Sign in to follow this  

My god... how did I ever play this game?

I've been playing iRacing since last year, I decided to give F1 2014 another go and OMG THE GAME IS TERRIBLE! It doesn't even feel like you're driving a car, where are the physics? I did two laps and had enough... EURGH... god I was stupid thinking these games used to be good. 

Maybe 2014 just handles poorly? I dunno, I remember driver aids being on even when I turned them off when 2014 came out.

But Eurgh.

I hope Codemasters actually attempt to make a sim with their next game, if it ends up arcadey like before... no thanx, even Forza 5 feels wayyyyy better!

Sorry I disagree, for me a sim is a simulation of the real thing.... Is f1 10-11-12-13-14 just that.....how far that simulation goes, is codemasters interpretation of F1...but I agree the simulation could be a bit deeper.....

Agreed, I still play RACE 07 for example and although it was released before the Codemasters F1 franchise it still feels way more realistic than these games. It also has customized pit stops, full pit stop control, difficulty sliders and much more. The best thing is that it costs only 10% of the price of F1 2014.

Agreed, I still play RACE 07 for example and although it was released before the Codemasters F1 franchise it still feels way more realistic than these games. It also has customized pit stops, full pit stop control, difficulty sliders and much more. The best thing is that it costs only 10% of the price of F1 2014.
Well, that's because games these days are dumbed down so 2nd graders can play them and win.

I remember Steven hood saying once , everybody who plays , what ever your level and the time you have available, just load up and play.....

The problem with Stevie boys vision was that, 90% of people who were going to "just pick up and play" a racing game, will 90% of the time pick Gran Turismo or something similar and not so much of a niche sport such as F1.

They might as well try and make this one  more in the direction of a full sim, what have they got to lose really?
The last 2 games were terrible, so the world isn't expecting much.

Tixylix said:
I've been playing iRacing since last year, I decided to give F1 2014 another go and OMG THE GAME IS TERRIBLE! It doesn't even feel like you're driving a car, where are the physics?
Unless you've actually driven a 2014 F1 car, none of us have any idea what it feels like. I've heard several people who've driven the F1 teams' actual simulators say they're a lot easier and less exciting to drive than you'd think.

still playin 2014 and enjoying it big time!!!! Even though I'm terrribly slow I LOVE the way the car feels and responds!!! Besides that, what's OP's point? Poppin in here just to tell that 2014 is rubbish???? Don't get that - Way too much negativity in these forums. Looking forward to 2015!!!

You probably don't understand anything if you're yet to see the many, many issues with the previous games, so instead of looking to understand them you come across as a  fanboy, which when you put multiple exclamation marks at the end of your praise for the game, screams fanboy.   ( !!! )

You might be surprised about the console racing community. If you consider sales, the closer you get to a sim the better the sales. With GT leading the way.

All they need is some assist and 'quick setups' that actually work. 

I remember Steven hood saying once , everybody who plays , what ever your level and the time you have available, just load up and play.....
that's because they've always said they want people of all skill levels to be able to pick up and play the games. Even Anthony Davidson  said in an interview that some games are harder to drive than the real thing and it should be semi realistic but at the same time not overly difficult for people to play which I agree with. I think they do have things right for the most part but it sounds like what they should have done is what they are doing I think for 2015 and including a hardcore mode for those that prefer a more sim based experience and leave the old difficulty settings the way they were. Which is a mistake they made with 2013 that screwed the whole thing up for those that preferred the old system. So those that prefer the old simcade feel can still have it. I kinow I prefer the simcade feel so I'm pleased that they're keeping that in mind  for 2015.  As assuming I do get the game which is doubtful at the moment I'm unlikely going to be using the hardcore part.

The problem with Stevie boys vision was that, 90% of people who were going to "just pick up and play" a racing game, will 90% of the time pick Gran Turismo or something similar and not so much of a niche sport such as F1.

They might as well try and make this one  more in the direction of a full sim, what have they got to lose really?
The last 2 games were terrible, so the world isn't expecting much.
You have a good point there, but don't forget that an F1 fan is not automatically a die-hard sim fan. Although I do think it's always better to make a simulation based race game, and add driver assists to make it more accesible, instead of mixing things up.

But from the looks of it, F1 2015 will have a sim mode alongside the sim/arcade mix from previous games, wich is very good IMO (although I personally prefer the physics style of past games).

mmpaw37 said:
You probably don't understand anything if you're yet to see the many, many issues with the previous games, so instead of looking to understand them you come across as a  fanboy, which when you put multiple exclamation marks at the end of your praise for the game, screams fanboy.   ( !!! )

I am not replying to start some ridiculous petty squabble about 'sim this' arcade that' etc, but based on what we've been presented with over the years - and the fact that Codemasters has to cater for both PC 'sim' brigade as well as the more simplistic version for consoles, is it that hard to understand what they are faced with...?

They have to create/develop the game which appeals to both systems, and having a fully blown simulation product on the consoles is just not viable...at least from the consumer base point of view.

It's not about catering for players on different platforms, thats irrelevant and would have no bias in how they develop a game, by that logic you might as well include xbox in there as well.

He's saying console players wouldn't buy it if it was hard because they are all casuals and suck.

Whixh Which is bs, but whatever. 

Fundamentally you need a game that allows users of varying ability to set consistent lap times.  Going full sim can be incredibly frustrating if the cars are so hard to control that you need to be a pro to do a full race distance without a spin.  If you think you’d step into a real F1 simulator and match real drivers lap times you’re delusional, there’s a reason they’re professionals. So there needs to be a balance.  No doubt there are improvements to be made on the handling and feel, however I like the strategy side to F1 (something the games lack depth and variety in) which requires users to lap consistently.

Idk what you talking about.
There are
 arcades (nfs etc) no need to train
 simcades (grid dirt f1 etc) need some skills but no live in game
 sims (iracing rfactor etc) need good skills and a lot of time to achieve and improve them

Every game has his own auditory, it is how it should be.

Why are they trying to please the casual gamer when the sport as a whole doesnt appeal to a casual audience? How many countries even have F1 on free to air TV anymore? How many casual viewers are goingto flick the tv onto F1 at the precise time a GP is airing when they have hundreds of pay tv channels designed to appeal to the idiotic masses with 5 second attention spans. 

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CODEMASTERS JUST MAKE A GAME FOR THE FANS 

Why are they trying to please the casual gamer when the sport as a whole doesnt appeal to a casual audience? How many countries even have F1 on free to air TV anymore? How many casual viewers are goingto flick the tv onto F1 at the precise time a GP is airing when they have hundreds of pay tv channels designed to appeal to the idiotic masses with 5 second attention spans. 

Well said :) lets hope they have finally realised that and 15 will blow us all away!

Exactly, Formula 1 is probably the most logical out of all the motor sport categories to have a simulation game.

Why are they trying to please the casual gamer... - coz a lot of them
...when the sport as a whole doesnt appeal to a casual audience? - i think less than 1% who watch racing play games and less than 1% of them are not casual gamers.
How many countries even have F1 on free to air TV anymore? - I have  :D
How many casual viewers are goingto flick the tv onto F1 at the precise time a GP is airing...f1 fan is not allways f1 game fan, or f1 sim fan, its mostly rare i think....when they have hundreds of pay tv channels designed to appeal to the idiotic masses with 5 second attention spans. 

You just loking from your point and do not see all picture. Its not only black and white around you =)