Sign in to follow this  

Why no full OSD in cockpit view

Posted (edited)

Why it's so hard to add option to turn full OSD on in cockpit view? 

I'm talking about speedometer and gear indicator, if you drive in certain FOV and camera angle, you can't see what gear you are because you own steering wheel gets in the way.

Also virtual mirror and clear indicator when DRS is activated would be nice.

Edited by Karppuuna
  • Like 1

It definitely would be nice to have a throttle and brake gages so you can ensure you are getting 100% on both.

Try simhub or something like that. There are dashes like real F1

• Agree 1

The Dirt Rally series generally doesn't let you do this either, but you're even at a greater disadvantage there since in most cars you can't ever tell what gear you in regardless of steering wheel position.  However there are various smartphone apps that will sync with both Dirt Rally and the F1 games to show you whatever information you want.  For use in a racing cockpit I got a clamp style phone holder and have one of my old yet still working smart phones connected up to it full time.  I use it for Dirt Rally, and have used it for F1 however since I don't have a F1 style of cockpit having my real steering wheel overlap the in game steering wheel is actually not realistic in my situation, so with the correct field of view I see the full in game steering wheel un-obstructed.  I'd be sitting way too high in the F1 car if I tried to align it with my steering wheel.

But yeah, they should just add the option to show this information in game in cockpit view if you want to.  Don't know why they just outright assume you're able to see all the important dashboard elements.  But there are third party solutions.  

Posted (edited)

Yes Green lights are the indication to the thing that DRS has been activated MyCCPay

Edited by Michele70

21 hours ago, Karppuuna said:

Why it's so hard to add option to turn full OSD on in cockpit view? 

I'm talking about speedometer and gear indicator, if you drive in certain FOV and camera angle, you can't see what gear you are because you own steering wheel gets in the way.

Also virtual mirror and clear indicator when DRS is activated would be nice.

You could buy a phone mount for your wheel, and create your own dashboard. Lots of good apps out there, and much better than the generic steering wheel info in the game.

IMG_0961.jpg

21 hours ago, lilfurbal said:

The Dirt Rally series generally doesn't let you do this either, but you're even at a greater disadvantage there since in most cars you can't ever tell what gear you in regardless of steering wheel position.  However there are various smartphone apps that will sync with both Dirt Rally and the F1 games to show you whatever information you want.  For use in a racing cockpit I got a clamp style phone holder and have one of my old yet still working smart phones connected up to it full time.  I use it for Dirt Rally, and have used it for F1 however since I don't have a F1 style of cockpit having my real steering wheel overlap the in game steering wheel is actually not realistic in my situation, so with the correct field of view I see the full in game steering wheel un-obstructed.  I'd be sitting way too high in the F1 car if I tried to align it with my steering wheel.

But yeah, they should just add the option to show this information in game in cockpit view if you want to.  Don't know why they just outright assume you're able to see all the important dashboard elements.  But there are third party solutions.  

True. At least in Dirt we have the option to use helmet cam so you can see the dash, readouts on most cars. Ones without them typically have H shifter, so that isn't really an issue.

Posted (edited)

They add option to turn on Gear Indicator and speedometer in Dirt Rally 2.0 cockpit cam after people ask it in their forum.

Edited by Karppuuna
  • Agree 1

Yup they added it in Dirt 2.0 after user request. Unfortunately the F1 team are different to the DiRT team and don't take this stuff onboard, as a correct FOV user I've been asking for it since 2015, falls on deaf ears.

Speaking of DRS, I don't seem to see it on the 2019 Mercedes.. I'd assume there is one? Now I just have to make sure the driver pushes it with his thumb to confirm if I got it or not.

12 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Speaking of DRS, I don't seem to see it on the 2019 Mercedes.. I'd assume there is one? Now I just have to make sure the driver pushes it with his thumb to confirm if I got it or not.

I think the DRS on Merc & Ferrari is on a paddle behind the steering wheel, on the left side if I remember correctly.

10 hours ago, AvengerGR35 said:

I think the DRS on Merc & Ferrari is on a paddle behind the steering wheel, on the left side if I remember correctly.

Ok, thank you. The Ferrari has a light to show it is activated. That's more what I'm looking for on the Merc. The way it is now, I more depend on the wind noise to confirm its activation.lol 

Yep, for Mercedes i didn’t find any visual help to see it’s activated or not. The only possibility is the wind noise or to look into the mirror. 

The Mercedes DRS activation is done via the 'OT' button on right side of the wheel.

There are no lights to say whether DRS is active though. You kinda have to either look back, listen for the wind rush, or trust that it's open.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

Yep, for Mercedes i didn’t find any visual help to see it’s activated or not. The only possibility is the wind noise or to look into the mirror. 

There actually is a visual aid for the Merc. The green lights flicker reaaallly lighty when DRS is available and stop flickering when activating. It’s barely noticeable though.

• Agree 1