

28 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

@philappleraily agree totally with the ai crashes.... That's when its useful but you cant disable it and also have for emergencies at the same time.. If it's enabled it's just too easy to flashback any mistake. If I get a lot of ai wrecks I just lower the settings for ai as you race slower but more accurately when not using them. 

I lowered my difficulty of 5 just for not using flashbacks and not over driving.

i could rise it up again of 5 if the Ai does not make rocket start and being too fast at the beginning of each GP. It’s like they drive in hotlap mode till ers is empty!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Nice was thinking of doing a Red Bull Academy thing myself for my career when I get started on it. I was originally going to do Williams and go up through the Mercedes ranks but I'm doing Williams on my 2018 career atm so was thinking to keep things fresh so was thinking I'll change my 2019 plans a little bit for when I start my career. I may still do a Williams career further down the line on 2019 as I can see myself doing more than one career given enough time. I'm just altering my current plan because I've decided I don't really want 2 careers on the go where I'm racing for the same team

I’m kinda in the same torn position haha. I was gonna do a Racing Point to Merc career as I’ve never done that before but I decided to do a full F2 championship with a Red Bull academy driver first (which I’m really enjoying) so now I’m tempted to continue that into the career mode and go down that route but I also don’t cos I did that in F1 2017. I’ll decide eventually haha

13 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Plus I will obviously have to drive more realistically like IRL and not go for crazy passes anymore or turn 1 dives. 

And everyone else can and should do the same that fall in this category. Everyone wants to be a F1 driver or immolate their favorite driver or drive to their favorite team. But they don't want to drive like a F1 driver.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, philappleraily said:

I lowered my difficulty of 5 just for not using flashbacks and not over driving.

i could rise it up again of 5 if the Ai does not make rocket start and being too fast at the beginning of each GP. It’s like they drive in hotlap mode till ers is empty!

I checked the ers with a1 other day after 3 laps and while all the cars were still close racing and it looked normal to me some were in overtake with 10 percent battery some were in low with same battery charge and a few in medium and the were all racing iether defending or attacking so not sure if its an bug or what on the xbox one but do agree with the a1 harder in first part to second 

16 minutes ago, Jimmyslade said:

What about Safety cars? Did you get any at all? The real one, not VSC

i got no Safety Cars once sadly, there's a few retirements of engine failures of A.I but no Safety Car ever comes out in my first Season.

1 hour ago, ptank20 said:

I’m kinda in the same torn position haha. I was gonna do a Racing Point to Merc career as I’ve never done that before but I decided to do a full F2 championship with a Red Bull academy driver first (which I’m really enjoying) so now I’m tempted to continue that into the career mode and go down that route but I also don’t cos I did that in F1 2017. I’ll decide eventually haha

Yeah I was going to do Williams because they're at the back and I don't really like seeing them there as I got into F1 back in the day when they were winning things with Mansell and Damon Hill. Which is why I wanted to do Williams originally take them on a road to glory back to the top But the Torro Rosso looks like a bit of a handful so who knows it could be an interesting challenge. It won't be much longer though as I'm doing my last season now on my 2016 career so I'll be kind of free to start it after that. As I was hinking of alternating between 17, 18 and 19 until I eventually complete them all. I wanted t to finish one of my careers before starting 19 and I knew 2016 was my best shot at getting it done quickly as I'd pretty much already had most of the upgrades and I now have all of them so I'm just going to finish the season of just sticking to the qualifying and races as that will speed things up then I'm done. Then I can uninstall 16 and redownload 18 as it's not on my system atm and get it done.

I actually think the Toro Rosso is one of the nicest cars to drive... the Alfa, Williams and Racing Point are way trickier IMO.

2 hours ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Yeah I was going to do Williams because they're at the back and I don't really like seeing them there as I got into F1 back in the day when they were winning things with Mansell and Damon Hill. Which is why I wanted to do Williams originally take them on a road to glory back to the top But the Torro Rosso looks like a bit of a handful so who knows it could be an interesting challenge. It won't be much longer though as I'm doing my last season now on my 2016 career so I'll be kind of free to start it after that. As I was hinking of alternating between 17, 18 and 19 until I eventually complete them all. I wanted t to finish one of my careers before starting 19 and I knew 2016 was my best shot at getting it done quickly as I'd pretty much already had most of the upgrades and I now have all of them so I'm just going to finish the season of just sticking to the qualifying and races as that will speed things up then I'm done. Then I can uninstall 16 and redownload 18 as it's not on my system atm and get it done.

I felt the same as you about Williams as I was around in their glory days, so many great cars and liveries. Except the whole Senna episode leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth so I can't race as then now, I always choose McLaren, who have also had better times. If Williams hadnt had such wild success, especially with the year Prost drive that fully assisted car, Senna would not have joined them. Not their fault for that of course but one year designing a 'cheat' car which was banned for good reason and the next year producing one with poor handling and last minute welded on steering wheel adjustments probably wasn't the best way to stay ahead of the pack. 

