Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Ai Track Awareness (Qualifying)

Recommended Posts

Hey Guys!!!  Loving the game so far but having a bit of an 'old' issue.... the Ai Track Awareness during Qualifying or Practice sessions.  It seems this issue is more annoying now when the cars come out of the Pit and commit to turn 1 as if they were in the race itself when leaving the pits then once they are out of the corner proceed to slow down on the racing line and then slowly move over... I've heard a few other people complain about Ai's messing up their hot lap by coming out of the pitlane as a car is on a hot lap.

Is it possible to have AI aware of cars between the start/finish line and approaching the pit exit at speed and they just slow down and not just come out on the racing line and slow right down?  Maybe something triggering their speed limit on exit??

Just a suggestion... not sure if others would agree or seen the same issue.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JensonBottom said:

This has been a problem since F1 2010 so I wouldn't bet on it ever being fixed.

Yeah i remember they announcing a fix a few years ago and they made it better (the AI moving over on straights) but that was it.  Now the pit exit is really annoying especially when you are about to start a hot lap.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bluwaters said:

Yeah i remember they announcing a fix a few years ago and they made it better (the AI moving over on straights) but that was it.  Now the pit exit is really annoying especially when you are about to start a hot lap.

Yeah the only 'solution' is to try and figure out when all the AI tend to all come out the pits and workaround avoiding them. Is extremely annoying, especially as there's no consequence like in real life.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happens a lot. I find it very strange that cars on out- or inlap don't get blue flags. Always had this issue with Codemasters f1 games. Blue flags should be a thing in free practice and qualis, and the AI should react correct to the flags. This don't just happen in turn 1, but all around the track if you catch up to a car on a slow lap before a corner. 

 

Codemasters should listen to their forum about all these different things that is ruining the game for the players. It is just pathetic with all the different issues that they NEVER fix, year after year. 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Uppern said:

This happens a lot. I find it very strange that cars on out- or inlap don't get blue flags. Always had this issue with Codemasters f1 games. Blue flags should be a thing in free practice and qualis, and the AI should react correct to the flags. This don't just happen in turn 1, but all around the track if you catch up to a car on a slow lap before a corner. 

 

Codemasters should listen to their forum about all these different things that is ruining the game for the players. It is just pathetic with all the different issues that they NEVER fix, year after year. 

Blue flags aren't a thing in FP or Qualy. You just have to make sure you leave a decent gap. I agree it's really annoying when an AI car blocks you, but for Codies to correct that is really hard to program I imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understood they have the flags for Inlap, Outlap and fast Lap in the UDP telemetrie. Why can't it be used properly. A car on an outlap or inlap don't drive on the racing line and if a faster car on a fast lap approaches on a straight, the slower cars braking on a straight prior to the next corner.

I mean it is functioning very well in our league sessions and I'm not into programming, but i think it could be solved.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

As I understood they have the flags for Inlap, Outlap and fast Lap in the UDP telemetrie. Why can't it be used properly. A car on an outlap or inlap don't drive on the racing line and if a faster car on a fast lap approaches on a straight, the slower cars braking on a straight prior to the next corner.

I mean it is functioning very well in our league sessions and I'm not into programming, but i think it could be solved.

Because they haven't implemented any sort of unique behavior for those situations. They literally just use the blue flag AI or a tiny variation of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did make a change (going back a few titles) because it was really bad and so many people complained about AI cars on their out laps driving at qualifying pace or on their cool down lap still pretty fast which meant they stayed on the racing line.   Codemasters fixed that, to an extent by making the cars go off the racing line except for when they are in corners....  they tend to speed up to racing speed white getting on the racing line and then brake check you while getting off the racing line (after the corner).

Think they need to modify their AI behavior during the Qualifying sessions more to real life like track awareness based on a real player or another ai crossing the start finish line at full speed.  They are radio calls warning you about leaving the pit lane, maybe they should be ones warning you about cars on their hot lap so you can slow down in the pit exit lane until the fast car has passed and it is safe to enter the track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a major gripe of mine in all racing games. Hotlap here we go woooahh ai speeds out of pit right onto the racing line. Surely it can't be that difficult to program the ai pit release code to NOT allow release when any other car, ai or human, is in sector 3. In real life teams would get a lot of flack if they never paid attention to what other cars were doing and ruined hotlaps. It's dangerous too! 

Obviously towards end of qualifying with time running out you have to expect this but again like real life you don't HAVE to wait for the last 3 mins to post your best time! Would definitely like this issue fixed. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well surely it's just a case of having a proximity area (invisible of course) around your car say around 200-250m so that when the edge of it reaches an AI car ahead that is on an out, cool down or in lap, it knows to get off the racing line asap. If they are approaching a corner and it's calculated it will hit the corner as you are to take it, they should speed up to full speed, get round the corner asap and then get off the racing line. If there is anything outside this, it should be a flat out blocking penalty applied to the AI.

 

If they are on their outlap and behind you when you are on a hotlap, they should not not going full pace behind trying to overtake. 

 

Of course if they are on a hotlap of their own, then oh well, fair game!

 

Surely that's not too hard to do is it? If shooters can do it for enemies LOS, then surely it's a similar thing here no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's annoying that the AI is allowed to get away with obstruction in the game world that would get them penalized in RL F1. Been an ongoing thing for years though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

This is a major gripe of mine in all racing games. Hotlap here we go woooahh ai speeds out of pit right onto the racing line. Surely it can't be that difficult to program the ai pit release code to NOT allow release when any other car, ai or human, is in sector 3. In real life teams would get a lot of flack if they never paid attention to what other cars were doing and ruined hotlaps. It's dangerous too! 

