Console or PC? - Apologies if this is a very old question

Hi All,

Just getting back in to F1 sim. I run F1 2018 on Xbox one X. Xbox presents a number of limitations particularly with regard to number of buttons/encoders that are recognised (not many). So I am considering a shift to PC, but it is an expensive decision - high performance CPU, GPU, cooling and so on. But you get greater mod opportunities (simhub etc.). However having had a quick browse through this forum it seems there are still performance issues with F1 2018/19 running on a PC? (Reminds me of the bad old days of GP2, 3 and 4, almost deja vu) 

So, requesting the collective's advice - should I shift to PC, or stay with my X box?

Thanks all for helping an old timer out.

Edited by Taiecosell

For simracing there is no other way than PC ofc.No performance issues until you use triple screen in this game.

Thanks Neomo,

I have just about made my decision to go PC - not cheap though...... Can I ask, ofc?

A PC build that at least matches the current consoles should be significantly cheaper in most 1st world countries so long as you build the PC yourself. Not that you should want to settle for just that much.

I’ve played the game on both the One X and PC and I ended up staying with PC but graphically the difference is barely noticable and both run 4k60 just fine if you have the right spec. The only issue I’ve had is when the game is running everything else starts to lag so basically I can’t have the game running in the background whilst doing something else. It all depends if you’re willing to spend the money for a high spec PC or not but for the price of the One X the game runs very well on it. Another thing to bear in mind is that PC always gets patches a couple or so weeks earlier than the consoles.

9 hours ago, Coffer said:

A PC build that at least matches the current consoles should be significantly cheaper in most 1st world countries so long as you build the PC yourself. Not that you should want to settle for just that much.

Thanks Coffer,

My envisaged build is:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming 8G OC

Mobo - Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 (WIFI)

Together with all the other bits, RAM, cooler and so on, here in Aus = $2,500 ish. This ought to give a good basis to expand in the future, potential second GPU if it is needed. Just looking for the specs for the next generation Xbox, I think they have been released.

Edited by Taiecosell
Typo

4 hours ago, ptank20 said:

I’ve played the game on both the One X and PC and I ended up staying with PC but graphically the difference is barely noticable and both run 4k60 just fine if you have the right spec. The only issue I’ve had is when the game is running everything else starts to lag so basically I can’t have the game running in the background whilst doing something else. It all depends if you’re willing to spend the money for a high spec PC or not but for the price of the One X the game runs very well on it. Another thing to bear in mind is that PC always gets patches a couple or so weeks earlier than the consoles.

Cheers ptank, We are a fully fledged Mac household so I have the luxury of "reserving" the PC for sim use only. I would like to understand the potential performance impacts of running simhub (or similar peripheral managers) in conjunction with the game. I am looking to include a button box and perhaps build my own wheel as some point. One of the biggest attractions to a PC base for me is the ability to mod up a custom rig. The consoles seem to limit your options somewhat.

7 hours ago, Taiecosell said:

Thanks Coffer,

My envisaged build is:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming 8G OC

Mobo - Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 (WIFI)

Together with all the other bits, RAM, cooler and so on, here in Aus = $2,500 ish. This ought to give a good basis to expand in the future, potential second GPU if it is needed. Just looking for the specs for the next generation Xbox, I think they have been released.

Yeah that looks solid. You may want to come up with a complete build on pcpartpicker and post that on the buildapc subreddit, since those people tend to be quite helpful when it comes to this stuff.

8 hours ago, Coffer said:

Yeah that looks solid. You may want to come up with a complete build on pcpartpicker and post that on the buildapc subreddit, since those people tend to be quite helpful when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks, done.