Of course theres always at least 2 sides to a story the above is just one of them. 

4 hours ago, Andrew210227 said:

I actually think the Toro Rosso is one of the nicest cars to drive... the Alfa, Williams and Racing Point are way trickier IMO.

I don' tmean it like that I onl ymeant that it's going to be a challenge getting i tup to the front as I've been watching Arava's vid and Butler the GP2 rival is struggling to get it off the back of the grid as well. I will say that I do like the Toro Rosso livery though

2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I felt the same as you about Williams as I was around in their glory days, so many great cars and liveries. Except the whole Senna episode leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth so I can't race as then now, I always choose McLaren, who have also had better times. If Williams hadnt had such wild success, especially with the year Prost drive that fully assisted car, Senna would not have joined them. Not their fault for that of course but one year designing a 'cheat' car which was banned for good reason and the next year producing one with poor handling and last minute welded on steering wheel adjustments probably wasn't the best way to stay ahead of the pack. 

Of course theres always at least 2 sides to a story the above is just one of them. 

Yeah Senna was never a favourite of mine but it was a sad way to go. But I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Williams given my 2 favourite drivers won championships with them they also gave Jenson Button his first crack a tF1 as well so they've done a fair bit for British drivers Was hoping after Bottas and Massa were racing for them they'd drag themselves forward again but alas no.

7 minutes ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Yeah Senna was never a favourite of mine but it was a sad way to go. But I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Williams given my 2 favourite drivers won championships with them they also gave Jenson Button his first crack a tF1 as well so they've done a fair bit for British drivers Was hoping after Bottas and Massa were racing for them they'd drag themselves forward again but alas no.

Frank was always striving to be the best, to make the best car and get best drivers for them. Claire just does not seem to have that pure drive and the team has looked leader less for so long now. She can obviously manage but they stopped being pioneers a while back. I hope they can turn things around the current monopoly of unbeatable top teams is getting monotonous. 

2 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Frank was always striving to be the best, to make the best car and get best drivers for them. Claire just does not seem to have that pure drive and the team has looked leader less for so long now. She can obviously manage but they stopped being pioneers a while back. I hope they can turn things around the current monopoly of unbeatable top teams is getting monotonous. 

Yeah they looked like they were getting somewhere when Bottas and Massa were there after all they were even giving the works Mercedes a run for their money but unfortunately since Massa retired and Bottas replaced Rosberg at Mercedes they've unfortunately just gone backwards. I think if the car was better then maybe Kubica could maybe do something with it given he does know how to really race these machines and get the most out of them but I think the fact  the car is poor in conjunction with the injuries he suffered which put him out of F1 until now has just taken it's toll. It's a shame really as I think he Hamilton and Vettel fighting each other for championships in the same way Mansell Prost and Senna did was a real prospect and would have been great for F1 before he got injured. Whilst his comeback is incredible and has made for a great story in some ways I do feel he'd have been better off not coming back.

Though to be fair to Claire I don't think she likes seeing her families team down there any more than her father does. Her father was a genius achieving what he did with Patrick Head but yeah I'd like to see them drag themselves up the order again but with the way things are right now in the sport it's not going to be easy.

Edited by sjsharp2010
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Seriously surprised by the lack of driver movements compared to what I've seen many others experience, looks like you got lucky there.

Still hoping they can do something about it, especially if the variance between experiences is this extreme.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Andi said:

Seriously surprised by the lack of driver movements compared to what I've seen many others experience, looks like you got lucky there.

Still hoping they can do something about it, especially if the variance between experiences is this extreme.

The driver thing is all randomly chosenmuch like the rule change system I think though I think they said it's also partly down to performance of the relative drivers and teams as well.

I'm still on my 8th race, career mode 100% distance, full practice and quali and currently drive for McLaren with Lando Norris as my teammate. Devon Butler is driving for Racing Point with Perez as his teammate while Lukas Weber drives for Toro Rosso with Albon as teammate. So far my season has been somewhat realistic.

- Williams is dead last and finishes always in P19-P20 and gets lapped by the whole field. 

- Gasly underperforms and is currently 6th in the championship with only 35 points while Max is 3rd with 142 points I believe. 

- So far no driver transfers but I haven't completed my 8th race yet so who knows.

- Vettel & Ferrari are leading the championship. Mercedes almost always qualify 1-2 but they always shoot themselves in the foot and end up throwing away wins. In short, Mercedes suffers from Ferrari Syndrome in my career.

- Bottas is also underperforming lately. In Monaco he qualified P7 and finished P7, and in Canada he qualified P2 and finished P5.

- The Performance Table so far is like this:

Mercedes 

Ferrari

Red Bull Racing

Renault 

McLaren 

Racing Point 

Rich Energy HAAS 

Alfa Romeo Racing

Toro Rosso Honda

Williams 

I will post the results whenever I finish the season. 

• Like 1