Obviously towards end of qualifying with time running out you have to expect this but again like real life you don't HAVE to wait for the last 3 mins to post your best time! Would definitely like this issue fixed. 

1) every game that uses AI has this kind of issues. I'd argue F1 2019 is actually the best at 'backmarker/outlap AI' (though still fairly poor), so why'd you think this is an easy fix?

2) "Surely it can't be that difficult to program the ai pit release code to NOT allow release when any other car, ai or human, is in sector 3" --- this isn't remotely realistic, and would likely cause more problems than it solves anyway

3) "In real life teams would get a lot of flack if they never paid attention to what other cars were doing and ruined hotlaps. It's dangerous too! " --- it's a game, not real life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew210227 said:

1) every game that uses AI has this kind of issues. I'd argue F1 2019 is actually the best at 'backmarker/outlap AI' (though still fairly poor), so why'd you think this is an easy fix?

2) "Surely it can't be that difficult to program the ai pit release code to NOT allow release when any other car, ai or human, is in sector 3" --- this isn't remotely realistic, and would likely cause more problems than it solves anyway

3) "In real life teams would get a lot of flack if they never paid attention to what other cars were doing and ruined hotlaps. It's dangerous too! " --- it's a game, not real life.

I don't say it's an easy job, but at the end of pit lane are the lights. If they are green AI can go to the racing line, if they are blue AI has to be aware of traffic. This can't be really hard to program.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I havn't bought the 2019 version yet, am still playing 2018, very much doubt I will, perhaps second hand in the new year...

Never will I buy a game at release again since Project Cars 1. The only exception is Red Dead Redemption 2, Rockstar is perhaps the only company that can release a game that is anything like finished and tested. Best wait until the last patch is released and the game is in its best possible state, will be much cheaper too! Reading the response here on the forum about F1 2019 does nothing to change my mind.

Two years in the making and it seems the old bugs (once patched) persist, along with a new batch. Admittedly the game has improved year on year, I've been playing since codies got the license, but same bugs reappearing in the new release after being patched in the previous edition is just plain criminal. Rave reviews in the press as ever, yet it appears one step forward an two back.

AI awareness of both cars on hot laps and blue flags is very poor and hasn't improved much in nearly 10 years! Am playing the German GP in the 18 game at the moment, and turn 9, the fast right into the stadium section, is perhaps the worst example in the whole game. AI cars simply brake hard on the apex right on the racing line! Terminal damage guaranteed. Happens for AI vs AI too, wrecks in the middle of a high speed section, will the safety car will be out? No chance of that!

Please code the AI so that when a fast car is approaching in quali or under blue flag conditions, to FIRST move off the racing line and then slow. Or if already near the braking zone for a corner to behave as normal then, on the exit, FIRST move off the racing and then slow? Your 99% there, a small tweak to existing code would solve the issue. As things are the AI slow then move aside causing many a crash, or ruined lap. The problem is the braking when on the racing line, the rest of the AI behavior is ok. Then there's the pit exit, simply don't accelerate and allow the faster car to pass, there is a warning light at the pit exit so the logic already exists, it just needs to be acted on! The only situation where the AI behave correctly is on the straights. It's in the turns, on the exit of turns, and the pit lane exits that need addressing.

I wish you guys and gals all the best testing and reporting the bugs, work codies should have done already! Maybe by the time I buy the 2019 game it'll be functional or at least less frustrating.

 

Edited by ChasteWand
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said @ChasteWand!!   It should be something simple in the code i would think... since they already have the AI's set to move off the racing line, just need to adjust the timing of the move and not brake check.   The hardest part i feel is the cars slow down first and then move off the line slowly....    which is completely opposite to what they should be doing LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I was being clever setting the AI to 40 for the Qualifying. That was a bad choice. 

Is there an "ideal" setting for AI on qualifying? Or just put it at 100% and be done with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Thought I was being clever setting the AI to 40 for the Qualifying. That was a bad choice. 

Is there an "ideal" setting for AI on qualifying? Or just put it at 100% and be done with it?

One of my buddies i race with actually said he changed his to 110 and it seemed to help with them not being in the way as much because they are actually driving faster.  I haven't tried it yet but if you do let me know LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bluwaters said:

One of my buddies i race with actually said he changed his to 110 and it seemed to help with them not being in the way as much because they are actually driving faster.  I haven't tried it yet but if you do let me know LOL

lol Hell, it can't hurt! I've done some offline races at 110 and let's just say I lost. Right from the green light.lmao  Can stay in the middle of the pack right up until ERS is gone.ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

lol Hell, it can't hurt! I've done some offline races at 110 and let's just say I lost. Right from the green light.lmao  Can stay in the middle of the pack right up until ERS is gone.ha

Yeah that sounds about right HAHAHA  I actually keep mine at 85-90 for me to enjoy it and feel a proper challenge and not be like - what's the point? HAHAHAHA

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bluwaters said:

Yeah that sounds about right HAHAHA  I actually keep mine at 85-90 for me to enjoy it and feel a proper challenge and not be like - what's the point? HAHAHAHA

lol True. Depends if I know/like the track or not. Austria, Catalunya, Silverstone etc I'll go pretty high. Monte Carlo = 0. Actually, I think I simmed that one as well as Bahrain.lol. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×